G5 Powerbook not until end of next year - Steve Jobs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
For those who have not seen it this is latest news post on www.macminute.com

Jobs on PowerBook G5, consolidation of PC industry

September 21 - 14:41 EDT__ An article on the Spanish Web site 5Dias and an interview in the German publication F.A.Z. offer a few interesting tidbits from Apple CEO Steve Jobs. According to 5Dias, Jobs reportedly said last week that Apple is currently working on a PowerBook G5 and hopes to introduce it "by the end of next year." In the interview with F.A.Z., Jobs said he expects that the computer industry will continue to consolidate, while others will disappear completely from the market. In particular, he said (according to the BableFish translator) "the future position of gateway is very uncertain" and he imagines Sony to withdraw itself completely from the PC business.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    Looks like the G5 will remain in the province of the Towers for the foreseeable future.

Good. As I intend Rev B. So it looks likely any future G5 announcement will likely concern the towers.

Hopefully a dual 2.5 Gig 2004 Macworld San Fran' announcement?

Burst the bubble of those expecting the G5 Powerbook sooner, such as myself. I thought mid 2004.

If Jobs says late next year. That's it.

This is a marked departure from previous secrecy. Apple want you to buy the G4 Powerbooks NOW in the knowledge you're not going to get hammered by a San Fran announcement.

I welcome the new found openess.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 2 of 53
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I
  • Reply 3 of 53
    TOLD
  • Reply 4 of 53
    YOU
  • Reply 5 of 53
    SO !!!
  • Reply 6 of 53
    To inject a bit hope though, let me add, that with .13u G4's, there's little reason to use a G3 besides differentiation. I think we may see G4 iBooks by sometime mid year, and they'll probably be very good (I won't say little ) machines
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Well I feel MUCH better knowing this since i just bought a 1.25 Ghz 15" AlBook. And to think...I was gonna "get by" with an iBook 800 for the next year...boy was I wrong. Here's to aluminum goodness...
  • Reply 8 of 53
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Looks like the G5 will remain in the province of the Towers for the foreseeable future.

Good. As I intend Rev B. So it looks likely any future G5 announcement will likely concern the towers.

Hopefully a dual 2.5 Gig 2004 Macworld San Fran' announcement?

Burst the bubble of those expecting the G5 Powerbook sooner, such as myself. I thought mid 2004.

If Jobs says late next year. That's it.

This is a marked departure from previous secrecy. Apple want you to buy the G4 Powerbooks NOW in the knowledge you're not going to get hammered by a San Fran announcement.

I welcome the new found openess.

Lemon Bon Bon

bah, politics...

he wants us to buy this rev. powerbooks instead of holding out another, say 7 or 8 months. and he's right. if i had the money to burn i would buy the 15" in a instance. but i have also to upgrade my software and that ads around 1500 euro's before tax extra to my expense.

i also have to buy new shoes
  • Reply 9 of 53
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    KInd of surprised Jobs said anything at all.

Whats with Apple talking lately?

The G5 PB could still be announced next summer.

WITH A SHIP DATE OF DECEMBER.

• Reply 10 of 53
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    My guess is that he is being conservative.

If the Powerbook G5s launch mid-year, it'll just be another dramatic keynote for Jobs. So long as IBM doesn't drop the ball with the production of low power G5s, I see no reason for them to be delayed past Summer 2004.

In the meantime, Apple can do a refresh of the Powerbook G4s in early 2004 (minor speed bumps perhaps). When they do so, it'll probably be done fairly quietly, with faster G5 Towers taking the spotlight.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I

That boosts your post count! You should have 1 post instead.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Did anyone expect a PowerBook G5 before late next year anyway?
  • Reply 13 of 53
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I just said - a couple of days ago in another thread in FH - that I'd be absolutely SHOCKED if G5 PowerBooks showed up any earlier than next summer. And part of me even thought THAT was being optimistic (next fall, if anything).

Just looking at previous stuff with Apple (G4 tower came out in August 1999...G4 PowerBook came out in January 2001).

I don't doubt for a second that Apple is hard at work and would like to throw all their pro eggs in the G5 basket, but I honestly see one more (and MAYBE two?) G4 PowerBook updates before any G5-based portable.

Hell, Apple just went over 10 and 8 months on updates to the PowerBooks, so we all know that's likely to happen again. If so, that puts updates to these three new aluminum PowerBooks at April-May 2004. From then, another 8-10 months takes us to the end of 2004, and perhaps a G5-based PowerBook by late autumn of 2004?

Then again, who the hell REALLY knows?

If I've learned anything in the past few years, it's that you can't truly predict what Apple is going to do...and when they're going to do it. You think you have them pegged, and they go and do something like introduce a flourescent green laptop. Or a 17" iMac 3 years after everyone was demanding one and calling it an eMac (did ANYONE here see that coming?)

We zig, they zag...
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Ay-é-gét!

Man, I wanted the G5 either to come out in four years, or in less than a year, because I am going to be getting a laptop when i go off to collegio next fall, gAH! the 15" g5 powerbok would be like sweet sweet dreams

• Reply 15 of 53
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    *IF* SJ did comment on it, that sounds about right. Apple has had a policy in the past though of not commenting on stuff like that. I take it with a grain of salt, but expect the timing to be about right.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Yessss! no more g5 powerbook threads until next year!

this was the year of the G5 all along.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Did anyone expect a PowerBook G5 before late next year anyway?

There were a bunch of morons on macrumors that kept saying 'a g5 at 1.2 GHz is not too hot, therefore there will be one at paris' despite several attempts to reason and plead with them that there would NOT be a g5 powerbook. UGH!
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by craner

and he imagines Sony to withdraw itself completely from the PC business.

thats a pretty strong statement, Steve must be mad at them

I sooo don't see this happening though.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Note how he only says the PowerBook'll not be updated to the G5 until end of next year. He says nothing about when the iBook will sport the G5.

I reckon we'll have G5 iBooks end of next week. Yeah.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

Note how he only says the PowerBook'll not be updated to the G5 until end of next year. He says nothing about when the iBook will sport the G5.

I reckon we'll have G5 iBooks end of next week. Yeah.

You never know, Apple may decide to come out with a newly named product when it comes time to bring G5 mobile.