Idea for spam filtering. Need Programming help.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok so i was checking my mail today and doing the old "teach Mail what is junk and what is not" and i noticed something. I'd say about half the junk mail is addressed to people whos email adress who starts with the same letter as mine. So what i am asking is could thedre be an apple script or terminal srcipt that would look at all you email with multiple recipients say over 5 that all started with the letter "p" or whatever.

------------------------------------------

Example:

To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] [email protected]

Subject : Penis Enlargment

---------------------------------------------

could you integrate a script and have it automatically mark this mail as junk with a script? All feedback is appriciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    There are actually better spam filtering systems out there. The problem with filtering spam at the email client level is that you still have to *download* it. A lot of people swear by SpamAssassin, and Bayesian filtering is probably a better bet than what you're proposing.

Of course, if you're ready to end spam for good, you can sign up for a service that you have all your email forwarded to. That service automatically implements a challenge:response system.

I send you an email for the first time, I get a message back asking that I reply to it so I can be whitelisted. Future emails from me will always go through. There is a company doing this whose name escapes me.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I deal with email from lots of people all the time. I signed up for a service called Spamcop. They use an IP blacklist service that blocks incoming mail from known spam abusers. They also have an option to further filter spam with SpamAssassin. This is all done on the server side. All of my email addresses forward to a spamcop.net address. I then use spamcop.net as the POP server. You can also check your held mail for false positives. I receive one false positive in, roughly, every 7,000 withheld emails.

I signed up for the service in April. Since then, it has blocked 20,000 spams from reaching my email client. It also automatically reports the spams to the appropriate administrators, and has a system for you to report any spam that gets through. I now get about 10 spams a day, on average. That's down from about 150. All for $30/year.