Can you recommend a two-button, scroll wheel mouse?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm shopping for one in the $40 range. I don't want a wireless one, and the logitechs are looking good. Any recommendations? Has anyone used the Macally dotmouse? $20, looks nice...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I'm shopping for one in the $40 range. I don't want a wireless one, and the logitechs are looking good. Any recommendations? Has anyone used the Macally dotmouse? $20, looks nice...

Depends on what your using it for, for gaming the logitecs are excellent they, well in my opinion have a more solid feel to them than the ms, kensington and other vendors. The logitec ifeel is an excellent low cost mouse but i use the logitec MX700 whch is the dogs bollox. I would strongly recommend spending the bit extra and going wireless, go on set your mouse free.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    The Logitechs are my favorite. Very reliable.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Logitechs are all good. If you want a regular two button + scroll, the plain optical wheel mouse or the MX300 is a good choice. That one also has a "quick switch" button behind the scroll wheel that Logitech configures to switch applications, but I think you can find a better use for it (Exposé, perhaps!). There's also a newer one, the MX310, that looks similar but also has a button on either side for forward and back in a web browser. If you can handle seven (!!!) buttons plus a scroll wheel, there's the MX500. I have one of those and I've fine tuned all the buttons to make it easy to use. It's actually really nice although lots of people would ridicule the presence of so many buttons. The MX700 is a cordless version of this one, and the MX900 is a bluetooth version (but I don't know if it works with Macs).

I haven't used a MacAlly mouse for about a year. I used to use an old ADB mouse with my Wallstreet. That thing was really good, held up longer than any other ADB mice I used (Apple teardrop mouse, Kensington MouseInABox). The Dot Mouse looks like a fine choice.

I've never really liked Kensington mice. I find their software to be quirky and I always have to adjust my custom tracking speed. I dislike the Studio Mouse's "touch" pad (more like "mash your finger here until it hurts" pad).

It took me so long to find just the mouse I wanted! Since I got my first USB-equipped computer (a PowerMac G4 about a year ago), I've gone through an Apple Pro Mouse (only one button), Logitech Wheel Mouse (pretty good), Kensington Studio Mouse (hate that scroll pad!), Logitech MX700 (don't like wireless), Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (uncomfortable), Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (felt cheap), and finally this Logitech MX500 (just right!). So I know a lot about mice.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Another vote for logitech. I have the mx310, best mouse I have ever used. You can find it for $30.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I have a Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical. Very nice mouse (on both Macs and PCs.)
  • Reply 6 of 24
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Love my little PocketMouse Pro.

Optical and I love the retractable cord.

Works great with my 12"PB.

• Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

I agree with others about Logitech...I have the Cordless Optical Mouse and it is the best I have ever used...here is website for more info:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1

I think you might enjoy not having cords and the response is the same...I also own Logitech corded Optical Mouse.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Danger

Yeah, I have a logitech, it's been moved around and used heavily for 4 years, and it's sill in top notch shape.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    What can you tell me about the Travler Mouse. It seems like it would match my PowerBook well but look kinda uncomfortable and would imagine the buttons are a little stiffer. Has anyone had any experience with it?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Go with Logitech's optical mouse. They're great!
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Logitech. I've used a lot of mice and trackballs and the best are always the logitechs. I've got 2 different ones right now: the mx700 and the optical mouse (2 buttons + scroll wheel). If you want more functionality, go with the mx500. A boatload of buttons and it's nice to have all that. I've got one of the buttons set for "all windows" and another set for "application windows" for expose settings and it's nice. Expose's rockin' the house and an mx500/700/900 will allow you to take advantage of it.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    You should reconsider ruling out cordless. Eliminating that omnipresent drag from the cord will improve your productivity. I recommend a Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse. Its $40. Just two-buttons and scroll wheel. Nothing exotic. Works great with OS X.

Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse
  • Reply 13 of 24
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't know, I used to have an MX700 and I didn't like it that much. The mouse itself was awesome, and it led me to replace it with an MX500, but I didn't like having a large base station and two extra cords cluttering my desk. Yeah, there weren't any cords coming from the mouse itself, but it still added to the clutter. Perhaps I'll reconsider getting a wireless mouse now that I have a desktop that I won't be moving around more than once every couple months. Wired mice definitely travel better than wireless ones (with the exception of bluetooth ones).
  • Reply 14 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by heaven or las vegas

You should reconsider ruling out cordless. Eliminating that omnipresent drag from the cord will improve your productivity. I recommend a Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse. Its $40. Just two-buttons and scroll wheel. Nothing exotic. Works great with OS X.

Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse

Your kidding, right? "Omnipresent drag"!? That is the funniest thing I've heard all day. And all the wireless mice I've tried feel laggy.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    fyi the Dual Optical I bought from Logitech gave me continous Pernel Kanics....

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1

I'm using a MS optical mouse and vry happy with it so far.

Do the Logitch drivers allow you to customize the keys from app to app? Thats a really cool feature for MS mice and is great for gaming for example
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Do the Logitch drivers allow you to customize the keys from app to app? Thats a really cool feature for MS mice and is great for gaming for example

No, unfortunately they don't. It's really my one complaint about the mouse. I suppose I could buy USB overdrive, but then I'd lose the functionality of my keyboard. (I've got the Mx duo - got it, keyboard and mouse, for $59.99 from Sam's when I noticed they hadn't updated their prices!):/
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

fyi the Dual Optical I bought from Logitech gave me continous Pernel Kanics....

Whichever mouse you decide on be sure to check out USB Overdrive 8)
  • Reply 18 of 24
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dale Sorel

Whichever mouse you decide on be sure to check out USB Overdrive 8)

funny thing is that its not driver related. I thought it was too.

when I migrated from 10.1.5 to 10.2 i actually forgot to install the new Logitech drivers and plugged the mouse in directly. Used it for about a half hour since the first install, and WHAMMO, KP.

At that point, there was no doubt whatsoever that seeing the only thing plugged in to my iBook was the power and my mouse, it had to be the mouse itself. No other drivers or third party apps had even been installed yet.

and, as a matter of fact, I basically never had another KP since I stopped using it. Shame, was a great mouse!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Danger

Ditto.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    I have been using a Logitech cordless mouseman optical for over two years. Logitech makes some excellent mice. I highly reccommend them.