iTunes denying its own existance. . .

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
OK... here is a transcript of everything I said over at macnn... plus what others have said... PLEASE help... someone....

-------------------------------------------

THE MAC GOD

OK... I recently upgraded to the Harmoni so I could use my iPod with my iMac... WELL, I get all my music over to my iMac (since Apple won't let you just authorize or deauthorize your ipod to computers like you can itms music) and put it on my 2nd HD (40gb). I have about 22 gigs of music. When I try to add them to the library, it gets so far in the "Processing" dialog before it just stops on one song and sits there. I have a CPU monitor in the menu bar and the cpu jump to about 99 % on average.... SO, itunes is sitting there doing what appears to be nothing and sucking 100% of my power... SO yesterday I let it sit so maybe it could figure things out for itself, but 18 hours later, still a no go. I completely uninstalled iTunes and I reinstalled it VIA the SUCP. It still won't accept my music without loop-killing itself. SO, I take a moderate approach by adding only 55 artists at a time or so and it work fine for the first two times... but the third time, no go. So I try 2-3 artists... and I just get the spinning beach ball from frappin' hell...

Obviously i'm frustrated... please help if you can... argh....

Formerly "imacman11"

-------------------------------

--MACGOD--

Rev. A iMac

Master-120GB W.D. / Slave-40GB Maxtor

512MB RAM

6MB VRAM / 8MB Gamewizard

MCE 24x10x24 CD-RW

Harmoni 600mhz Upgrade

ASIMO

Veteran Member

Ironic handle. Perhaps you should change it?

Other than that, I suggest narrowing down to which artist/album/track that itunes is choking on. You said 55 artists at a time worked the first two times. Then try 110 artists first, then go a couple of artists at a time thereafter.

I have never added this way in itunes, but does itunes display which track it adds?

THE MAC GOD

People always tell me that... but confidence is an important thing...

Trust me, if it was hanging on a specific song, I would have removed the offender... but it's almost like iTunes can't handle too much music at one time... at least for me on my machine... every time I try, it grinds to a halt on a different song... but it is always early on... Maybe i'll try adding from the bottom up...

Formerly "imacman11"

--MACGOD--

Rev. A iMac

512MB RAM

MCE 24x10x24 CD-RW

Harmoni 600mhz Upgrade

THE MAC GOD

*FRUSTRATED BUMP*

Well, still won't work... tried on different drives... nothing... It still just stops on a random song and beach balls forever... ARGH AIEEEEEE..... help please!

Formerly "imacman11"

--MACGOD--

Rev. A iMac

512MB RAM

MCE 24x10x24 CD-RW

Harmoni 600mhz Upgrade

THE MAC GOD

Bump... Anyone???

Formerly "imacman11"

--MACGOD--

Rev. A iMac

512MB RAM

MCE 24x10x24 CD-RW

Harmoni 600mhz Upgrade

Raining Down in Texas

Two things I can think of:

- Is there enough space on your target hard drive for all the music? By default, iTunes will copy all the music files to wherever your library is.

- Older versions of iTunes had a limit on the number of songs in a library (see this link ). Perhaps iTunes 4 has a larger limit and you're the first person to run into it.

THE MAC GOD

Yeah... my external drive (internal drive run outside) is a maxtor 40gb... its empty and has nothing else on it... I have a 30gb iPod... Maybe i'll reformat it... Also, I don't know why Apple would sell iPods that exclusively sinc with a product that doesn't support the advertised amount of songs... DOH!@

Formerly "imacman11"

--MACGOD--

Rev. A iMac

512MB RAM

MCE 24x10x24 CD-RW

Harmoni 600mhz Upgrade

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    OK... reformatted the external drive and set itunes to forward music to that drive... still freezes randomly (well... beachballs and stops on raven.aac this time). ARGH.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    This should not be a limitation of iTunes. iTunes 3 had a limit on the number of songs in its library of roughly 32 000 items. iTunes 4 has fixed it (see KBase article). I can come up with one theory.

1. Repair permissions with Disk Utility.

2. Try to change permissions on all of the files to be imported at once with sudo chmod -R a+r full/path/to/your/music/files/folder/. If you aren't comfortable with command line interface, read further.

Make sure the folder holding the music files doesn't contain system files, applications and important documents. Fire Terminal and type:
    Code:

sudo chmod -R a+r

add a space to the end and drop the folder holding all your music files onto the Terminal's window. Make sure Terminal is front-most, press enter, type your admin password, press enter again and wait until Terminal gives some output. If it doesn't report any errors, try importing the folder again.

3. If iTunes fails, quit it, delete its preferences file at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist, delete its library (by default it's ~/Music/iTunes folder) and then try importing songs by small chunks. If your music is organized into many folders, try importing just a few at a time by dropping them onto iTunes Library (usually the uppermost item in the left list of the main iTunes window).

When it fails again, go to ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music and find the folder last imported (it should be the last in alphabetical order), open it and locate the last song. The culprit may be either that song or the following one. Try importing other folders to see if iTunes has gone mad completely or only an error occurred. If you import more than 20GB of your 22, there may be problems with particular files. If so, you should be able to reproduce them by dropping the same songs onto iTunes.

4. If something fails, launch Console and quote the last lines containing iTunes. Please, also Get Info on the folder you're importing and report the number of items in it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Well... Tried ALL that... also, here is what the console says... but it only says something when I open iTunes... You see, iTunes never crashes... it just beachballs until I force quit (and i've tried waiting it out for over 24 hours). I've tried removing whatever song it freezes on, but it just randomly seems to pick another. Also, if you read above, I've tried adding small amounts, but it still will beachball after a point. ARGH.

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt)

DOCK: CFMessagePortSendRequest returned -2

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt)

• Reply 4 of 4
    Check this out... I posted this to the other forum!!

-------------

DUDE... YOU ROCK... that worked!!! I just copied the whole iTunes folder and plopped it down here... BOOYAH... everythings there!!! You da mAN!

NOW, How do I redownload my purchased music... I only have 3 of the 5 songs on my computer that I bought... Going to "check for purchased music" returns that I have all purchased music on my computer (which it isn't). Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by aapljack:

Why don't you do something like erase your iPod, copy your iTunes music folder (with the playlist files) from your work machine to your iPod in firewire disk mode, go home, copy the files to your home iMac, replace the iTunes music folder on your iMac with the one on your iPod with all your mp3s and playlist files, open iTunes to make sure everything is linked, plug in your iPod, erase the files on the firewire hd and sync it with your iMac.

That should work..if it is not too late.

Be sure to keep your work machine as is in case something goes wrong, you can just re-sync it there and everything will be back.

-b

Formerly "imacman11"

--MACGOD--

Rev. A iMac

512MB RAM

MCE 24x10x24 CD-RW