iPod password generator, other speculations...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I remember seeing this show on enterprise level security systems and one of the ways they allowed there employees to log in to secure info over the web was by giving them this little card that would display a password valid for a 5 minute window. The cards were synced to a server at the company in person with enough seperate passwords to cover a weeks worth of time or something.

After reading an article on slashdot about Intel's "personal server" push I think the iPod must evolve into this.

Basic idea...

My iPod either syncs or contains my user folder and all my prefs. I sit down at any Mac and it automatically detects I'm in range and my face (or chosen icon) appears as an option in the login window. I enter the current password on my iPod knowing that since it changes every 5 minutes any keystroke recorder on the public mac won't matter. I login and have immediate access to all my email, bookmarks, everything as if I was at my home mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Sounds good and it would be something i would look forward too if apple were to do it. Though i think Apple wants people to look at .Mac for their computers to sync up in that fashion. .Mac is only going to gain more functionality in the future, granted you need an internet connection, but these days how many comps DONT, and this way apple will give people more of an incentive to drop a hundred bills on .Mac.

Who knows, im probably wrong as usual.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    My girlfriend has a similar thing made by RSA Security, it refreshes every 30 sec and lasts for five years, it is the size of a key tag. She uses it to access her work systems. I don't think that this is such a great idea in its current implementation, 'a security system is a strong as its weakest link', you've heard it I'm sure. It's just a physical key, you steal it and you have access, in your case you get a free iPod if you do. You have the inconvenience of having to actually type the code, rather than having it as some sort of pass key. However the idea I think shows promise as part of a verification system.

I think the iPod has to expand in its abilities and uses, since it has so much potential for other things. I don't think the iPod is going to stay just as a music player.Only its expanded abilities must not add cost and diverge from its defining purpose i.e. to play music, but enhance and compliment that.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cesaro

My girlfriend has a similar thing made by RSA Security, it refreshes every 30 sec and lasts for five years, it is the size of a key tag. She uses it to access her work systems. I don't think that this is such a great idea in its current implementation, 'a security system is a strong as its weakest link', you've heard it I'm sure. It's just a physical key, you steal it and you have access

I'm sure she has to enter her own password too, if not, then you're right -- that implementation is stupid. But that's not the cardkey's fault.

Multi-factor security: something you have, and something you know. (Also "something you are" for biometrics)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander

I'm sure she has to enter her own password too, if not, then you're right -- that implementation is stupid. But that's not the cardkey's fault.

Multi-factor security: something you have, and something you know. (Also "something you are" for biometrics)

Must have and must know. (fingerprints and eye retina fall into the "must have" category).

The thing w're talking about here is called "SecurID" and comes in a variety of physical forms (including "key fob" and credit card shape/size).

It has a 6-8 digit numerical code that changes every 30 seconds but must also be accompmanied by a personal code (password/PIN). So you must have (the secure ID "token" as it is called) and must know (the PIN). Either one by itself is useless.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Yeah, the device you're referring to is known as a SecurID token. I think it's Verisign technology now. It's smaller than a pager; it contains six or so numbers that update every thirty sections.

The concept that the original poster envisions is a good one. The iPod could contain your roaming user folder, which would free you from being bound to any particular Mac. When connecting your iPod, it would determine you had a valid home account and ask if you wanted to log in with it. Then you're there right at your own desktop. You could synch your iPod user account with your home Mac as well. The only issue is I don't think the iPod is supposed to be used as a regular drive long term.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    My retinas change sometimes daily, due to hemorhagging (sp?)

I wonder how they allow for that?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JRC

My retinas change sometimes daily, due to hemorhagging (sp?)

I wonder how they allow for that?

You wouldn't be offered a high security job