Pro Tools 6 Free... when?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Awhile back I heard that the OS X version of the audio production program from Digidesign, Protools was set to release with a "free" version that doesn't need the audio hardware to run. Such a version for OS 9 and even Window$ has been available for like 3 years already... When is the OS X PT6 Free releasing finally? That's the only reason why I'm not using it. I refuse to restart into OS 9 just for the sake of using Pro Tools. I wanna stay in OS X for as long as I can.

Anyone have any information about this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I don't have any info on this, but I've been considering writing to Digi and complaining about this. I'm a student, and I don't like having my only option be buying an M-Box (as much as I'd like one....). Maybe they're having trouble getting it to work with the built-in audio hardware under OS X because of the entirely new software architecture (Audio Units and all).

At least PT6 was first for OS X, and I don't even know if they've finally gotten around to Digi002 support for XP. But who cares anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Don't hold your breath. There is still no free version for XP either. I think it's something they just stopped doing.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Noleli2

I don't have any info on this, but I've been considering writing to Digi and complaining about this. I'm a student, and I don't like having my only option be buying an M-Box (as much as I'd like one....). Maybe they're having trouble getting it to work with the built-in audio hardware under OS X because of the entirely new software architecture (Audio Units and all).

At least PT6 was first for OS X, and I don't even know if they've finally gotten around to Digi002 support for XP. But who cares anyway.

How hard can it be to tell the program to find what ever sound card is in the comp? It should be able to use CoreAudio just fine.... they're losing customers like this I would think... not everyone can afford those huge purchases... (I'm referring to the audio hardware).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    resres Posts: 711member
    If I recall the free version of protools is usually based on the previous full version. Since the current version of protools is the first to work on OS X, it will probably be a while before we get protools free for OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

How hard can it be to tell the program to find what ever sound card is in the comp? It should be able to use CoreAudio just fine.... they're losing customers like this I would think... not everyone can afford those huge purchases... (I'm referring to the audio hardware).

Not to sound like a jerk, but I don't see how they are losing "customers" if they don't put out a FREE product. I have a digi001 by digidesign (and it sucks it won't work in my new dualie G5, but what can you do). But digidesign knows that a large section of customers won't upgrade to the osx version, and so they are putting their efforts there to get them to migrate and move up. And they are also trying to get new customers to buy their high end and mid ranged products. And the reason why they haven't gotten their software (except for the free version) to work with other audio cards and inputs, is because like apple, they make all their money on hardware sales. So to the other guy, yeah, I guess you COULD write Digi and complain and include that part about not wanting to have to buy an m-box and just wanting pro tools free to be developed faster. Well I am sure that will spur them on rather nicely. "Please hurry up with a free version of the software because I don't plan on ever BUYING anything from you." It just seems like you can't complain about something like that. Moving to OS X was a lot of work and a big change to get their stuff up to speed on OS X and they are still as we speak working the kinks out. So I think its good they are devoting their development efforts to products their customers have paid for first.