mass mailer since downloading from microsoft

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am in the process of rebuild a couple of wintel machines (for other people i might add). I thought i'd get the latest service packs and security fixes. Since downloading these from the microsoft sight i have been receiving 10+ junk emails, most with attachments, a day. I didn't submit an email address so it must have been harvested somehow.

Obviously its not harming my pb i've just set some rules to get rid of them as they are downloaded. But i am concerned none the less. I know that there are a number of mailer viruses doing the rounds but this didn't start happening until i went to the microsoft site. Anybody else having similar experiences?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    You are just being paranoid. The events are unrelated.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Coincidence.

There's another Windows-only virus going around the internet theis weekend wherein the spoofed sender is Microsoft. The Microsoft Corporation is NOT sending you those files....it's from somebody's PC that has you in their addressbook. If YOU open those emails and allow the .exe files to run on any of those spiffy new PC's then you'll have preloaded the virus into those machines for your customers.

But then, if you're building PC's for people you probably already knew that.....
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by gardnerj

I am in the process of rebuild a couple of wintel machines (for other people i might add). I thought i'd get the latest service packs and security fixes. Since downloading these from the microsoft sight i have been receiving 10+ junk emails, most with attachments, a day. I didn't submit an email address so it must have been harvested somehow.

Obviously its not harming my pb i've just set some rules to get rid of them as they are downloaded. But i am concerned none the less. I know that there are a number of mailer viruses doing the rounds but this didn't start happening until i went to the microsoft site. Anybody else having similar experiences?

To get rid of A Virus(R):

Option a. Get Norton AntiVirus or VirusScan (from Mcaffe or something.) Downoad the virus definitions. Use it to get rid of the virus. It may be able to fix your files, or you may have to let it delete one or two of them.

Option b. Reformat HD, then immdiately restart (to purge the virus from memory, if it's there.) It may be wiser to restart by a sudden reset - I don't know.

Edit: Fixed smiley problem.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty sure there is no damage done to my machine and both of the machines i have been building have virus checkers and are clean as a whistle.

I'll put it down to coincidence then, unless there are any volunteers to try downloading a few files from the microsoft support site...