Jack of all trades, but a master of none.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I feel like I'm kind of in a slump. As the subject suggests, I can do a lot of things okay, but I'm trying to think of something that I can really grab onto and be successful for years to come. I can:
  • Edit decently on an Avid

• Do all right with Photoshop

• Do basic web design with my HTML and Dreamweaver knowledge

• Sing okay

• Drive really efficiently and safely

• I'm kind of funny

• The list goes on and on.

I just have this expectation and desire to be in a career field where I'll do financially well. I know people say, "Do what you love," but the things I love you can't have a career in and/or can't make any decent living. So I'm kind of stuck there.

But there's something else: In this quest to be financially successful by finding a career I can be really good at, I want to do more. I feel this amazing urge and responsibility to make a difference. I hear about all these people who get these wonderful eulogies when they die about how much of a difference they made, how many lives they touched, and how much they will be missed.

And I think about myself. I haven't done anything important. I haven't fed the hungry. I haven't given to charity. I haven't spread the gospel. I haven't done anything that would make people say, "wow, he made a difference."

So...I guess I'm asking you all for your thoughts. \

EDIT: FYI, I AM currently employed, but in a job where advancement will not come swiftly or in any large amount.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    EDIT: long story short

Think about working at a university. You would be surprised at the opportunities available both through the workplace and the people in it. Most everyone does something extremely interesting in addition to their work (or extended from it) and this can spark new interests in you. From what I've seen of people that come in and out both young and old, it seems to be a good place to make a transition. However, I wouldn't know since I am one of the people that would like (and are usually required) to have their work primarily located at an academic institution.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I'm in the same boat. Keep me posted and I'll do the same. Oh, and I'm funnier than you.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    i would go to arthur bryant's (you could probably drive since it's one of your strong suits) and ponder my future over a slab of ribs.

that is if i were you, and i were in kansas city.

bunge is funny, but he's not as my grandma violet would say "HIGHlarious."

it's a dry humor.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I feel like I'm kind of in a slump. As the subject suggests, I can do a lot of things okay, but I'm trying to think of something that I can really grab onto and be successful for years to come. EDIT: FYI, I AM currently employed, but in a job where advancement will not come swiftly or in any large amount.

Sound like you are in your late twenties or early thirties? Like seven year itch in marriages, seven (or there about) year career itches also occure.

From the macro perspective, the US economy is in transition. 2.7 million job losses during Bush Administration reflects productivity changes from all the massive technology investments from the end of last decade (not from Chinese currency undervalued, mind you). The Fed is keeping money cheap and deficit defense spending keeping the economy going but many sectors are not doing well. How long will this transition be? Depends on many things, I guess.

Take it from this old man who has gone through much, i packed up, left NY and worked in other parts of the world when the depression set in. First in Europe and then the Far East. Now in China. I would say, Go East, Young Man! Lots of young, bright, entreprenurial folks from the US have found their calling here and are making good money and having massive fun as well. Its got an 8% growth rate (for nearly twenty years now, thats the average!) More and more sophisticated populace in the cities and absolutely more and more modern infrastructure. Life can be really good and your skills will be appreciated more here than there.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    It's easy to get restless at your age...

I went to your home page and looked at the images..I couldn't really get if you were married or engaged, or whether you had children..

I will assume you don't..

It just sounds like you need to settle down with a beautiful woman..and make babies...either that...or travel to exotic lands....try Canada... I am sure Murbot would put you up for a spell of chipmunkeying fun in the wilds...

When I was your age, I quit my job, sold everything I had and travelled...I met the lady of my life and we spent the next 14 years together...

I consider myself blessed in many ways...& I was able to pick up university work on the strength of my travel/work experience...

Cheers Aqua
  • Reply 6 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Some people find this book helpful. It may set you in a good direction.

What's your education background? Maybe it's time to upgrade?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Scott's right.." What color is your parachute" is a good book.

I also would recommend you pick up a copy of this book.

Very interesting indeed.

• Reply 8 of 9
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Think about working at a university.

This is exactly what I've been thinking about pursuing. Like Cosmo, I'm at a place in my life where I just need 'more'. What that is I don't know, but a few of my friends are professors at University and I think that might be a good fit for me...teaching AFX and the like part-time that is.

Conversely, I'm a bit web-savvy and my gf is a little hottie and not too camera-shy, so I got that goin for me if the U thing doesn't work out.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I've often felt the same way...always thinking I need to do more, be more creative, not sell out, yet still make a good income.

I'm not sure what your social life is like, but I think most of these pangs can be eliminated by a good woman. Being in a relationship not only gives you a different perspective in life. Sure, you may still be driven and goal oriented, but for a change, there's someone else to think about...not just oneself.