G5 keyboard problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I got my new G5/1.8 (standard configuration) a couple of days ago, and, lo and behold, I'm already having problems.

When I boot my G5, the red LED in the mouse lights up once or twice during startup, but doesn't function by the time my G5 reached my desktop (I have auto login). The Caps Lock light on the keyboard is lit, and when I press it, it stays on.

When I zap the PRAM at startup, the mouse and keyboard are completely functional, but apon restart, they are not.

When I boot using a different combination of keyboards and mice (G4 keyboard, G5 mouse, etc.), the G5 is functional in all combinations but when I boot with the G5 keyboard AND G5 mouse.

If I boot with one of the working combinations, and then switch to the G5 keyboard and mouse, the G5 keyboard and mouse work perfectly well.

Please help. I'll appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I got my new G5/1.8 (standard configuration) a couple of days ago, and, lo and behold, I'm already having problems.

When I boot my G5, the red LED in the mouse lights up once or twice during startup, but doesn't function by the time my G5 reached my desktop (I have auto login). The Caps Lock light on the keyboard is lit, and when I press it, it stays on.

When I zap the PRAM at startup, the mouse and keyboard are completely functional, but apon restart, they are not.

When I boot using a different combination of keyboards and mice (G4 keyboard, G5 mouse, etc.), the G5 is functional in all combinations but when I boot with the G5 keyboard AND G5 mouse.

If I boot with one of the working combinations, and then switch to the G5 keyboard and mouse, the G5 keyboard and mouse work perfectly well.

Please help. I'll appreciate any suggestions.

Do you have anything plugged into an Apple Studio Display? I've had a similar problem and I noticed someone on the Apple boards suggested it might be the fault of the Studio Display Hub. I have a 1.8 G5 with a 17'' Studio Display.

I can always tell when the mouse and keyboard won't work because, during startup the system hangs longer than it should when it says something about loading the Firewall. Before I figured out how to turn off the G5 sans keyboard (hold down the power button for 5 secs).

I've found that if I unplug my keyboard before boot things are fine. Now, this isn't a regular occurance. I find it has happened most when I have restarted and my DSL has been doing strange things. I thought once that it might have to do with the system going to sleep thus killing my VPN, though I also had it happen when a bad CD-RW wouldn't eject so I had to reboot. So no problem when actually working, but I would be curious to know what exactly is at the root of the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I have the same setup you just discribed, and I just plugged the keyboard into the G5 itself, and it works fine.

Thanks a bunch!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I have the same setup you just discribed, and I just plugged the keyboard into the G5 itself, and it works fine.

Thanks a bunch!

Good to hear! Do post if you have any more problems; I'm going to leave things plugged through the display (my cable clutter looks better that way ) so I'll try to figure out if that is most definitely the problem.