Epson 2200 or Photoshop problems - I'm about to lose my MIND please help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I'm figuratively (and soon literally) pulling my hair out and need some help...

I have a Nikon D100 digital camera, an Apple G4 running osx 10.2 with studio display, and an Epson 2200 printer.

I think my camera and monitor are calibrated to work with each other, because what I see in the camera is pretty consistent with what I see on screen. I've run a monitor calibration using apple osX. This leads me to suspect something is wrong with the printer or some setting in photoshop.

When I go to print on my Epson 2200, the image looks like crap (actually, it looks worse, but that's the kindest word I could come up with). There is a brownish redish tint that looks like I'm printing a sepia tone print (which I am not). It's clear something is wrong. How do I calibrate the 2200 to print faithful copies of the images on screen? Is it possible that I screwed something up in Photoshop's color profiles?

I don't recall having this problem before, and have printed images to the 2200 before without a problem, which leads me to believe it's software related. Another reason I suspect this is because when I go to "print preview" in photoshop, the image looks like crap as well (even before it actually hits the printer).

I tried using the first aid in the color synch utility (even though I don't even know what it does) and it said something like "72 of 74 color profiles are not correct" and could not fix them.

I'm really a color calibration novice, and can only say that my nikon d100 is set to adobe rgb, my monitor seems to look ok, and I don't understand enough of photoshop or color profiles to know what to fix. And when I open an image in adobe it asks something like "use the embedded profile or convert to current working space" and I don't even know what to say there.

Can someone please point me in the right direction here? I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I AM A TROLL AND RUIN THREADS.

IF I KEEP IT UP I WILL BE GROUNDED.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DVLN

This is nonesense, Apple computers don't get problems!!! Stop lying!

okay, why hasn't DVLN been banned after his first post yesterday??? this is getting outta hand. in response to the original question, unfortunately i have no idea.

\
  • Reply 3 of 5
    When I get home I am going to try printing an image directly from iPhoto and from photoshop. This way I will know if it is the printer or photoshop.

I suspect it is photoshop-- some sort of calibration issue, but as I've said, I have no clue even where to start.

There has to be a step by step guide to calibrating a printer in photoshop. I mean, I'm not even a professional, I just want the pictures to print without looking like they were dipped in bronzer...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I use ColorSync, photoshop, a 2200 and OS9. Things are probably slightly different in OSX. Here is my setup:

ColorSync:

\tInput: (Scanner color profile)

\tDisplay: Calibrated Monitor profile

\tOutput: SP2200 Premium Glossy_PK

\tProofer: Generic RGB Profile

Photoshop:

Color settings (in EDIT menu):

Working Spaces

\tRGB: Monitor RGB- (Monitor profile)

\tBlah

\tblah...

Conversion options:

\tEngine: Apple ColorSync

Print:

Choose custom button. Select ColorSync from menu. Click advanced and use Epson standard profile with perceptual rendering intent.

That should work pretty well.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I use ColorSync, photoshop, a 2200 and OS9. Things are probably slightly different in OSX. Here is my setup:

ColorSync:

\tInput: (Scanner color profile)

\tDisplay: Calibrated Monitor profile

\tOutput: SP2200 Premium Glossy_PK

\tProofer: Generic RGB Profile

Photoshop:

Color settings (in EDIT menu):

Working Spaces

\tRGB: Monitor RGB- (Monitor profile)

\tBlah

\tblah...

Conversion options:

\tEngine: Apple ColorSync

Print:

Choose custom button. Select ColorSync from menu. Click advanced and use Epson standard profile with perceptual rendering intent.

That should work pretty well.

Wow, that seems like some pretty specific advice, which is very helpful! I always feel uncomfortable just plugging in settings without understanding what I'm doing, but it seems like I've dug myself into such a mess, that I should get out first, and ask questions later.

I was driving myself crazy, wondering how in the world, with color sync and a camera that has an embeded profile, and a printer that knocks your socks off, I could be going wrong, but I guess photoshop is off in the translation to the printer...

Thanks so much for the help!