Microsoft And Motorola Said To Be In Cell Phone Venture:

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
MICROSOFT AND MOTOROLA SAID TO BE IN CELL PHONE VENTURE: Microsoft plans to announce on Monday that Motorola has agreed to produce a high-end phone based on the Windows Mobile software platform, media sources tell DRUDGE... Phone designed to make it easy to use e-mail messaging, synchronize phone with a computer... Developing...

drudgereport.com

-------------------------

my spin;

does anyone need further proof that motorola has been in bed with microsoft all this time that they've been dragging their feet on apple's processors?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You know, I had about 16 delicious jokes/comments lined up here, ready to go.

But you know what? Some things are just too damn easy. There's no honor in laying in to something this served up and over the plate.

Good golly. I can't think of two more inept, perfectly-matched companies to be partnered together. God bless 'em...they deserve each other.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Good golly. I can't think of two more inept, perfectly-matched companies to be partnered together. God bless 'em...they deserve each other.

Ditto.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/15/te...partner=GOOGLE

Microsoft plans to announce today that Motorola, the second-largest maker of mobile phones, has agreed to produce a high-end phone based on the Windows Mobile software platform.

The deal is a coup for Microsoft, which has struggled over the last four years to gain credibility in the mobile phone market.

The new glossy black clamshell-shaped phone, called the MPx200, will go on sale in Britain in October through Orange for a retail price of £239 ($383). It will be introduced in the United States through AT&T Wireless and in Asia through various Hong Kong-based distributors during the fourth quarter. The price has not been announced.

attr: NYT>Google
  • Reply 4 of 14
    From the article:

Quote:

Analysts say Microsoft needs to improve the software it makes for phones. "The reason the SPV has not been successful is Microsoft's operating system is just not good at telephony functions," Mr. Windsor of Nomura said. "When it comes to things like SMS messaging and looking up contacts it is not as intuitive to use as smart phones made by Nokia and others that have become so dominant."

Makes me wonder: although it may not be possible to spread computer viruses via the airwaves, God knows there's probably a security hole somewhere in the system which some hacker will exploit.

"Cell Phone Slammer" anybody?

• Reply 5 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Motorola is just stupid to think that this is a good idea. T-Mobile DROPPED their MS smart-phones (linky). Seems to me, T-Mo was saying: MS, you suck. Go away. MS and Moto make good partners.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    At least Microsoft won't be able to succeed in the mobile market...

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 14
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yeah, a good point, really. Yet, seeing that Microsoft's operating system mentioned by analysts is essentially Windows, I suspect one of two possibilities here:

1. Microsoft switches to PowerPC.

2. Motorola switches to x86.

In case 1 IBM and AMD are left out in the cold and will soon close shop. In case 2 IBM and AMD get a rival they have never had, since Motorola can easily beat them both in make-the-crappiest-CPU contest, and will close shop immediately.

Two technical questions remain, though.

1. Are the phone owners supposed to download 30MB security patches through WAP or through a connection with their Longhorn box?

2. Will they shut down their phones by pressing the hardware key or by going through the Start menu?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Think of the positives:

Motorola's website will achieve more hits so patches can be downloaded!

Is MS still 1 through 5? or do they need another scare to reclaim their position?

Am I the only cynical one who thinks this whole Blaster scare was the greatest advertising campaign every invented. The masses turning to MS for solutions - pa-leeze!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Yeah, a good point, really. Yet, seeing that Microsoft's operating system mentioned by analysts is essentially Windows, I suspect one of two possibilities here:

1. Microsoft switches to PowerPC.

2. Motorola switches to x86.

3. Microsoft and Motorola stick with ARM for embedded use, changing nothing.

Barto
  • Reply 10 of 14
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Motorola and M$ - A new sucky duo?

Looks like M$ doesn't want to succeed

Can't wait to see users find out their conversations being exposed to hackers
  • Reply 11 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    maybe this will become that phone add-on to that wonderful contraption "athens" that bill and company effused over several months back? whatever happened to that wonderful piece of innovation? or maybe telephone capabilities to their wildly successful tablet pc? what's that? oh yeah... well, maybe it will be a tightly integrated peripheral in the upcoming release of longhorn in 2004... um, 2005... okay 2006? ever?

yet microsoft still rakes in the money. go figure.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Check out this link for a great review and pics of the phone.

Motorola/MS smartphone link
  • Reply 13 of 14
    for them to have popped out this phone today

these two companies have to have been working closely together for some time.

Microsoft now has a legitimate way of paying Motorola huge sums of money for some legitimate looking product collaboration.

Apple's problems with Motorola, i'm sure, were completely unrelated.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bspears

Check out this link for a great review and pics of the phone.

Motorola/MS smartphone link

Now I wonder how fast user switching is on that phone, how smooth windows resize and how large the swap file is. And, more importantly, how does the BSOD look like on MPx200?