California bans soft drink sales in school

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Link

Davis is expected to sign this new legislature soon.

What...the...heck?! Okay, first, why only in elementary and middle school? Does obesity disappear once you enter high school and college? Why are there exceptions for after-hours events and such?

And since so many soft drinks are caffeinated, doesn't caffeine INCREASE your metabolism / muscle-activity?

And how the hell is this going to reduce obesity in children when all they need to do is bring the soda from home? How the hell does this teach kids balanced dietary habits?

And why can anybody get a driver's license in this state while kids ca't even buy a damned Coke at school?

Why not just ban soft drinks and unhealthful foods altogether in California?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 161
    I don't drink much soda, and I'm graduated....so I don't care 8)
  • Reply 2 of 161
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    What is it with California?

Don't they understand drinking Coke is every american's patriotic duty....
  • Reply 3 of 161
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Link

D

Why not just ban soft drinks and unhealthful foods altogether in California?

It would like to vote for a total starvation in california
  • Reply 4 of 161
    The same law already is in effect in at least 3 states I know of. What's the BFD? Who needs more hyped up teens? Certainly not the educators. Perhaps they should teach them how to VOTE, then they can worry about not drinking caffinee.
  • Reply 5 of 161
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

The same law already is in effect in at least 3 states I know of. What's the BFD? Who needs more hyped up teens? Certainly not the educators. Perhaps they should teach them how to VOTE, then they can worry about not drinking caffinee.

But it's not about hyperactivity or caffeine. It's supposed to be about obesity / weight gain.

AFAIK, this is not a state law anywhere else despite some random school boards who enforce similar restrictions on their own. It is a big deal because this law is ridiculous no matter where it's implemented. And most middle school kids can't vote in this country...

In addition, it further strains school districts that gain revenue from contracts with bottlers/brands.
  • Reply 6 of 161
    Quote:

But it's not about hyperactivity or caffeine. It's supposed to be about obesity / weight gain.

AFAIK, this is not a state law anywhere else despite some random school boards enforce similar restrictions on their own. It is a big deal because this law is ridiculous no matter where it's implemented. And most middle school kids can't vote in this country...

The voter training would help them out when they grow up. As for the law being 'ridiculous' it may only seem so if you like soda. Obesity and weight gain are significant problems. They lead to heart disease and diabetes. A health incentive to reduce these would be a welcome change IMHO.

Quote:

In addition, it further strains school districts that gain revenue from contracts with bottlers/brands.

Schools have always been expected to raise money from various sources. Soda sales aren't gonna make or break um. Poor leadership has stripped the state educational system of money. Not the decision to cut out the corporate bubbly distributers.
  • Reply 7 of 161
    Quote:

The voter training would help them out when they grow up. As for the law being 'ridiculous' it may only seem so if you like soda. Obesity and weight gain are significant problems. They lead to heart disease and diabetes. A health incentive to reduce these would be a welcome change IMHO.

This is NOT a health incentive. It's an authoritarian ban on an otherwise legal substance. It's a drink...available EVERYWHERE. I'm all for real health and fitness education, but banning soft drink sales is not a solution. Kids can just bring these drink to school with them. Kids can drink all the soft drinks they want anywhere else.

Whatever happened to centrist political views and common sense?
  • Reply 8 of 161
    Quote:

Soda sales aren't gonna make or break um.

That's why I said it puts a strain on them. I didn't say it was a deathblow.
  • Reply 9 of 161
    Quote:

Whatever happened to centrist political views and common sense?

Dunno. Somebody got to them before you did.
  • Reply 10 of 161
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Kids aren't likely to want to drink warm pop during lunch, are they? A thermos would keep it cool, but I'm sure that's not going to happen.

These fat kids are slugging down 4 or 5 Cokes a day at what, 140 calories a pop?

Right on. Soft drinks are the devil. Ban the sumbitches.
  • Reply 11 of 161
    NO, BAN YUO!!
  • Reply 12 of 161
    Eugene,

You're wasting your time. As you can see. We've fast become sheep. Civic Duty has been replaced with a chants for more Government Control. Parents are obviously NOT the best people to raise children so the CA "Gubment" will go ahead and just usurp more control.

You can't ban just obese kids from drinking Soda's so what the hell. Ban everyone!

Hard to believe that less than 250 years ago this country rebelled against a "measly" tax on stamps when now we take taxes like it's our lifeblood. LOL.

I can tell you that in CA alot of kids have much more worries in school that go beyond drinking Sodas.
  • Reply 13 of 161
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    What they ought to ban are the fatty fast food free breakfast and lunches they give these kids. Then instead of a parent handing them two bucks for a soda and snack, they could actually prepare them a good meal at home for breakfast and of course work up something goof for lunch as well.

If the parent can't do it, and obviously the state hasn't, and the individual can't control themselves well then no number of laws will save us.

Nick
  • Reply 14 of 161
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Now people are whining that they're trying to stop businesses from selling junk foods in schools?

I didn't realize that it was a fundamental right. What is that, the 28th Amendment?

Quote:

Wherea?, the children of these United State?, in need of su?tenance thereof; the right of the children to purcha?e soft drink? in all school? mu?t not be abridged.

• Reply 15 of 161
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Now people are whining that they're trying to stop businesses from selling junk foods in schools?

I didn't realize that it was a fundamental right. What is that, the 28th Amendment?

In Revese where does it state that Governments can micromanage every portion of their consituents lives? It's a two way street BRussell. You're not complaining because it doesn't affect you. But someday the Gov will cross that line and methinks you'll be singing a different tune.
  • Reply 16 of 161
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

someday the Gov will cross that line and methinks you'll be singing a different tune.

The government stopping a private (already mega successful) industry from dealing a unhealhty product in a public state institution is crossing a line?

Hum.... \
  • Reply 17 of 161
    Quote:

The government stopping a private (already mega successful) industry from dealing a unhealhty product in a public state institution is crossing a line?

Hum.... \

No what i'm inferring is that some "other" subject will be targetted. I guess in a way it's already happened with the banning of Cigarettes in Bars and other areas. Everyone has their something.

I guess one could say that the schools are just banning the "Sale" of soft drinks. However "Gubments" can be somewhat "Progressive" about Legislation. Should this become successful it's not unlikely that you may see attempts to have soft drinks banned in their entirety in the future.
  • Reply 18 of 161
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

No what i'm inferring is that some "other" subject will be targetted. I guess in a way it's already happened with the banning of Cigarettes in Bars and other areas. Everyone has their something.

Agreed. Good point. Should they ban cell phones in cars? (even for passengers?) If they did I'd be pissed so I suppose you have a point.
  • Reply 19 of 161
    Quote:

Agreed. Good point. Should they ban cell phones in cars? (even for passengers?) If they did I'd be pissed so I suppose you have a point.

Yes that actually is another "Hot Button" issue. I'm for requiring headsets..hands free etc. But I have heard some people asking for total bans. That's a little excessive. As long as both hands can grip the steering wheel I'm ok with phones in the car.

I'm a paranoid when it comes to legislation. Here in Washington our State Government basically does what they want.

We reduce Car Tabs to $30..the find loop holes to bring it back up.

We vote for no state funding for Seahawks Stadium. They find a way to pass it anyway.

They pass a Seatbelt law where you can only receive it if you're pulled over for another offense. That wasn't good enough. Now you can be pulled over for not wearing your seatbelt. Fine is $101.

I do not trust WA State to fulfill the promise of democracy. Every attempt we have made has been countered by Gov weakening our influence. Such is life when exercising Civic Duty.
  • Reply 20 of 161
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

This is NOT a health incentive. It's an authoritarian ban on an otherwise legal substance. It's a drink...available EVERYWHERE.

This is like saying McDonald's is food. Yeah, you can eat it, but you can eat shit and die too. Soda shouldn't even be considered a drink.

Instead of deciding that soda can't go in schools, the government should decide limits on what can or can't be considered food. Junk food need not apply. Then just tell schools they can sell any food, not junk. The government is already in the habit of catagorizing everything for taxes and who knows what else. Food should be segregated and not taxed at any level, while twinkies should be freely available, but not considered food.

It would also serve to educate customers because most people do seem to think that Coca Cola is a drink, when in fact it's just a liquid. So is Drano.