What does this mean?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Quote:

LinuxWorld reports that Mac OS X Panther will have significant improvements for Unix users, as noted in a presentation by Apple software product manager Darren Sng. Panther will include an optional, optimized version of X11, the X window system for GUIs; a X11 SDK; kernel synchronization with BSD 4.8; IPv6 support; sychronization with FreeBSD's NFSv3; and the inclusion of Unix and Linux APIs such as POSIX AIO, poll and dlopen.

Does anyone know what any of this means?

What is X11?

Help me understand!

Comments

• Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

see for yourself

i run open office on it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

i run open office on it.

How is it? I haven't taken the plunge yet.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

i run open office on it.

I run MATLAB on it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wireless

Does anyone know what any of this means?

What is X11?

Help me understand!

X11 is a graphics API (and server) for UNIX. It along with toolkits and window managers implement a GUI on UNIX systems. X11 from Apple allows these UNIX GUI programs to be run (after being compiled for the Mac platform) more or less unmodified in OS X.

I hope that helps your understanding. Please note that it is a simple explanation and may also not be entirely correct. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

How is it? I haven't taken the plunge yet.

i don't really have anything to compare it with!

i've only used it a few times and really like it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

i don't really have anything to compare it with!

i've only used it a few times and really like it.

I use it to manage my Sun servers and even something as ugly as the Java Veritas Netbackup Administration console looks good.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by WJMoore

X11 is a graphics API (and server) for UNIX. It along with toolkits and window managers implement a GUI on UNIX systems. X11 from Apple allows these UNIX GUI programs to be run (after being compiled for the Mac platform) more or less unmodified in OS X.

I hope that helps your understanding. Please note that it is a simple explanation and may also not be entirely correct. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

you seem right, by my knowledge. the only thing i'd add is that there is a free (and open source) implementation of x11 called 'xfree86' which can run on almost all distros of GNU/Linux, and many other Unix-like environments. Apple's version of x11 is based off of a pretty recent version of xfree86. and there were (and still are) xfree86-based versions of x11 for osx before apple made theirs (which, by the way, is available right now, without Panther). There are also a few x11 implementations for windows, and i'm sure for other non-unix environments.