Best chair under $300?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2015
I'm looking for a task/office/desk chair for sitting in for 8-13 hours a day. What do y'all think is the best chair under $300, (preferably a little closer to $200)?

BTW I am a good forum citizen and I found this thread, which asks the same question but with not very interesting answers, plus it's more than a year old. I demand cutting edge chair commentary!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Don't skimp on your chair. If you're going to be sitting for 8-13 hours a day like you say, get a chair that's ergonomically sound. Believe me, your back with thank you.

That said, I'd recommend a Herman Miller Aeron chair, or a Herman Miller Mirra. You can sometimes find a refurb Aeron for around 500-600. The Mirras are fairly new, so I'm not sure about price. I know they're positioned to be sub-Aeron in cost, yet have the same (or better, some would argue) ergonomics.

And they're both sexy as hell.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    How about a nice leather recliner with apples new wireless keyboard, mixed with a bluetooth headset,remote control and an airbo to fetch you your drinks.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Don't skimp on your chair. <snip> or a Herman Miller Mirra.

yeah, i just cruised around to office depot and office max, and i wasn't impressed with their chairs. i also went to a "relax the back" store, where everything was high priced... but nothing there blew me away either... it all seemd kind of home office comfy healthy oriented, not functional endurance. But they did have a 12 month same as cash loan... (combined with my apple 6 month same as cash loan i could have a scary and blissfull large amount of interest-free debt...)

I've heard very mixed things about the mesh in the aeron... i think i'm going to avoid it. The Mirra certainly does seem to be Next Generation. has anyone else tried the Mirra?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I'm interested to know what people don't like about the mesh on the Aeron chairs?

I have two at home and am lucky enough to have had them at my last two jobs.

Love the mesh.

The Mirra looks cool too though.

But yeah, bottom line, buy a nice chair. It's very well worth it.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Damn. How could I forget the Caper chair? The Multi-Task version is under 400 bucks (although you can spice it up with the mesh seat if you like for extra) and is quite comfy.

Home Office Solutions will even ship free and waive sales tax (you might look around a bit though).

It's nice, no?

(And before you ask...I'm not a HM employee, just a fan of their stuff)
  • Reply 6 of 14
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Be the envy of all your friends. Get a WEBER chair...

doubles up for all you BBQ needs at those Friday night piss-ups...

Just put the snags and shrimps in the Weber and they cook while you work....

Come knock off time..you'll have the makings of a great office party....

• Reply 7 of 14
    Four letters, one word, well, an acronym really...

I K E A

they are bestest in the world!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    IKEA is Swedish for "one part missing"
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

I K E A

I dunno, I love ikea, but their computer chairs suck.

Mirra <drool>

• Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Damn. How could I forget the Caper chair? The Multi-Task version is under 400 bucks (although you can spice it up with the mesh seat if you like for extra) and is quite comfy.

It doesn't seem to be very adjustable, which is very important if one is going to be spending many hours at the keyboard.

I actually ended up getting this chair for $80 from office depot... it has all the adjustments I need (seat height, seat angle including forward tilt, back angle, ratcheting back height) and pretty decent padding. it won't last as long as the HM and the contours and foam aren't as well engineered, but it will still be quite healthy for me I think, and I actually like that it doesn't have arms as I find that they often get in the way and do not interface well with my desk, but then again I've never had a chair with very adjustable arms.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

I K E A

I like ikea for some things, but as far as i can tell they don't even sell any adjustable chairs... am i not looking in the right place?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I can't find a picture of it but I was in a baby store earlier today and they had these two leather chairs ($199 each reduced) that were unbelievably comfortable. It was like sitting on a cloud they just seemed to float but not annoyingly so.
  • Reply 13 of 14

Below are some good options for chairs under 200

AmazonBasics High-Back Office Chair

High Back Executive PU Leather Ergonomic Office Desk Computer Chair O10

Boss Black LeatherPlus Executive Chair

If you want to explore more you can visit http://www.bestgamingchairreviews.com/best-ergonomic-chair-under-200/

The website has in depth articles about gaming and office chairs of all ranges.

• Reply 14 of 14

I recently got a one of these:

http://coi.uk.com/office/category/products/

I tested it out first of course. So much better than my previous Office Depot garbage. Sitting no longer hurts after a while. Yes it's pricey, but think about all the hours you send in from your PC? It pays for itself over time.

Obviously, their chairs are the high end, You can visit above and will find good chair there.

This discussion has been closed.