Special Edition iPod At Paris Expo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Think Secret lays down the smack:

Source: Apple planning special edition iPod for Apple Expo

By Nick dePlume, Publisher and Editor in Chief

September 15, 2003 - Apple plans to announce a special edition iPod at Apple Expo in Paris this week, a source told Think Secret.

While we must caution that the news could not be confirmed through other contacts, a reliable source alleged that Apple will unveil a special, limited "Apple Expo" edition of the 40GB model. The new iPod will be available for sale exclusively through the Apple Store.

The special edition iPod will reportedly be priced at 549 Euros, including remote control, dock, and carrying case. At press time, conversion rates put this price at about $620 USD; for comparison, the standard 40GB iPod is priced at $500 USD.

It's unclear what the special edition iPod will feature, but its said to include some sort of new remote control.

Our source also suggested that new iPod peripherals will be released, in line with past reports at MacRumors.

Separately, another informant said Apple will soon release iPod Software Update 2.1, which will address issues with iPods locking up. Version 2.1 will also include better support for USB 2.0 synchronization on Windows, as well as a bug fix for the contact issue. The latter bug fix is included with iPod Software 2.0.2, which is only available from the factory with new units.

Apple Expo 2003 runs Tuesday through Saturday in Paris. Earlier this month Apple introduced new 20GB and 40GB iPods.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    A wireless (RF) remote with a built-in LCD display that dynamically syncs to an iPod and its new remote enabled dock, would be a killer feature. A new special edition iPod that includes this, as well as a separate option for the current dock connector iPods would be really sweet for Paris Expo. I certainly hope this is what Think Secret is reporting.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Well they obviously aren't going to change the storage capacity, feature set or form factor after introducing the 20 and 40 GB models last week.

I anticipate a new, whiz-bang iPod peripheral (enchanced remote or enchanced dock) that in addition to being available separately for the 3G 'Pods, will be simply bundled with this "special edition" model for $599.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Phew !!! glad I am only a little unhappy that the 40 replaced my 30 I just got so quickly, but to see a spesh one then woot! but the price premium would have slowed me down even more so.. wonder if they will have that special change colour enclosure mod thing that the patent was about a few months ago...
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Mmmmm?OK?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Using an iPod as a remote controlled stereo, eh.

Only the dock would have to change to support this, which means existing owners could indeed be able to get in on the wireless remote thing to, so I don't know if this alone would qualify as a special edition.

My bet is the $120 premium is for an Expo iPod with Steve personally having attacked each case with a Dremel tool to sign his name in it - "Steve was here 2003 Paris! Don't steal music. (Unless it's the Beatles'. Bitches.)"

Hope they release the recording doodad thingy.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

"Steve was here 2003 Paris! Don't steal music. (Unless it's the Beatles'. Bitches.)"

ROFLMAO... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Reply 7 of 34
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Came close to buying a 40 GB iPod this weekend.

Glad I waited now.

I wish they would go with a different color though.

The "white" thing is getting old and tired.

It would differentiate this special edition iPod as well.

But thats just me.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    My gues is that the new iPod will have built in speakers, which covers the entire back panel. These speakers, produced by Bose, will fill your room with perfect sound. In addition to that, there will be two more equilizer presets. If that's not worth an extra $120, I don't know what is. Cause it sure aint a stinkin remote. LOL, what kind of remote costs $120?

Err, on second thought, what if the iPod itself turned into some kind of universal remote? You can control you TV/Cable with this remote? Wow, wouldn't that be tight. Steve is gonna use it to flip through the keynote screens, just watch.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Say it with me: "Bluetooth remote"

SonyEricsson already has a lot of kickass Bluetooth gear for their telephones, like a car unit that lets you use your phone while it's in the glove compartment.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    "Special Edition" = 60GB iPod.

Someone got mixed up...
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Special Edition will have an aluminum back with the words "Special Edition" etched on it. (???!!!??!!)
  • Reply 12 of 34
    The special edition iPod being released at the Paris Expo will allow you to change its colour scheme.

"Think Different"

Hamish
  • Reply 13 of 34
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    *NEWSFLASH!*

This just in:

Its been reported that the new special edition iPod will have an extra feature that all Mac fans in the universe want.

It will have Steve Job's signature engraved on the back.

It will be called:

"Apple 40 GB iPod, Signature Edition"

Remember, you heard it here first.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hamish

The special edition iPod being released at the Paris Expo will allow you to change its colour scheme.

"Think Different"

Hamish

i think Hamish is right... i mean, why does Apple have different colours on it's website advertising new ipods? Is there a clue in that?

Si.

• Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by si_flippant

i think Hamish is right... i mean, why does Apple have different colours on it's website advertising new ipods? Is there a clue in that?

Si.

I don't think so. Did you notice that in all the ads the iPods are still white? Just because they use a different background colour for the four ads has nothing to do with the product methinks. Dealers would have to carry 4 colours of each model. Bad.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    A new iPod with built in mini Bose speakers and new micro sub woofer that deliver stereo quality sound in the palm of your hand.

<3
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

The special edition iPod will reportedly be priced at 549 Euros, including remote control, dock, and carrying case. At press time, conversion rates put this price at about $620 USD; for comparison, the standard 40GB iPod is priced at $500 USD.

Actually, the 40 GB iPod (499 USD) already costs 549 EUR in Europe. You know, all Apple hardware is more expensive over here.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I don't think so. Did you notice that in all the ads the iPods are still white? Just because they use a different background colour for the four ads has nothing to do with the product methinks. Dealers would have to carry 4 colours of each model. Bad.

Not to mention Apple has already been through the phase of making their products with color variations. The iMacs and iBooks are now solid colors, and the iPod will be for the foreseeable future
  • Reply 19 of 34
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aleph

Actually, the 40 GB iPod (499 USD) already costs 549 EUR in Europe. You know, all Apple hardware is more expensive over here.

You get the fancy warranty though.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    The special edition iPod will start at $15,950 and include a free VW Beetle.

(shipping extra)