Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 and the iSight

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I had my mind set on purchasing an iSight. However, before doing so, I decided to do a little research on web cams. The only web cam that caught my eye from an "aesthetically pleasing to look at" viewpoint was the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. Yes, I realize the QuickCam Pro 4000 is USB, however, with software such as iChatUSBCam it really should not matter. I have the following questions first: how does the QuickCam Pro 4000 compare to the iSight in picture quality? Do you need more lighting for the QuickCam Pro 4000 as compared to the iSight? Does the USB of the QuickCam Pro 4000 really matter? In other words, even though the QuickCam Pro 4000 is USB will it deliver flicker free images? If there is anything else that I need to know, please feel free to inform me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I've got the QuickCam 4000. I really like it. I've never had any problems with it except that when I first bought it there were no OSX drivers. Now there are and everything is good. I'm sorry, but I don't use iChat so I don't know if it works with it or not.

The picture quailty is great, even in low light conditions. I'm on broadband, and the frame rate is acceptible. I usually only chat with my partents who are on dialup, so that may be the problem... ?? My parents seem to think the quality is good, but they are not really techno-freaks...

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Fulmer, I appreciate your reply, however, I think I am going to stick with the iSight. From my readings I see that he iSight has auto focus. With the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000, you have to focus it manually. And from the reviews, it sounds like you need two hands to focus it. I only have the use of one hand, therefore, I think focusing the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 would be a major pain. Also, Logitech still thumbs their nose at Mac OS X users (it took them one year after they introduced the QuickCam Pro 4000 to come out with a Mac OS X driver). Who knows how long it will take Logitech to come out with a new driver now that Panther is around the corner.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    To tell ya the truth, I've never had to focus my Quickcam, not that others might need to...

I do see you point on the driver, it really ticked me off when I brought it home and found out I needed Classic to make it work. I learned my lesson to do some better investigating before I do a purchase! As a new switcher, I didn't really know what to look for... Now that it is working in X, I'm a happy camper.