G5 or New Powerbook - Which way to go

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With the new Powerbooks out I am having a difficult time deciding if I should go for the PB 17inch or G5 2GHz Dualie.

Given the price is the same, it is only harder.

I would not need the PB for traveling, though the ability to be in the house anywhere to do work or play is nice.

On the other hand the G5 is the new and ongoing platform for Apple and once software is compiled for the G5 things will only get better.

Any Advice? Thank-you in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    They're not the same price: the 17" PowerBook includes a screen, the Dual G5 2.0 requires you to buy a Cinema Display.

The PB is an all in one solution. The G5 is a workstation with over three times the power.

The G5 is expandable and can take a monster amount of memory. The PB is sleek and unobtrusive.

Either will run Word just fine.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

They're not the same price: the 17" PowerBook includes a screen, the Dual G5 2.0 requires you to buy a Cinema Display.

The PB is an all in one solution. The G5 is a workstation with over three times the power.

The G5 is expandable and can take a monster amount of memory. The PB is sleek and unobtrusive.

Either will run Word just fine.

__________________________________________________ _

Agreed either will run Word great! But I would like to use it with Final Cut Express and Photoshop.

I already have a 20" (CRT) monitor, I can hold off on the Cinema Display.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion, and since there is already a thread there along these same lines, I'll stick the link in here.

Power Mac or PowerBook.

Not exactly the hardware you are mentioning, but a good Power Mac vs. PowerBook discussion. I think keeping it to one thread is bettter.