New Displays Maybe Note

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I noticed when I was ordering my two 23" LCD's and dual G5 if I picked one with the ADC-DVI adapter it would be 3-5 week wait on the that display. That is really strange that they would do that when I could order the ADC-DVI seprate with a 1-2 day ship time.

Is there some kind of bundle where they box them together, that would seem stupid. I bought two of those adapters for $59 each on the return table at an Apple Retailer. So no need to order from Apple Online Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    Now this is weird..

Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel) + Apple DVI to ADC Adapter B6703LL/A 1-2 bus.days Remove $2,098.00 $2,098.00

DVI to ADC Display Adapter M8661LL/B Early November Remove $99.00 $99.00

If you order just the DVI - ADC adapter it says November? But with a display it is only 1-2 days now.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    Weird.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [Nevermind. My post was impregnated by my morning grumpiness, so I deleted it.]
  • Reply 4 of 73
    It has looked recently like ADC is disappearing. But based on this, it looks like Apple may be bringing out revised displays with DVI instead of ADC fairly soon now.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

It has looked recently like ADC is disappearing. But based on this, it looks like Apple may be bringing out revised displays with DVI instead of ADC fairly soon now.

Yes now we have a good rumor!

ok so this is the "new powerbook rumor"

I heard ADC is a pain in the butt, is that true?

If it is... then WAHOO!!!

I hope they have an alumunuim(<-spelling?) finish!
  • Reply 6 of 73
    "Wireless" Based on your sig... I see no way you could be 'owning' at UT. See... the wireless mice are.... timid. They can't track nearly as accurately as others.... Just curious how your are 'really' doing.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

"Wireless" Based on your sig... I see no way you could be 'owning' at UT. See... the wireless mice are.... timid. They can't track nearly as accurately as others.... Just curious how your are 'really' doing.

I use a wireless mouse as well and at work I still own. SOme of the players at work were muuuuch better. One was a pro UT player. The wireless has freaked out a couple times but not really. I think it is all in the players skill level.

Back on topic...I think ADC is still a good concept. I like the fact that one cable leaves the monitor to your machine and it carries, power, USB, and the digital video signal.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    If they did change, there would be a shortage of display adapters...
  • Reply 9 of 73
    foad....

we over in this thread have a different opinion of the wireless suckers...
  • Reply 10 of 73
    Well there is a limit on the res ADC can handle maybe it is time for ADC2? The ADC Spec allows for a Firewire connection, and they need to add USB 2 into the displays. If there really is a 30" LCD on the way it would be a higher res than 1920x1200 so there is need for change.

On another note my two 23" lcd's were suppost to ship the same day I ordered which was sept 16th. They have now slipped twice to Sept 19th. I got an email about stock levels blah blah... the dat has changed.

I found this spec list on the net for the DVI standard, which ADC is based on. Dual Link supports a max res of (2048x1536 at 60 Hz, 1920x1080 at 85 Hz) and I don't think Apple wants a 60 hertz refresh for their displays.

http://www.ddwg.org/dvi.html

This might have to do with the shortage that or People or ordering alot of Displays to go with the new G5's
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Please, no ADC2! We have wasted enough time and money on proprietary connectors. Who ever really used the connector on the first PowerMacs? An adapter was the first and only related expense.

Besides we don't need a USB hub in the monitor. The original idea was to save cabling when the computer was under the desk - and to reduce the wiring clutter which always surrounded the Cube. But Apple has just introduced a wireless keyboard and mouse, so there's no need for USB in the monitor.

Someone probably figured ADC would make Apple users more likely to buy Apple monitors, too. That kind of effect can be positive or negative, though, and these days ADC is probably hurting monitor sales. Apple needs to integrate well in the corporate world, and using standard monitor connectors (DVI these days) is almost essential. Note that all of Apple's new computers (except iMac and eMac) have DVI.

In the long, long run, Apple will have to streamline their operations. Just as they eliminated printers, they will eliminate keyboards, mice and monitors from their line-up. Their prices have always left plenty of room for third-party vendors.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    For what it's worth...

I have a good friend who works at one of the Apple Stores and he says that "soon to be discontinued" stock is offered to Apple employees at a discounted price (I think that this is common knowledge). He just got a great deal on a cinema display.

Brian
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Quote:

Besides we don't need a USB hub in the monitor. The original idea was to save cabling when the computer was under the desk - and to reduce the wiring clutter which always surrounded the Cube. But Apple has just introduced a wireless keyboard and mouse, so there's no need for USB in the monitor.

Note that the wireless keyboard & mouse don't come with the machines as standard... You have to buy them separately.

I think having a USB hub in the monitor is a great idea. There are many times when I want to hook up a USB device to my machine, but don't want to have it constantly attached (flash card readers, USB zip drives, and scanners all fit into this category for me). An extra USB port in the monitor is very convenient.

You're also forgetting that ADC eliminates the need for a power cable. It's nice not having yet another cable going to an already crowded UPS or power strip.

I like ADC, I just thing Apple should design their monitors so you don't have to buy an expensive ADC->DVI converter. Why not just have a power outlet on the back of the display, and let the people who want to use DVI use a cheap ADC->DVI converter (no power in it) & a cheap power brick, or have it optionally bundled with the monitor? Seems like it could be made cheaper...
  • Reply 14 of 73
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't that 60hz is a problem on a DVI based display. The pixels on an LCD don't refresh like those of a CRT: once they're lit, they stay lit untill they're shut off, so even at 60hz you wouldn't see flicker. 60hz is also fast enough for motion (video sources) none of which that I can think supply a frame rate higher than 60i. So long as the pixel response is fast enough, 60hz should be OK.

There may be issues with 24fps material playing back below 72hz, but i dunno how or if the display characteristics of LCD's would impact that.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    I wonder if Apple would consider utilising a DVI connector on their next generation displays, and then offer them for sale to PC users? This may actually help them expand further into the PC market... first PC users discover the benefits of Apple displays, then they move to full Apple computer systems.

I'm sure it will never happen, but it was just a thought!
  • Reply 16 of 73
    Plenty of PC users already buy 20 and 23 inch Cinema displays because they are the only large format wide screen TFT's you can buy at a decent price (Samsung and Sony's Big widescreens are much much more, at least in the UK)

R
  • Reply 17 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

[Nevermind. My post was impregnated by my morning grumpiness, so I deleted it.]

I understand, my wife was impregnated by my morning grumpiness once.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    he he I just got my 20" at work and it's sitting on my desk and it's gorgeous. I really coulnd't give a crap about new displays after getting it

Now I'm just waiting for the g5 dualie to get here so I can acually use it
  • Reply 19 of 73
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I agree...I like wired mice a lot more for gaming.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Samsung just announced their new 24" LCD

http://macminute.com/2003/09/18/samsung

It has the thin bezel, DVI, swivel to portrait features that I want.

I wonder if the power supply is built-in?