How high will they bump the iBook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm in the market for a Photoshop/Freehand/Illustrator-capable portable and am in 2 minds over which way to go.

a) 1Ghz 15" PB / 512MB / 60G / Combo - $2099

b) 900Mhz (bumped soon?) 14" iB / 640MB / 60G / Combo - $1699

Is the PB worth the extra $400??

I'm willing to drop 2K max on a portable, but am now wondering whether to hold out for a bumped iBook and use the extra cash to bump the internals as well... I only wish I could bump the video card - 32MB seems a bit puny.

back on topic - when do you think they will bump the iBook and how much?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Probably not alot. They've been sticking to very incremental, 100MHz upgrades on the processor. If you're lucky, they'll give the poor iBook DDR or some other nice extras. They'll increase the value a bit, in means of the regular stuff, like bigger harddrive, more RAM possibly.

I'd say the 15" is worth the $400. You get a processor with Altivec, 167MHz systembus, and more room to grow. Not to mention the more classy look.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    definately go with the powerbook!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Since four months ago the only iBook model worth considering is the CD-ROM iBook. Reason is it's cheap and not everyone watches DVD and burn CD with a laptop.

The Combo drive iBook really sounds/looks a ripoff. The price is too close to the 12" PB (especially in the edu price)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    IBM will soon release the new PowerPC 750GX Microprocessor--a 1.1GHz G3 with 1MB of L2 Cache.

The iBooks currently use the IBM PowerPC 750FX with 512K of L2 Cache. The new 750GX is pin compatible with the 750FX, so it looks like the next iBooks (due before Christmas) will use the 750GX.

On a related note IBM has already announced that they will release the PowerPC 750VX (1.4GHz or more G3 with Altivec) in 2004. There has even been some talk that Apple might label the 750VX as a "G4" since it has Altivec, even though it's an evolution of the G3 line.

I suspect that the iBooks will receive the new Altivec-enhanced G3s in late 2004 at the same time the PowerBooks receive newer, faster G4 chips or mobile G5 chips.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by g::masta

I'm in the market for a Photoshop/Freehand/Illustrator-capable portable and am in 2 minds over which way to go.

a) 1Ghz 15" PB / 512MB / 60G / Combo - $2099

b) 900Mhz (bumped soon?) 14" iB / 640MB / 60G / Combo - $1699

Is the PB worth the extra $400??

I'm willing to drop 2K max on a portable, but am now wondering whether to hold out for a bumped iBook and use the extra cash to bump the internals as well... I only wish I could bump the video card - 32MB seems a bit puny.

back on topic - when do you think they will bump the iBook and how much?

I'd recommend the iBook. It has longer batt. life. And it has AppleWorks. The PB's don't include it.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Since four months ago the only iBook model worth considering is the CD-ROM iBook. Reason is it's cheap and not everyone watches DVD and burn CD with a laptop.

I really hope that whenever Apple does update the iBook they don't abandon this cheap low-end price point. Having just gotten rid of my TiBook for a G5 it's nice to know that I can get a Mac laptop for just over $CDN 1500 (including tax) if I end up needed a portable for work at some point.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    powerbook, its worth it... oh and make sure to upgrade your keyboard to the backlit one it's so worth the extra $69
  • Reply 8 of 8
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

powerbook, its worth it... oh and make sure to upgrade your keyboard to the backlit one it's so worth the extra $69

Agreed. Unless you're getting a laptop as a secondary machine for basic work, you'll appreciate all of the little extras that the PowerBook has (such as the PC Card slot, S-Video out without an adapter, etc...). When I first got my dearly departed TiBook, I never thought that I would use all of its connection options, but, by the time I gave it up, I was maxing out my system.