Free college, but only if you are illegal..

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Financial aid for illegal immigrants

Provocative title, I know but hey it got you in here.

Seems the pass'em while you can California State Assembly is passing a bill that would allow illegal aliens to get financial aid for college. In fact here is the intent of the bill.

Quote:

The bill, by Sen. Martha Escutia, D-Norwalk, would direct the board of governors to establish a process so students without legal immigration status can apply to have tuition waived.

So free college for illegal immigrants. Meanwhile I don't know if any of you have ever looked at state college fees for out of state residents, but they go up profoundly.

Quote:

California Community Colleges $11/unit (in-state) $130/unit (out-of-state)

California State University $1,839 (in-state) $7,380 (out-of-state)

*University of California $2,716 (in-state) $10,244 (out-of-state)

So if you live in Arizona and want to take 15 units at a community college in California, the cost is $1560 dollars for you a citizen of the United States but not yet a resident of California. However if you are an illegal immigrant, the cost can be...free.

So apparently in order to be safe from illegal immigrant drivers they need licenses. In what way does giving them a college education keep me safe? When will I be safe enough, when I have given them my house and have taken shelter in a cardboard box?

Additionally we are told repeatedly by illegal immigration advocates, that illegals are here to do the jobs that no legal immigrant or legal citizen would do. What the heck does that have to do with college? I mean I think such views (yeah I tolerate them because they pick the vegetables) are not progressive and actually pretty racist in my view. However even if they are right, why do you need a degree to be a day laborer?

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    I don't care if they picke veggies or not. I don't want to walk down the street with a person who is not a Citizen.

I'm for liberal Immigration but the RIGHT way. I can't believe our tax money is supporting this farce. I don't care if we have Immigration. It must be handled right. Free School. Driver Licenses? WTF is going on in California???

What is wrong with our current INS process?

Quote:

Not to belittle your concept of what a public education system is meant to provide -- an education --

Yes for it's Citizens. If Illegals want education let them become Citizens. The US cannot afford to educate the world on it's dime.
  • Reply 2 of 100
    Nick,

Not to belittle your concept of what a public education system is meant to provide -- an education -- but the point of any institution that deems itself to be for the purpose of education (and especially public ones) should do everything in their power to educate, and providing (mostly poor) illegals with an education is not a bad thing.

I will leave it at that.

(I also think that schools that do charge 30000+ dollars a year for school should logically do free outreach programs for their communities, and some do...)

bruce
  • Reply 3 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I don't care if they picke veggies or not. I don't want to walk down the street with a person who is not a Citizen.

I'm for liberal Immigration but the RIGHT way. I can't believe our tax money is supporting this farce. I don't care if we have Immigration. It must be handled right. Free School. Driver Licenses? WTF is going on in California???

What is wrong with our current INS process?

oh dear. i hope you are joking about the whole citizen part...

not every person in this country is a citizen, some are legal immigrants, some are not legal. lets hope you meant illegal immigrants (but that concept is dated and the ins' definition does not really make sense in the grand scheme of things)...
  • Reply 4 of 100
    Quote:

oh dear. i hope you are joking about the whole citizen part...

not every person in this country is a citizen, some are legal immigrants, some are not legal. lets hope you meant illegal immigrants (but that concept is dated and the ins' definition does not really make sense in the grand scheme of things)...

Let me clarify. I don't want to walk the streets with Illegals. Immigration needs to be tightly monitored. There is a process to become a Citizen. I see nothing wrong with those wanting to stay here going through that process. Once cannot have Civic Pride and Duty if they don't give a shit about the Country.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    Wait a minute. US Citizens/California Residents aren't eligible for financial aid?

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 6 of 100
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    People should read links because some people purposefully slander what things mean, with the hope that others don't bother to click on the links.
  • Reply 7 of 100
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

People should read links because some people purposefully slander what things mean, with the hope that others don't bother to click on the links.

Yup. From the article:

Quote:

It would require that the student attended high school in California for at least three years, obtained a diploma or an equivalent degree and, if the student isn't in the state legally, has applied to become a legal resident.

Someone from arizona can get residency by living in california for only one year. so...

Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

So if you live in Arizona and want to take 15 units at a community college in California, the cost is $1560 dollars for you a citizen of the United States but not yet a resident of California.

As noted above, it is much, much easier for someone from arizona to attend classes in california community colleges than someone without legal immigrant status.

also from the article:

Quote:

"We can continue to bury our heads in the sand and ignore it, but this helps kids who are in this state, who have graduated from high school, who we hope will go on to college, or learn a trade," said Assemblyman Joe Nation, D-San Rafael. "It's the right thing to do politically, it's the right thing to do socially, and it's the right thing to do economically as well."

If the individual is going to be a resident, it is better to have an educated resident than a non-educated one.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    Amazing how illegal has no meaning in the eyes of California democrats.

Why don't they (CA democrats) just put a sign on their homes "welcome illegals,,, free food, free lodging"

I welcome legal immigrants... I welcome legal visitors from other countries but I think something is very wrong with allowing this "anything goes" attitude towards people that are in this country illegally.

Fellowship
  • Reply 9 of 100
    Quote:

It would require that the student attended high school in California for at least three years, obtained a diploma or an equivalent degree and, if the student isn't in the state legally, has applied to become a legal resident.

Why not just wait until the Immigrant is Legal? Once they've applied. They can wait until their legal to get Finacial Aid. Then there wouldn't be much of a controversy.
  • Reply 10 of 100
    Quote:

Why not just wait until the Immigrant is Legal? Once they've applied. They can wait until their legal to get Finacial Aid. Then there wouldn't be much of a controversy.

Because it can take a few years for the INS to process the applications.
  • Reply 11 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Yup. From the article:

Someone from arizona can get residency by living in california for only one year. so...

As noted above, it is much, much easier for someone from arizona to attend classes in california community colleges than someone without legal immigrant status.

also from the article:

If the individual is going to be a resident, it is better to have an educated resident than a non-educated one.

Regardless of the timeframe an illegal shouldn't have more rights than someone who is a citizen! If the United States citizen living in California has to establish legal residency, why shouldn't the illegal immigrant.

You don't even see the double standard you apply. The citizen has to wait and establish LEGAL residency. The illegal immigrant just has to show they broke the law for a longer period of time.

Nick
  • Reply 12 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Because it can take a few years for the INS to process the applications.

Better get that app in early then right

Far too many concessions are being made for seemingly altruistic reasons. Yes it's good to have educated individuals but Processes must be followed and subjugating them by discrimination is not good. As Trumptman says. Why should they get benefits before reaching Legal status? The answer is they shouldn't.
  • Reply 13 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Wait a minute. US Citizens/California Residents aren't eligible for financial aid?

Cheers

Scott

Yes they are however only if you are below certain income levels. Likewise it doesn't have infinite resources. Should a poor legal immigrant or perhaps disadvantaged inner city black youth have to take a loan instead of a grant, or perhaps not even get enough financial aid to attend school?

California colleges, in part because of record deficits turned away THOUSANDS of students this year. They also raise their tuition to offset the budget cuts. In a time of scarcity, why should one group not only be given the right to go to school, but the right to have it paid for?

Understand that I have not said that they should not be able to attend college, just not receive financial aid.

Understand that we already have a law that allows illegal immigrants to go to college as California residents and even pay the resident rates. ($11 per unit at community colleges)

What is bing discussed specifically is financial aid. The state college system is already subsidized to provide the education it delivers.

I don't mind them going. I don't mind subsidizing the state colleges while they go. (in state tuition rate) However they can chip in the $165 for 15 units.

Nick
  • Reply 14 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Regardless of the timeframe an illegal shouldn't have more rights than someone who is a citizen!

That's why they don't.

Your constant fabrication is really annoying, especially now that it is moving into a title of one of your gazillion threads.
  • Reply 15 of 100
    But Giant wouldn't this Bill be akin to me a Washingtonian moving to California and "immediately" gaining Financial Aide while I "wait" for my California Residency?

That would give me an advantage that others don't have.
  • Reply 16 of 100
    Quote:

Better get that app in early then right

Far too many concessions are being made for seemingly altruistic reasons. Yes it's good to have educated individuals but Processes must be followed and subjugating them by discrimination is not good. As Trumptman says. Why should they get benefits before reaching Legal status? The answer is they shouldn't.

Well, I live in the US, too, and a california economy filled with unskilled workers due to certain people thinking they live in a vacuum affects me, too.

If you have a problem with immigration, that is understandable. But until you solve the problem you have to deal with situation you are in, and restricting young people from becoming successful members of society is going to do nothing to solve the problem.
  • Reply 17 of 100
    Quote:

But Giant wouldn't this Bill be akin to me a Washingtonian moving to California and "immediately" gaining Financial Aide while I "wait" for my California Residency?

No.
  • Reply 18 of 100
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman:

Provacative title, I know but hey it got you in here.

Which is unfortunate since had you actually bothered to read and understand the article you wouldn't have tricked us into wasting a few minutes of our time.

Some posters on here need to attend some reading comprehension classes. Some are even employed by the California public school system. The irony.

By the way,thank you Giant.
  • Reply 19 of 100
    I have to agree with Trumptman here. While I understand the proposition being proposed and I'm glad that the applicant must also have applied for legal residency, I still think financial aid should be reserved for those who are legal citizens of the United States. Once you're officially legal, go for it! But, prove you want to be an American first. Then you get the benefits.

It infuriates me that I, a US born, tax paying citizen of California, is ineligible for financial aid because I apparently earn too much money. My wife and I can't afford to buy a house, but we're apparently too rich to get financial aid for education? What a crock. When is someone in Congress going to get a clue that earning $40K a year doesn't make you upper-class? The realities between financial class distinction and the actual numbers themselves DO NOT add up.

And now Julio the Gardener's kids get a free ride, paid for with my tax dollars. I'm sorry, I'm a compassionate liberal who believes in legal immigration reform, but this is crossing the line.

See, I'm a white yuppie asshole who lives in Orange County, what do I have to complain about, right?
  • Reply 20 of 100
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Why should they get benefits before reaching Legal status? The answer is they shouldn't.

I know what you mean, but you're wrong. Why shouldn't they? The applications have been filed with immigration, a background check has taken place and fees have been paid. Once the applications have been filed you can get a permit to work and pay taxes. Technically your status is legal.

Making them wait for years before they have access to an education while legally being able to work and pay taxes would be ridiculous.