Moving my Home folder from TiBook to AlBook

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just ordered a new 15" AlBook to replace my TiBook. What's the trick to transferring my home folder to the new machine. I want to preserve everything like: mail, stickies (hidden file I know), printers, iTunes playlists/ratings, etcetera.

I know when I start up the new machine I'll fill in all the setup info including my User Name/Short Name/password etcetera and it will automatically create an administrator home folder. I know it can't be as easy as copying my TiBook Home folder contents to the new one, because I always run into permissions problems when doing things like this. (I'll make the TiBook a target disk through firewire) I'm certain it won't let me replace all the contents of the current login folder that easily.

Does Apple have a standard way to do this? They should. Does anyone here have experience with this. Give me your clues and techniques please.

I thought about ignoring the AlBook setup and putting the AlBook in target disk mode and use a backup disk program like Retrospect to copy my whole hard drive to the new machine, but I'm pretty certain the OS 10.2.6 on my TiBook won't boot the new models. Or No?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    ummmm hummm? We used to do this all the time on the UNIX systems where I worked.

You need to use NetInfo to make sure the UID on the new system matches the old system. Then I think it would be as simple as moving the contents of the folder over. If I were doing it I'd use the command line in the shell to copy it over using something like

>cp -R /old/Users/scott /new/Users/scott
  • Reply 2 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    You don't put your TiBook in target mode, you put your new computer in target mode. Then just copy your /User/[shortname] folder from your Ti to your new computer. Make sure you copy it to the right place. It works fine that way. (I've done it many times before)

edit: When the computers have the same build of the OS (or the one your copying FROM has a newer one), you can just use Carbon Copy Cloner (a great piece of shareware) to copy the whole drive to the other drive. In this case, I suspect the Albooks will have a newer build of OS X, preventing this from working. Just use the method I wrote above and all will be dandy.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

You don't put your TiBook in target mode, you put your new computer in target mode. Then just copy your /User/[shortname] folder from your Ti to your new computer. Make sure you copy it to the right place. It works fine that way. (I've done it many times before)

Thanx guys. I would have put my TiBook in target disk mode. Also, when you first set up a computer, the primary user always seems to have 501 as the user ID, so I shouldn't have to change that, but I'll check anyway.

One question. When I've copied stuff before, it doesn't get my stickies data file because it's invisible. I'd bet there are other hidden files also, from other software. If I copy the whole home folder (from the Finder), will it grab the hidden files contained within it? Will the terminal command line method by 'Scott' get the hidden files?

Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

>cp -R /old/Users/scott /new/Users/scott

Just curious. I've hardly ever used the command line. I assume 'cp' means copy. But what does '-R' mean. I also assume 'old' and 'new' above is the exact full name of my hard drives.

Can I use this in terminal as an administrator, or do I need to do it as root?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    AFAIK, doing the method I suggested works fine for getting everything. I've never lost anything doing it this way. Scott's method will work, as well, and it will get everything. As long as you're logged in (on your old computer) as the same user you have created on the new computer, you will be fine. The only time a permissions issue should come up is when you log in as another (different) user and move the stuff because all the stuff becomes owned by that user.

If you're worried about not getting everything and you don't want to delve into the command line, you should get Carbon Copy Cloner (do a google search) and use that to move the folder. It will work fine. I guarantee it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

If you're worried about not getting everything and you don't want to delve into the command line, you should get Carbon Copy Cloner (do a google search) and use that to move the folder. It will work fine. I guarantee it.

I wouldn't guarantee it. The AlBooks come with, and require at least, OS 10.2.7 and I have 10.2.6 on my TiBook. No way Carbon Copy Cloner will make the AlBook boot.

If 10.2.8 comes out this week, I assume it will upgrade 10.2.6 and 10.2.7 to 10.2.8. THEN it would work. And this is definitely my preferred method of doing the whole switch, but who knows when 10.2.8 will be out!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by BKMaggert

I wouldn't guarantee it. The AlBooks come with, and require at least, OS 10.2.7 and I have 10.2.6 on my TiBook. No way Carbon Copy Cloner will make the AlBook boot.

If 10.2.8 comes out this week, I assume it will upgrade 10.2.6 and 10.2.7 to 10.2.8. THEN it would work. And this is definitely my preferred method of doing the whole switch, but who knows when 10.2.8 will be out!

I meant transferring your home folder, not the whole drive. You're right about cloning the entire drive.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Be warned that settings from your copied user folder could possibly cause problems on the new system.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Possibly, but unlikely because we are talking 10.2.x to 10.2.y
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macosurfer

Be warned that settings from your copied user folder could possibly cause problems on the new system.

No, they won't. (if it's between 10.2.x and 10.2.x, as 1337_5L4Xx0R said.) There are no problems in doing this. Like I've said, I've done it before MANY times.