is NOW a good time to buy an iMAC, or wait till Christmas

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
hello, i'm interested in purchasing a new 17" iMAC for myself. at macmall.com the price just dropped $200 dollars and i know that you can wait a lifetime before picking up a new computer, but i was just wondering if now was a good time to buy, or if it was wiser to wait until the christmas season? I was gonna buy it this weekend with the deal macmall.com was offering, but someone told me to hold off 2 months or so with bigger sales occuring during christmas, saying i'll get the most for my buck at that time. now i know the prices always drop, but there still is a thing called buying smart and i was wondering if now is the smartest time to buy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Yes, go buy now!
  • Reply 2 of 47
    haha, its starting at $1594. yes, i'd like to buy now but as much as i do i'd like to know if this "holiday sale" holds any truth to it... it makes sense so i just dont know rite now.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Go for i t.

Oh, and it's iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'd say DEFINITELY buy it! I don't know if you were looking at the newer ones (just released on Monday) or the $200 was for the previous generation model.

Either way, a great machine!
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Was this deal at macmall on the new iMac just announced this week or the older version prior to this week's speed bumps? In any event, I can't remember when any Mac product was slashed during the Christmas season. Apple would have to lower their MAP price so resellers could advertise them (and therefore sell them) cheaper. And you know that's not gonna happen.

--Joe
  • Reply 6 of 47
    thanx joe, thats the answer i was looking for. im gonna go ahead and buy this weekend. i just got a phat paycheck . Anyhow for the person who corrected me from iMAC to iMac.... common bro, pleaseee....
  • Reply 7 of 47
    The only thing I thought I could add to the buy now side is that if you want the latest model yoou may want to wait a few weeks. My thinking is that if you buy from one of the major online/catalog places they usually offer free RAM etc. Sometimes with the new products, that they don't have in stock yet, they wait a little to start offering the bribes.

Better deals are had on the older models they are trying to dispose of. As soon as old inventory clears, and they are stocked on the new items, then the freebees return. Either way I don't see the iMacs changing before Xmas. They are good buy for the next months.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    they have refurbished 17" iMac 1GHz for $1399 at Apple
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by STL1025

Anyhow for the person who corrected me from iMAC to iMac.... common bro, pleaseee....

No, it's come on, bro; and please only has one "e."

• Reply 10 of 47
    resres Posts: 711member
    I'd wait until they put a G5 in it, but that will not be until next year. If you are going to buy one before then, might as well do it now and start enjoying it.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

I'd wait until they put a G5 in it, but that will not be until next year. If you are going to buy one before then, might as well do it now and start enjoying it.

I dont think the iMac will go G5 in 2004, call it a hunch.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Why don't you wait and buy one with panther pre-installed.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by C-Bear

No, it's come on, bro; and please only has one "e."

I do believe that 'please' has 2 e's, they're not that hard to count.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

Anyhow for the person who corrected me from iMAC to iMac.... common bro, pleaseee....

Actually thats a big part of being an Apple evangelist..
  • Reply 15 of 47
    bzbz Posts: 40member
    Buy now unless you really care about Panther. When they announce it, they will say "and it will be a free upgrade for purchasers of Macs between x and x".

It might be worth the wait till next week.

Cheers,

BZ

Quote:

hello, i'm interested in purchasing a new 17" iMAC for myself. at macmall.com the price just dropped $200 dollars and i know that you can wait a lifetime before picking up a new computer, but i was just wondering if now was a good time to buy, or if it was wiser to wait until the christmas season? I was gonna buy it this weekend with the deal macmall.com was offering, but someone told me to hold off 2 months or so with bigger sales occuring during christmas, saying i'll get the most for my buck at that time. now i know the prices always drop, but there still is a thing called buying smart and i was wondering if now is the smartest time to buy.

• Reply 16 of 47
    Quote:

thanx joe, thats the answer i was looking for. im gonna go ahead and buy this weekend. i just got a phat paycheck . Anyhow for the person who corrected me from iMAC to iMac.... common bro, pleaseee....

It's "please" with only one "e" at the end.

"Thanx" is supposed to be spelled "thanks".

The word "I", used when one refers to themselves should always be capitalized.

The word "im", though used as a prefix meaning "not" - as in "improper" - is probably, in this context, meant to be a contraction of "I am". It should be spelled "I'm" with an apostrophe separating the letters, used in a sentence, "I'm going to be anal about spelling from now on."

I can only assume that "phat" is a typo. Perhaps you meant "phar" which is an abbreviation for "pharmacy" and you meant to say, "I just received a check from my pharmacy."

"Gonna" is not a word, maybe another typo. Perhaps when you wrote "im gonna go ahead and buy this weekend" you meant, "I'm gooney by this weekend." Meaning by the upcoming weekend you will be a simpleton.

Posters engage in this kind of public service because it makes us feel smart.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Sorry to be nitpicky.

I really don't care about spelling/grammar, but if you're going to become part of the Apple clan, you should really be able to use the lingo correctly.

I was only trying to be helpful.

Trust me, if I hadn't said it, someone else would have, and in probably in a much nastier way.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Back on topic , I agree that you should wait until next week to see if Apple announces a ship date for 10.3. If they follow usual procedure, you will be able to upgrade for $20 or so if you buy a Mac after the announcement.

With the money you save on Panther, I'd seriously consider the just-introduced 1.25GHz model. Faster processor, faster system bus, improved graphic subsystem...all make this model a little more future-proof. That being said, there is nothing wrong with the just-discontinued 17-inch 1GHz models. We have a bunch of them in my office and they're great little machines.

Carson is right, some of the resellers are not offering the free* (*install fee applies, rebate required) RAM with the new models yet. You definitely want an extra 512MB, it will make a world of difference in performance. But RAM is cheap and very easy to install.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    If you are going to wait, make sure you can wait till med to late February for the computer, if they anounce iMac's in January they may not be shipping for a month or more. You may save money doing this, if Apple drops the price, as they should, on the iMac at that time. However, if you cant or dont want to wait till then buy as soon as 10.3 is released and shipping with the iMacs. Of course with projected dates of by the end of the year (or was it fall?) you might be waiting a few months anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by C-Bear

[B]No, it's come on, bro; and please only has one "e."

That is fu*#@!g hilarious!!