advice about using Apple for Satellite broadcasting/multicasting

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all,

We are trying to do a project where we need to plug in a video camera to a computer, the computer has to process the video into an MPEG4 video stream (typically 512 to 750kb/s data rate), and then 'broadcast' this stream into a satellite hub, up to satellite and to client.

Now, what we typically do is use a Windows Media Encoder and encode into Windows Media 7 format and then shoot it off into the satellite hub.

I have a Mac here with Server 10.2 and have Quicktime Streamin Server and just doanloaded Broadcaster.

What should I do? Do I even need QTSS? Does anyone know the lag of encoding "on the fly" from DV to MPEG 4? Are there ANY other plaers on windows that can then view the resulting stream? (aside QuickTime for windows) Is there any codec WindowsMedia Player can use to view a QuickTime MPEG 4 stream?

Lots of questions... thanks for any feedback, especially on what to do between QTSS and Broadcaster.

PS: How the hell do I log into the QTSS? I'm the first person to use it and my admin login/pass dont work... doh

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I got this much from the help files

Quote:

You can use QuickTime Broadcaster without a streaming server to send your broadcast to a single QuickTime Player, or to multiple viewers using the multicast method of transmission. To send your broadcast over the Internet, or to more than one viewer over a local network that is not multicast-enabled, you will need a streaming server to reflect the stream to many viewers.

The streaming server replicates the single stream from QuickTime Broadcaster and allows multiple QuickTime Players to connect to the broadcast.

So I guess I dont need QTSS seeing that the Satellite will be doing the multicasting/broadcasting.

Now, need to see how to 'get' the stream (an IP address I guess) and see how 'bad' the lag is with MPEG 4 encoding on a G4 733MHz machine.

The Windows Media encoder sucks ass... about 8-12 second delay including the satellite hop lag.

If I can get this stuff together, and present an "iSight + PB 12inch" solution... mmmmmm
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Is there any codec WindowsMedia Player can use to view a QuickTime MPEG 4 stream?

No. MS Yanked the codec, you will have to *find* a copy somewhere online. On the windows side they don't like MPG4...

See...

http://home.eunet.no/~pereivin/codec.htm

http://codeczone.virtualave.net/fixes.htm

You can download some bootleg ones here .
  • Reply 3 of 6
    thanks for that... we can multicast files to people, so if we could get the MPEG4 codec to people so they can view ISO standard MPEG 4 in WiMP, that would make life easier, rather than have everyone download QT6 (which would be a good idea anyway, but still... too big, requires restart, etc).

Is there ANY NON MS MPEG4 solution for WiMP to reap QT MPEG 4?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    been using Broadcaster for a bit today, Im really happy with it so far.

does anyone know (if possible) to FIX the data rate? I tell it to not go over 700kb/s but I think its VBR so it goes from anywhere 300kb to 800kb.

also the preview stream got me worried for a while because it goes at 2-3 fps... but the actual resulting stream was smooth and taking only about 70-80% cpu (have G4 733MHz with 1.2GB ram).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I'm sorry that I can't help, but I've very interested in how this works out for you so you at least get a little bump.

Are you broadcasting on the web? If so, how is bandwidth usage? How would broadcaster be for audio only?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    havent tested broadcaster for audio only, but there are tons of people knocking on our doors to know if VoIP is a viable solution via satellite (it is btw). You can get a decent audio stream at approx 10-15kb/s depending on what codec you're using.

What we're doing is tryingto get Personal Broadcasting out of the door, micro broadcasting via satellite, costing a FRACTION of what a traditional satellite transmission costs.

Anyone can take any formatted stream and broadcast it. Of course, the consumer wants to have the best quality bandwidth can buy.

We are currently broadcasting some channels from 256-712 kb/s in Windows Media 7 format. The quality isnt that bad actually.

Now, what I'm trying to do is get mobile solutions together.

For example: Video Camera with DV out, a laptop, a 2-way satellite terminal, and 2-way dish. Set everything up and broadcast from anywhere for a fraction of the cost that satellite broadcasts cost today.

Now, the encoder we use in the office when showing off personal broadcasting has anywhere from 8-12 seconds lag (90% of this wasted time is due to the encoding). We encode, as said before, in WM7 format at around 712kb/s data rate.

I just went to see our "streaming guy" and he showed me Windows Media Encoders (separate encoders) that have 1/4 second lag... and cost almost 12000euros!!! Crazy.

I have NO idea how good DiVX or XViD encoding is (more processor hungry?) than WM7, but Im willing to bet that you could buy a latest generation 12inch iBook and an iSight for approx 1500euro (with extra ram, etc) and then use that as your camera and encoder.

Sure, iSight is only good for a fixed area broadcast, but a great alternative to an 800euro DV camera.

Essentially, the only downside is that the target market will all have Windows Media Player and MAY not have quicktime 6 or later installed.

In conclusion: I want to be able to offer our resellers and partners and potential end users the ability to use a low cost, elegant solution... that "just works". And who knows, get Apple into a new market of somekind.

If anyone knows who I can contact at Apple (maybe europe, or anywhere actually) to try and get some steam into this project... that would be excellent. send me a private message if need be...

Suggestions, Questions, Comments are welcome