os x network router and monitor ??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hi,

we're using a mixed network with 15 macs and 2 pcs and a hardware-router. according to our service provider we've had 29GB of traffic last month. to check this we want to place a mac os x machine between our hardware router and the clients. the machine shall monitor the traffic and work as a router. does anyone of you know a solution to this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    note: i can use IPNetMonitor X and mac os x's internet sharing but i don't want to use DHCP in our local network as we now have static addresses...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

hi,

we're using a mixed network with 15 macs and 2 pcs and a hardware-router. according to our service provider we've had 29GB of traffic last month. to check this we want to place a mac os x machine between our hardware router and the clients. the machine shall monitor the traffic and work as a router. does anyone of you know a solution to this?

try linux on a pc, a red hat linux install has all the options ranging from workstation, firewall, file server etc etc and router. I believe you can also limit the amount of bandwidth a single machine can use in a set timeframe.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

try linux on a pc, a red hat linux install has all the options ranging from workstation, firewall, file server etc etc and router. I believe you can also limit the amount of bandwidth a single machine can use in a set timeframe.

oh - is there really no solution on mac os x? we don't have a pc left for this use
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Yeah, get a PC with some linux on it... it would be a shame to waste a nice mac in the corner somewhere! :P
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

Yeah, get a PC with some linux on it... it would be a shame to waste a nice mac in the corner somewhere! :P

we don't have a pc... and it shall be placed in the middle of a very big and empty room - everyone who gets in there will say "oh, what's this?" - "this is a mac" - "wow, why is it standing there" - "it's our router and traffic controller" - "i thought macs cannot do this?" - "of course they can"...

so - still no idea how to solve this problem?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Krassy

we don't have a pc... and it shall be placed in the middle of a very big and empty room - everyone who gets in there will say "oh, what's this?" - "this is a mac" - "wow, why is it standing there" - "it's our router and traffic controller" - "i thought macs cannot do this?" - "of course they can"...

so - still no idea how to solve this problem?
    [/QUOTE

Well a low cost pc would be best suited to this, but if you must have a mac for the task for show off purposes, then the cheapest and effective solution would be to run the mac on alinux flavour like gentoo.

Youd only need a console based system (basic gentoo install) and then download the nesacary software via gentoos portage system. If your not familar with linux be expected for some elbow grease. its a lot of hassle for your needs but will give you no downtime and a very effective solution. If cost is not a problem then try osx server.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Well a low cost pc would be best suited to this, but if you must have a mac for the task for show off purposes, then the cheapest and effective solution would be to run the mac on alinux flavour like gentoo.

Youd only need a console based system (basic gentoo install) and then download the nesacary software via gentoos portage system. If your not familar with linux be expected for some elbow grease. its a lot of hassle for your needs but will give you no downtime and a very effective solution. If cost is not a problem then try osx server. [/B]

these tools were not available for os x ??? only for linux? damn....\
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

these tools were not available for os x ??? only for linux? damn....\

have no idea what tools are available for OSX as im fairly new to x, only 9 months experiance with the system, hence the push towards linux. You could google for your answer for X or give apple a ring to see if you can blag for a positive solution.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

have no idea what tools are available for OSX as im fairly new to x, only 9 months experiance with the system, hence the push towards linux. You could google for your answer for X or give apple a ring to see if you can blag for a positive solution.

if you know the tools for linux - do you know the name of these? what software would i have to dl for linux? perhaps these tools are already ported to os x or are executable via terminal (cause of the unix base of the os)...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    cybermonkey - Are you thinking of routed by any chance?