Disposable DVDs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As an alternative to renting movies out, Disney has introduced the disposable DVD, which turns black over 48 hours' exposure to oxygen. The proposed price is $6.99.

I doubt these things are at all recyclable, though the Reuters story mentions "some recycling". I think ideally the discs are returned to the distributor (return 6 played discs for a new selection), and the distributor destroys (or more likely discards) the discs. But how many people are just going to dump them in the trash?

What do you all think of this proposal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Ridiculous. As the first thing after opening one of them, I'd make a backup copy of the dvd.

So much waste if they will have that. If I saw a movie by them, I'd bring the dvd back to the store after it's seen. It would be their problem to get rid of it and pay for more waste.

What if the dvd plastic protecting cover has a small hole? You will get a dvd that is already bad? What if it has been storted in a warmer than 70 F place? What if your dvd player or ps/2 produces that much heat that the dvd dies in 40 minutes?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Buy, insert, transcode, burn, throw away original.

Another idiotic proposal to impose access control on digital media. And concerning recycling: forget it.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Make companies pay for the waste their products produce and this idea will quickly go out the window.

EDIT: added the word 'pay' that was supposed to be in there.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'd rather rent a DVD or just buy it outright than constantly contribute to this planet's already abundant landfills.

What a stupid idea.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    This sort of thing was tried years ago with a slightly different twist. It was called DIVX. It was sponsored by Circuit City and failed miserably.

The long and the short of the story......if you want to rent a DVD, rent a DVD. If you want to record a DVD, record a DVD. If you want to own a DVD, own a DVD. This is what people want. They don't want any new schemes that invade their privacy ( DIVX transmitted data back to the company about what you watch ). They don't want to own something yet not own it. And they want to be able to record their TV shows.

They don't want to clog up our landfills with old blacken DVDs.

What they do want is for it to work like the VHS method which has become established over many years.

If you're looking at a replacement for the mainstream video medium ( VHS ) this is what they must have.

That's it in a nutshell.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

They don't want to own something yet not own it.

Here's the kicker. It's to be marketed as a 'two-day rental' that you never have to return. That's an 'improvement' on the current system.

Like I tried to say before, make companies pay for their waste and we'll see less of it.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yet another "Solution" searching for a problem.

If EZ-CD can beat the $1.77 per movie price I pay for Netflix then I "might" consider it ....nahhh why would I want to. I sometimes take a week to watch a netflix movie and there is nary a "late charge" involved. The two day limit is madness.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Here's the kicker. It's to be marketed as a 'two-day rental' that you never have to return. That's an 'improvement' on the current system.

Like I tried to say before, make companies pay for their waste and we'll see less of it.

You don't have to return it but you have to either take the garbage out knowing you are making the world more wasted place to live at, or you still can go back to the video store and make THEM get rid of the unusable dvd. In which case you haven't saved anything, $, miles or time.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

...you have to either take the garbage out knowing you are making the world more wasted place to live at, or you still can go back to the video store and make THEM get rid of the unusable dvd.

Yes, but unfortunately most people don't give a crap about that.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Yes, but unfortunately most people don't give a crap about that.

yes, but you are superior to that 'most people'.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

You don't have to return it but you have to either take the garbage out knowing you are making the world more wasted place to live at, or you still can go back to the video store and make THEM get rid of the unusable dvd. In which case you haven't saved anything, $, miles or time.

/me thinks "yeah, that's brutal"

/me thinks of 3 garbage bags in garage at home

err... nevermind
  • Reply 12 of 19
    great. more crap for the land fills, as if aol wasn't bad enough
  • Reply 13 of 19
    well some movies are so crappy you can't see them more than once. but why not to wait to see them in (pay?) telly then .. i'd never ever pay to see titanic (or similars). and i'd never want to own it either ..
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

great. more crap for the land fills, as if aol wasn't bad enough

Let the company pay for their residual waste.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Rest assured I don't think this will fly. People really don't want this. What they want is what we've already got. The VHS model ( with the added flexability and better picture quality that DVDs give you ) is what people are comfortable with and will easily understand.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Rest assured I don't think this will fly. People really don't want this. What they want is what we've already got. The VHS model ( with the added flexability and better picture quality that DVDs give you ) is what people are comfortable with and will easily understand.

But that's what this is, the VHS model. Rent it, bring it back if you like, or throw it out. No late fees ever. It's the VHS model minus one step, especially if Blockbuster is willing to carry them.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

But that's what this is, the VHS model. Rent it, bring it back if you like, or throw it out. No late fees ever. It's the VHS model minus one step, especially if Blockbuster is willing to carry them.

Uh, no it isn't. People don't throw their old cassettes away and they don't self destruct. Two important differences. I think we'd see landfills full of VHS if that were the case. If you like this sort of thing I think video on demand through cable or the internet is much more viable.

Blockbuster does a nice business on marked down pre viewed DVDs.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Uh, no it isn't. People don't throw their old cassettes away and they don't self destruct. Two important differences.

My point is that these differences are a 'bonus' to the VHS model, at least in the eyes of the average consumer. And no, I don't like it, I'm against it. I just think it has a chance of catching on because people are lazy and underinformed. That means they'll use them if they're easier and/or less expensive than what they're used to using.

If someone goes to their local Blockbuster and asks to rent a flick, they wouldn't even have to know they're getting this new product and it would still work roughly the same as a two day rental. Tell them they never have to return it and they'll be gleeful.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    i remember seeing some stories 2 years ago of disposable gsm phones. so. i want to buy a phone that works 1 month in europe, and that i can call with and majorly, be called to. even from foreign numbers. are those phones really being sold anywhere? like in UK maybe?