Metallic silver keyboard and mouse?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, I'm getting off the PB thing for a bit. With the new G5's looking as sharp and metallic as they do, is it time for a matching keyboard and mouse?

Keyboard preferences are so varied. Some like the original Apple Extended Keyboard while others like today white touch type keys. I'm thinking of going one further and have a full size keyboard in silver like the one on the current 17" PB. It's low key height make it so easy to touch type.

And to round things off, we'll need a new easier click mouse. (I'll leave the two button vs. one debate out here) Although I initially disliked the puck mouse, today I find it easier to move around (because of it's small size) than the crystal one. The crystal one also requires a tad more effort to click as you have to push the whole body down as opposed to a small button.

If it were to be stainless steel in colour, just make it finger smudge proof.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I don't think metal would be such a good choice. It conducts heat too well. If for some reason it's in a cold room it may be too cold for comfortable touch. i do think some sort of defined button would be useful. i still find myself de-clicking when doing long drags when I have to pick up the mouse and reposition it. Some sort of second button would be useful too. i used to be real keen on scroll wheels, but my finger gets sore after a while now. I can't imagine how people with arthritis feel using it. I think a well defined button (maybe 2) and a silver core instead of the white one in the mouse now would look really nice.

I have a netkey from macally with an integrated scroll wheel and have been using that now. It's wider and feels better. It's already positioned for my hands as i type anyway. Maybe Apple can take some queues?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I don't think metal would be such a good choice. It conducts heat too well. If for some reason it's in a cold room it may be too cold for comfortable touch.

No, not real metal, but a metallic coloured finishing. The keys on the Aluminum 17" PB is not metal, just painted silver.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

No, not real metal, but a metallic coloured finishing. The keys on the Aluminum 17" PB is not metal, just painted silver.

to all those people who love those metallic keyboards on their powerbooks, mark my words (or bookmark this thread)...

that paint WILL wear off over time. it's the same crap they use on interior plastic pieces in cars (detailing). it's fine if it's on an area that doesn't see regular contact with anything else, but buttons on a stereo, for example, will wear over a year or two (especially if there is any paint ON TOP OF that silver paint, like, i dunno, lettering perhaps?). the only way to prtect against it is to have another finish over them. the new JBL silver creature speakers i just got (THANKS PLACEBO!) have that extra clear coat that will protect that finish. the keyboard, from what i felt at an apple store, does not.

of course, i am just waiting for apple to come out with a chrome mouse and keyboard. fingerprints? oh yeah, guess we forgot about those.

from the same design teams that brought you the stain-friendly white keyboards.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    light up keys on the metallic keyboard.

Two button metallic mouse would be fine with me (I know that this will never happen). Use a blue LED in the mouse so that it matches the keyboard LEDs.

While we're at it, I want the G5 to be able to change color in accordance with the CPU load through the use of fiber optics and LEDs. Even better, I think that when it is doing serious number cruncing that it should emmit some ultra low bass to give it an omnious aura.

Sorry folks, I'm just depressed that my Dell is still the same old black.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

light up keys on the metallic keyboard...Two button metallic mouse would be fine with me (I know that this will never happen). Use a blue LED in the mouse so that it matches the keyboard LEDs.

okay, i just can't resist.

• Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

to all those people who love those metallic keyboards on their powerbooks, mark my words (or bookmark this thread)...

that paint WILL wear off over time. it's the same crap they use on interior plastic pieces in cars (detailing). it's fine if it's on an area that doesn't see regular contact with anything else, but buttons on a stereo, for example, will wear over a year or two (especially if there is any paint ON TOP OF that silver paint, like, i dunno, lettering perhaps?).

The letters aren't painted, they're transparent.. otherwise you wouldn't see the backlight through them

I have a Sony stereo with silver-finished buttons, but after 3 years of use I don't see the slightest sign of wear. And if Sony can do it, I'm sure Apple can
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigs

The letters aren't painted, they're transparent.. otherwise you wouldn't see the backlight through them

I have a Sony stereo with silver-finished buttons, but after 3 years of use I don't see the slightest sign of wear. And if Sony can do it, I'm sure Apple can

maybe i just get stuck with all the crappy production then. are the letters still transparent on the 12" too, even without the backlighting?

if so, i stand corrected on all counts.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Sorry folks, I'm just depressed that my Dell is still the same old black.

Let me state the obvious, with all due respect...you shouldn't have bought a dell.

That is all.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Data Point: The painted letters on my Pismo keyboard have all but completely rubbed off, after only a couple years of use. They must have changed something because the TiBook that replaced it has not shown any sort of wear on the keyboard, and it's gotten more use.

I gave the Pismo to my teenaged son - he needs to learn how to touch type anyway.

Joe