iSight and CPU upgrades

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know that you need to hack iChatAV in order to use iSight with a computer with less than 600MHz G3. My question is: Do you still need to hack iChatAV to use iSight with a Mac that's been upgraded to over 600MHz? My machine is a Beige G3 and I am planning to upgrade it to a 900MHz G3.

Please don't tell me to buy a new computer. I am already short on cash. Here is my situation: I'm trying to keep in touch with my sick father who is on the other side of the pacific ocean. He does not have a computer so I already have to buy one iMac and two iSights. I do not have any money to buy yet another computer so I must make sure that iChatAV works with my beige G3. I don't trust hacks because it might stop working the moment that iChat gets out of beta. I do have an extra $250.00 to spend on upgrading my machine to a 900MHz Powerlogix G3. If anyone tried a similar setup, please let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Well, on a beige G3, I would feel lucky that the thing boots Mac OS X and is stable. Those boxes were always kind of flakey, even with Mac OS 9. I've owned about six, glad to be rid of them.

But you answered your own question without realizing it. If you have a 900MHz G3, then you meet the iSight's minimum system requirements. Everything should work just fine.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Well, on a beige G3, I would feel lucky that the thing boots Mac OS X and is stable. Those boxes were always kind of flakey, even with Mac OS 9. I've owned about six, glad to be rid of them.

But you answered your own question without realizing it. If you have a 900MHz G3, then you meet the iSight's minimum system requirements. Everything should work just fine.

I completely 100% disageee. My Beige G3 has been rock solid for me. The only thing that cuased problems was when I added a CPU upgrade, hen I took it out my Beige was rock solid again.

I have never had as problem with Mac OS X on my Beige G3. I have been running Mac OS X since Public beta, and get this FULL TIME.

I got my Beige G3 with Mac OS X in mind OS X had been announced one month earlier and said the Beige G3 was going to be a first class citizen on Mac OS X). I personally think newer Macs are 10x more trouble then the Beige G3, not at all rock solid from what I hear.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Beige G3's. My computer has been rock solid as well even though it has been through many upgrades.

Regarding my question, I should've been more specific.

What I really want to know is: Does iChat simply look at the system profile and run if it meet the requirements or does it do stuff like check the system serial number and not run on old machines whether it meets the requirements or not?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I have successfully run iChatAV with a DV camcorder as the video source on my 8500 upgraded with a G4/450 and OS X 10.2.6 (an unsupported install with XPostFacto, obviously).

You should be fine.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks mpls244. I appreciate your help.