... no 10.2.7 but ...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Quote:

Anonymous sources disclosed: there will be no 10.2.7 but the next generally available Jaguar release will be 10.2.8!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
  • Reply 2 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    is right.

I highly doubt that Apple is wasting time and money updating Jaguar, when it would be best for them as a company to be pushing Panther towards a gold master.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

is right.

I highly doubt that Apple is wasting time and money updating Jaguar, when it would be best for them as a company to be pushing Panther towards a gold master.

Cool to have such competent people on this board!

If Apple wants to get a decent share of the enterprise market they will have to maintain Jaguar for quite a while. In fact a lot of software was still released in 10.1 compatible versions. There will have to be some kind of maintenance for 10.2. for some time, at least one last final release (communicated as being "final") and then at least security patches. They can just not expect everyone to make the transition to Panther for 10.3.0 ... let's see when the non-comsumers will switch, not with 10.3 but rather 10.3.1 or .2 (for Jaguar it took until 10.2.3!)
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

is right.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/panther7B59.html

Apple seeds Panther build 7B59, 10.2.8

Boooah ... I highly doubt ...
  • Reply 5 of 36
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Sanity is good. I was hoping Apple wouldn't have two different versions of 10.2.7.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/panther7B59.html

Apple seeds Panther build 7B59, 10.2.8

Boooah ... I highly doubt ...

That's a rumor site.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

That's a rumor site.

I bet a Dual G5 it's true. About seeds and builds they were always accurate! There will be a 10.2.8.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

If Apple wants to get a decent share of the enterprise market they will have to maintain Jaguar for quite a while.

Actually, this worries me. They dropped support for 10.1 the instant they released 10.2. Not one security update - for the larges commercial unix provider, this is a dangerous way to run a business. A lot of newly-converted Linux weenies are frowning at the way their new OS-provider supports its code.

I sincerely hope, Apple will supply security updates to 10.2 for at least two years, but I really doubt they will.

Looks like 10.2.8 is going to be a wrap-up release that includes all the changes since 10.2.6 for all the platforms. And then, the G5 owners will have to pay for 10.3
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

And then, the G5 owners will have to pay for 10.3

Never thought about this. You may well be right. Funny, G5ers may have to pay for the OS that will make decent use of their hardware
  • Reply 11 of 36
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Actually, this worries me. They dropped support for 10.1 the instant they released 10.2. Not one security update

Ahem!!

Quote:

Looks like 10.2.8 is going to be a wrap-up release that includes all the changes since 10.2.6 for all the platforms.

10.2.8 doesn't run on G5s.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Does that mean, there will be yet another wrapup release for the G5s? And where did you get the information that 10.2.8 does not run on G5s? \
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

Does that mean, there will be yet another wrapup release for the G5s? And where did you get the information that 10.2.8 does not run on G5s? \

From the seed notes.

I don't think there will be a wrap up release for the G5s, but I hope that the same install of Panther will work on every machine since we use CCC and clone the same system onto every Mac we have and I don't want to maintain two systems.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Ahem!!

I stand corrected :-)

Must have escaped me since I switched to 10.2 in december..

Quote:

But then, 10.2.8 is not released yet. I have no doubt the released 10.2.8 will run on G5.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

But then, 10.2.8 is not released yet. I have no doubt the released 10.2.8 will run on G5.

It won't.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

It won't.

If 10.2.7 G5 is as slow and unstable as many people on the apple discussion list claim, and Apple don't offer a 10.3 update for free, it would be strange if they didn't release a 10.2.8 G5.

Anyways, I'll wait after the Paris expo before I order a 2Ghz G5..
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

If 10.2.7 G5 is as slow and unstable as many people on the apple discussion list claim, and Apple don't offer a 10.3 update for free, it would be strange if they didn't release a 10.2.8 G5.

Any pointers? (Sorry links may be more accurate ...)

Quote:

Anyways, I'll wait after the Paris expo before I order a 2Ghz G5..

Same strategy here, but for Powerbooks ...
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

Any pointers? (Sorry links may be more accurate ...)

The FAQ describes at least three issues which will be fixed in Panther; Server not supported, DVD player audio issues as well as the fact that you have to use special install discs (10.3 will be universal for G3, G4 & G5).

Soundtrack doesn't work properly either, with crashes relating to preferences I believe.. kb article here

There is also quite a few posts with users having frequent freezes and application hangs, but I'm to lazy to link each of them "usage" discussion here

When that said, I expect Panther to do wonders!
  • Reply 19 of 36
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    JLL, could you enlighten us a little more about 10.2.8? Seed notes, compatible hardware, known issues, release date...And why we did not see the G3-G4 version of 10.2.7?
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

JLL, could you enlighten us a little more about 10.2.8? Seed notes, compatible hardware, known issues, release date...And why we did not see the G3-G4 version of 10.2.7?

There are no known issues in the latest build and I think the number change happened to avoid confusion between two different 10.2.7 versions.

What it does:

The 10.2.8 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved

reliability for the following applications, services and technologies:

Audio, Bluetooth, Classic compatibility, Finder, Graphics, LDAP, Power

Management, Safari, and FireWire and USB device compatibility.