Safari on Corporate Proxy (user/password)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am working in a Windows-dominated (surprise!) environment and I am able to do everything I want to with my Mac except browse using Safari, run AutoUpdate, and browse the iTunes store...

I entered my internet proxy settings into Preferences, and I can get online using MS Internet Explorer: A window launches whenever I start IE that tells me to enter my network username, password and domain, and once I do - I'm a browsing fool...

None of the Apple applications have a setting/input field for this information, and the login request does not launch when I run Safari (only IE)...Any suggestions are appreciated...Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    When you say "Preferences", do you mean Internet Explorer's prefs or the System Prefs?

If just the former, you should check out System Preferences -> Network -> Proxies.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    My apologies for being unclear...

Yes, I have input the proxy settings into OSX's Preferences>Network>Proxy, not just into IE...

My proxy requires authentication (username/password) and there is no option for this within the Preferences.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I work in IT and we have MS Proxy Server at our hospital. We authenicate internet traffic through the proxy (along with email and IEG) and only allow html access to browsers that have IE specific tags. This allows us to have policy standards and makes support eaiser for us. However, if this is the case then you won't get through with Safari/Netscape/Browser of Choice unless you are allowed to go around the proxy.

If this is the case then the proxy won't take you to the next step of letting you input your domain account info to let the domain controller see if your in the "internet access" group.