How much is US Sales tax?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm in the UK and am going to be ordering an iTrip (or a few) in a few weeks to be delivered to a US address.

I know that the prices on the US Store don't include sales tax but I can't see how much the tax is without completing the order which I'm not ready to do yet. I was hoping someone could tell me what % sales tax is over there so I can work out an exact cost?

The delivery address is in FL if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    There is no federal sales tax. Sales tax is determined by individual states.

In Florida, the current rate is 6%.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    In New Hampshire, it's 0%. Of course, they get us with other taxes, including the 8.25% "rooms and meals" tax.

Oddly enough, there are a couple of very popular large shopping malls right on the Massachusetts (5% sales tax)/NH border. In my town, the blantantly-for-tax-dodgers mall straddles the border so closely that part of the parking lot is in Massachusetts.

My nearest Apple Store is in another such border-hugging mall, in Salem, NH.

None of our state sales taxes look as scary as various European VAT taxes.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Yeah we pay 17.5% VAT. Although the prices on the Apple Store UK are VAT included. I never understood why sales tax wasn't shown on price tickets in the States? Because it changes so much I guess...

oh well
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Yeah, it's because it varies so much. Even different counties within states have different sales taxes.

Buy from most of the non-Apple online retailers (i.e., MacMall, etc.) and there is no sales tax at all. And they probably have a better price on something like the iTrip anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Go here for info on sales tax by state.

This site only pertains to Missouri, however.

Perhaps something like this site is what you meant? (Here, however, one needs to subscribe to obtain fuller information.)
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Even different counties within states have different sales taxes.

And even different cities and towns within counties.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

In New Hampshire, it's 0%. ...Oddly enough, there are a couple of very popular large shopping malls right on the Massachusetts (5% sales tax)/NH border. In my town, the blantantly-for-tax-dodgers mall straddles the border so closely that part of the parking lot is in Massachusetts.

My nearest Apple Store is in another such border-hugging mall, in Salem, NH.

None of our state sales taxes look as scary as various European VAT taxes.

Thank God for New Hampshire
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Delaware also has no sales tax. Most states vary between 4% and 8%, but isn't California something rather obnoxious like 11%?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Don't forget Oregon. I paid zero sales tax on the G5 I picked up last week. We get a lot of shoppers from neighboring Vancouver, Washington.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Minnesota has a 6.5% sales tax. I can't imagine having to pay 8.25% like they do in CA.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wifty

Yeah we pay 17.5% VAT. Although the prices on the Apple Store UK are VAT included. I never understood why sales tax wasn't shown on price tickets in the States? Because it changes so much I guess...

oh well

It varies from county to county and from state to state. In fact, you can wind up paying 0.5 to 0.75 more or less depending on where you shop in California, and as previous posters satated above, you might be able to get out of sales tax completely if a sales tax free state is across the state border. The US constitution prohibits states from restricting trade (only the federal governmnet can do that), so consumers just hop over the border to buy large purchases.

This might seem to be chaotic, but in general, sales tax in the US is between 6 and 9%. This is pretty low compared to Europe. If you want to buy a laptop an iPod an iSight, some software and all that, then take a plane trip to New Hampshire where you can do it all tax free. The difference in prices may well pay for most of the trip!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Delaware also has no sales tax. Most states vary between 4% and 8%, but isn't California something rather obnoxious like 11%?

Minnesota has a 6.5% sales tax. I can't imagine having to pay 8.25% like they do in CA.

CA has tax in the high 7% to 8.5 in LA County. Yes, it is a bit high when you want to buy something like an automobile. Then again, CA's out of door costs on a new automobile are ridiculously high (something like an extra $500 TO $1000 depending on the vehicle). CA is not a cheap place to live (but the food selection is the best in the world). Truthfully, I don't pay much attention to the sales tax. If I want to buy something expensive, then I will do so in Orange County (where the tax is less). Otherwise, what does the tax matter to me? If I need something, then I have to pay the tax.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Well if you buy alcohol in downtown Mpls you're paying 12% in tax. Actually downtown Mpls has some wierd tax laws. Usually higher than the rest of the state.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

you must not shop downtown Mpls very much luca, sales tax there is 10%. at least thats what ive seen on nicolette mall
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by vitaflo

Well if you buy alcohol in downtown Mpls you're paying 12% in tax.

I don't know the exact percentage, but St. Cloud (or all of Stearns County) has a "sin tax" on alcohol as well.

If people buy it...