Wireless Mouse Consumption

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone as tired of the mouse "cable management" as I am? With the new 17" PowerBook, I think of going wireless but I wonder how that would affect the batery life. Also, a scroll wheel and a second button is a good advantage to me, so - do you have any experience with bluetooth mice other than crystal clear?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jerry.N

Anyone as tired of the mouse "cable management" as I am? With the new 17" PowerBook, I think of going wireless but I wonder how that would affect the batery life. Also, a scroll wheel and a second button is a good advantage to me, so - do you have any experience with bluetooth mice other than crystal clear?

To be honest, from personal experience with several bluetooth capable mices, I do not think it is a good time to buy bluetooth mice. I do not think that the technology is well developed to use for certain apps (i.e. gaming). Sometimes when I use certain mice, you would get a jerky-like affect or delay in the movement. This, I heard is caused by interference, perhaps from portable phones or even a lcd or crt monitor.

In addition, the amount of batteries that you will consume--I'm talking about the tripple AAA batteries--will be about 1-1.25 months. The logitech is not out yet.

The two other alternative bluetooth devices I'm familiar with are:Logitech M900 or Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse Explorer

The microsoft bluetooth mouse is a really nice mouse. You will pay a premium for it, but you get an additional bluetooth hub in the package and 3 programmable buttons. I have not tried it with any Mac, however when I get the powerbook, I will post my findings here. My only annoyances are with the scroll wheel. I just hate the annoying sound it makes when you scroll. With logitech mices, it is not present. Aesthetically, the mouse is a work of art, but will not really match the powerbooks silver aluminum color.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by feliperal

My only annoyances are with the scroll wheel. I just hate the annoying sound it makes when you scroll.[/B]

Exactly. I hoped that with the new "tilt" scroll wheel the sound would become extinct. Well, they seem to enjoy it, not to mention that the wheel looks like a worm to me - at least through the plastic cover in the store.

But what would be a real problem is the games. I'm already bad enough to get fragged more often than I like. My PB is scheduled on 23rd - so if yours is to arrive at a similar time, I'm curious to know how it works.