PowerBook 12": How's yours holding up?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So, my experience with the 12"s has been less than stellar . . . my first died the night I brought it home; the second has developed a weird white spot on the screen, and has a severely warped case after only three weeks of usage. And, I always use it on a Cool Pad. Tomorrow it goes off for repairs.

My question is: how's your 12" holding up? Do you have warping issues, screen problems, etc.?

When it gets back from Apple with the new screen and a new case, I'm debating whether I should put it on eBay and pick-up a new model as it has a few features that make it an dramatic improvement over the Rev A version. I want a 12" (as great as the 15" is, I need portability). And, like others I'm concerned that the new models will run even hotter, and suffer from more of the same.

I guess I need some reassurance that most 12"s last . . . my friend's has the same problems as mine (and I know, a sample of two (and any response) is not statistically significant . . . ). Thanks.

-Jennings

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I was one of the first to get the 12" PB. It originally had the screen warp that didn't allow for a tight fit when the lid was closed. I carefully bent it into shape as some suggested in a forum like this and that did the trick.

This is a great laptop. I travel quite a bit, take it to and from work every day, etc. Only have one small scratch on the back. (My previous icebook, which I also liked, was a scratch machine.)

I have had not one issue with this PB. It is solid and does everything I need it to do. The newer version doesn't make me yearn to upgrade although if i didn't have one I would jump right on it.

It does get warm when the processor is maxing out so I would be interested in seeing if rev B stays cooler. Most of my use is from a table or other surface so this really isn't an issue with me.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I was one of the first to get the 12" PB. It originally had the screen warp that didn't allow for a tight fit when the lid was closed. I carefully bent it into shape as some suggested in a forum like this and that did the trick.

Thanks for the reply. I am not going to begin bending the machine . . . my friend's 12" was adjusted (bent by an Apple Store genius) and the warping returned.

And Apple support seems to acknowledge the warping issues; the rep I spoke with this morning asked if I had warping with the screen, the bottom case, etc. I guess Apple is no longer denying the issue, and they agreed to replace the case with no prodding.

I'm glad to hear your 12" hasn't suffered from continual flaws: it a postive example. And, I should add that I want to upgrade because the DVI in such a small form-factor is worth the price of admission.

I got this 12" at an amazing price, and the current prices on eBay are more than I paid (long story on my price, a once in a lifetime deal not worth repeating) . . . so selling mine will mean I have to throw a small amount of cash to a new 12" and if I go with the 15" a bit more (cuz there's no way I will go without a Superdrive).
  • Reply 3 of 33
    On my 12", the slot-loading mechanism died after 4 discs. I promptly got it fixed... but the tech scratched my screen (GRRRRR!), the screen bezel had a very noticeable gap in it and the keyboard was very unlevel (right above the replaced slot-loader). Needless to say, a piss-poor repair job. So I sent it back to get a new screen (all under warranty of course). It came back with a new screen, but the keyboard was all screwed up. I then emailed some key people and got my Powerbook replaced with a new one. I have had no problems with this one at all.No warpage, no crazy heat problems, nothing. It does get warm, but what can you expect from a tiny aluminum box with parts crammed together? I bought an iBreeze and it runs very cool now.

All in all, the new updates don't make me want to buy a new 12". The speed bump is marginal, the higher L2 cache is nice, but trading a DVI port for a USB isn't really a great trade-off. I run a perfectly fine 17" LCD off of the VGA connection. I plan on keeping this machine for at least a couple of years. Its great, portable and plenty fast.

I must admit though: Those new 15" models are awesome looking. But not great enough to replace a 5 month old computer thats perfectly fine.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    I've had mine since november.

I use it every single day. I take it to school (computer sciences). I take it to the cabin. I'm rarely with out it.

there are no scratches. the keys are still clean and shiny, no warps dings or dents. this machine does everything I want it to, Most oft he time i'm hoping around photoshop, Illustrator, dreamweaver, flash and fireworks. as well as listening to iTunes, Chatting with Proteus, mail is open acrobat read is often running iCal is always open so is terminal and Safari.

yep I love this thing.

only two reason I wouldeven remotely considering up grading is the DVI out.

I would like to see back lit keys too.. But right now my life is good. Oh yeah and I span the monitor to a 17" studio From my old G4 Tower.

Yep this things is solid.

never been to the shop.

flick.

"12 PB

867 g4

640megs of ram

60 gig HD

Superdrive <with that x16 firmware>
  • Reply 5 of 33
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    No problems with mine.

One small scratch near the track pad and one rubber foot has fallen off - the one on the battery and I had planned on getting an extra battery anyway, so no big deal.

I take it everywhere. Absolutely everywhere.

My Saddlebag Pro holds everything I need: PB, iSight, digital camera, CDs/DVDs, various cables, cell phone, etc.

It's gotten to the point that it has pretty much replaced my G4 533DP as my primary machine.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    my wife's has held up really well, and she treats it like total crap.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

I've had mine since november.

I thought they came out in January...

Anyway, I've had mine since early February and I can honestly say that it's the best computer I've ever owned, bar none. It has had no display, warping, or disk drive problems (knock on wood) and continues to perform like the champ that it is. I love that little machine.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

I thought they came out in January...

Anyway, I've had mine since early February and I can honestly say that it's the best computer I've ever owned, bar none. It has had no display, warping, or disk drive problems (knock on wood) and continues to perform like the champ that it is. I love that little machine.

... you know your right! (time means nothing when your workaholic)

Is it possible I ordered it in november?

I know I was the second one to get one from our local Mac shop..

anyway.. still a long time

flick.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    I got mine in July, no major problems.

However, the bottom is not level so it wobbles unless I put something underneath one of the feet (is this because it's warped which I don't think it is or because of the bulge where the battery is because of the AirPort extreme card?).

Have two barely noticable stuck pixels.

Apart from those things (and occasional warm left hand, although it's gonna be great in the winter I expect) I love it. It easily made the transition as my primary machine and it's great when hooked up to an external monitor.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaske (cuz there's no way I will go with a Superdrive). [/B]

Why won't you get a Superdrive?
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Beakee

Why won't you get a Superdrive?

My mistake . . . I meant without (and I have subsequently edited the original post). Guess I should proofread before I post. I love being able to backup a DVD-Rs worth of files, and I do not want to go back to burning to CD-Rs. And I know backing up to a firewire hard drive is great, but I also want copies on removable media that I can store off site in case of fire etc. I mean, I'd hate to lose financial information, etc.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    I was curious because some complain of slower burn speeds for CD's and lack of compatability w/ other DVD formats. I am trying to decide for my new PB to get the SD or get the faster combo drive, then buy an external burner.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trebuchet

...but trading a DVI port for a USB isn't really a great trade-off.

Obviously the original VGA port has gone away, replaced by the mini-DVI port. (You can still get VGA using a dongle.) But you're saying a USB port went away too?

According to the spec list for the current PowerBooks, all of the current 12", 15" and 17" models have two USB ports (now USB 2.0). The specs and pictures of the older 12" aren't on Apple's site any more (at least where I know where to find them). Are you saying that the Rev. A 12" has three USB ports?

I'm not going to worry -- two USB ports is just fine with me. I think that's all my 15" TiBook has (I suppose I'd know right off the top of my head if the number of ports hadn't been enough for me on some occasion.)
  • Reply 14 of 33
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I don't know quite how to describe it but the aluminum lid has a huge gap between it and the screen on one side of the PowerBook. And also, there is a little case warping right where my slot loading CD ROM is. It's like the aluminum is not strong enough and is buckling from the pressure that is on it. But overall, this is a great laptop and by far the best I have had and I would never consider going back to an iBook or to a larger PowerBook.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    I've had my 12" PB since February. I got it as a 640/60/Combo/AE bundle with a nice rebate when it came out. I use it as my primary machine. My wife uses our iBook 600/384/15/DVD as her own primary machine Compared to the iBook, I find the PB a lot faster (possibly thanks to the extra RAM and the better graphics card).

No issue about the PB , except the four rubber feet have fallen off when it got really hot last summer. Apart from that, no wobble, no scratches, the hard drive (bottom left of the case) gets sometimes hot, but not unbearably (maybe the 40 GB drive is cooler than the 60 GB I have, I don't know).

I use it a lot on the go (take it from home to work and back every day, work with it on my 2 hour train ride twice a week, work at home). I like the new 15", but the 12" is perfectly sized for trays on French trains, so easy to carrry around, and has great battery life (3.5 hours working on MS Word/Excel whith the processor running full speed and the brightness set half way).
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

According to the spec list for the current PowerBooks, all of the current 12", 15" and 17" models have two USB ports (now USB 2.0).

Just like the old ones had 2 USB 1.1 ports

I shouldn't have said "old". My powerbook is looking at me in a funny way now...
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Get your feet replaced!!! I have a 12" pb that I got in February. I soon lost 3 of the 4 feet and found my case had a nasty wobble ( like a dog with one leg). I called Apple once, and they said the feet weren't covered by warranty, and that this was cosmetic damage blah blah blah. I talked to them again, later in the summer, and the policy has now changed to cover foot replacement! They emailed me a kit with about 6-8 feet (including the ones that go on the battery..theyre a bit different) and a tube of krazy glue. they stick back on no problem... and now seem to be stronger than the originals.

so... don't put up with a wobbly 'Book! I have found that the added height of having it up off the desk (even just the fraction of an inch) rather than flat on the surface has decreased the heat of the case during heavy use.

other than that, this 12" has been a dream.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Obviously the original VGA port has gone away, replaced by the mini-DVI port. (You can still get VGA using a dongle.) But you're saying a USB port went away too?

According to the spec list for the current PowerBooks, all of the current 12", 15" and 17" models have two USB ports (now USB 2.0). The specs and pictures of the older 12" aren't on Apple's site any more (at least where I know where to find them). Are you saying that the Rev. A 12" has three USB ports?

I'm not going to worry -- two USB ports is just fine with me. I think that's all my 15" TiBook has (I suppose I'd know right off the top of my head if the number of ports hadn't been enough for me on some occasion.)

I only see one USB port listed. The mini DVI port is wider than the mini VGA one.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by trebuchet

I only see one USB port listed. The mini DVI port is wider than the mini VGA one.

I think that's only an artifact of the way the diagram is drawn. After all, the real ports aren't as evenly spaced as those lines in diagram. Take it as "Here, roughly, is your access to USB" not "Here is your one USB port". Look at the QuickTime VR images where you can see the side of the new 12" PowerBook. It's a little hard to see because the details aren't that sharp, but I think it's still fairly clear that there are two USB ports there.

Besides, I doubt that the listed specs are in error. Sure, it's possible there's a mistake on the web page, but the page does make all other important 12" distinctions clear (like not having FireWire 800), so I think you can feel very certain we aren't getting 12" PowerBooks with only one USB port.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I've had my 12" since February: maxed the RAM before even booting it up, and it's been absolutely perfect. No issues with warpage of the screen or base, no dead/stuck pixels, no scatches, no nothing.

Yes, the rubber feet did make a bid for freedom, but I managed to keep the suckers in captivity and superglued them, so that's not an issue.

Yes, it can get hot, but that's only when I'm doing intensive stuff (like, an hour's concert in Ableton Live), but even then it hasn't missed a beat.

Great machine, and it gets admiring looks everywhere.