impermeable to the Y2K bug.....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why is it that my mac(a mac that apple advertised as being immune to the whole y2k thing) randomly chooses to reset itself to some crazy arbitrary time and date?

something like 1967

or 1903 or 2067 ?

seems like that's the definition of the y2k bug, that computer clocks wouldn't know what time it was.

grrrr.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Might check the battery if it is in an old-ish mac. If the battery is dead, it date/time could be resetting to default.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    well see that's the thing, it does this every so often, I fix it, then it lasts for a while, then (seemingly) randomly feels the need to do it again.

iMac DVSE 500 sept 2000
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Actually, the Y2K bug was that some old computers used a two digit field for the year in dates (i.e. 98 for 1998 ). The 19 for the first two digits was assumed, hence the fear that the arrival of the year 2000 would make computers think it was 1900. Macs were immune to this, since they used 4 digits from the start.

Like was said above, either the battery in computer is dying, or if I recall there was some reported bug with how the date was displayed on some machines. Anyone care to elaborate?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    I'm pretty sure that it was a bug with I believe OS X 10.2.4 but was fixed in 10.2.5 or 10.2.6

If you are not using 10.2.6 I would upgrade just so that it may be fixed.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Or if you don't want to download an update that might not work, try Mac OS 9.2.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Or if you don't want to download an update that might not work, try Mac OS 9.2.

while you're at it, try os6, sysV or an abacus. (ahem: os9 is dead)
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    There are still a few of us OS9 zombies, ghosts and vampires lurking around. You don't have enough stakes to kill us all! Muhahaha!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    More's the pity...

• Reply 9 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Every now and then my menu bar clock goes military time. Hu-ah!!!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Every now and then my menu bar clock goes military time. Hu-ah!!!

That happens on my dad's account on my cube. We're running 10.2.6, and it only happens on his. There are 4 others who use the computer, and it has never happened to anyone else. My dad doen't mess with stuff like that either, he leaves it to me, and I don't touch it.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Sounds like what happens when the pram battery goes bad.