If Apple wants HUGE Panther sales...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
They should to offer "pre-orders" at the Apple Store with a minor discount (5%-10% savings if you pre-order before "insert date here"). If I could save 5 or 10 percent on Panther just for pre-ordering, I would pre-order right now! Heck, I'd pre-order right now even if they just said something like "All current Mac-owners can save $10.30 off full retail price for OS 10.3 ... pre-order now!"

I know it sounds stupid to make a big deal over $10, but if I have to pay full price, I'll probably wait 2 or 3 months to see what problems people have and what updates are released.

I'm sure Panther will sell very well regardless, but I'm also sure even MORE people would jump on the Panther bandwagon before the end of the year if Apple "sweetened the deal" during the initial launch.

Am I crazy, or is that a good idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    An awsome idea. I keep hunting around online for an Amazon type 'preorder'. I want DATES, I want the feeling of knowing that I now own a copy of panther, even if I don't get it for a couple months.

I'm not alone... link
  • Reply 2 of 25
    It'd be nice for us and from a marketing standpoint, but I don't think Apple needs to run any promotions to get Panther to sell. So they won't. :/
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

It'd be nice for us and from a marketing standpoint, but I don't think Apple needs to run any promotions to get Panther to sell. So they won't. :/

Unfortunately, I doubt Apple will do that either. I still say it would be a good idea ... and they might see a big enough increase in 10.3 purchases (compared to 10.2 purchases last year) that they will more than make up the $10.30 discount offered to people who preorder during the one or two week window of opportunity that they offer a pre-order discount.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

I know it sounds stupid to make a big deal over $10, but if I have to pay full price, I'll probably wait 2 or 3 months to see what problems people have and what updates are released.

You're going to give up three months of increased productivity to save $10?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

You're going to give up three months of increased productivity to save $10?

My job doesn't require that I save every possible nanosecond of computing time.

I remember all the problems I had with the original OS X two years ago ... so much trouble that I switched back to OS9 for a while.

Unless Panther is MUCH faster than Jaguar, I can't see jumping on the Panther train just so I can struggle for 1-3 months until Apple releases all the updates I need for Panther to run stable on my old PowerBook.

Yes, I realize it sounds stupid to fuss over $10, but if Panther (like previous OS X releases) isn't going to be very stable until 10.3.2 or 10.3.5, why should I rush into Panther at full price? Apple should (in a manner of speaking) be paying me to adopt Panther early before they issue updates. Jaguar already has most of the bugs worked out. If apple offers a pre-order discount, they would be acknowledging the fact that early adopters have to put up with a few headaches ... and they have enough faith in their new OS that they want to make it worth your while to upgrade as early as possible.

Still, I don't "really" believe Apple will offer discounts to people who pre-order ... but it would be nice.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Sounds reasonable to me.

I hope 10.3.0 won't have any glaring bugs. I remember the days of 10.1.5; random kernel panics at startup, and other ones that were just random. Of course, 10.2 fixed that.

I don't remember if 10.2.0 was buggy or not, so I can't say anything about how buggy I would thing 10.3.0 is going to be. I'm just hoping for the best.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

Sounds reasonable to me.

I hope 10.3.0 won't have any glaring bugs. I remember the days of 10.1.5; random kernel panics at startup, and other ones that were just random. Of course, 10.2 fixed that.

I don't remember if 10.2.0 was buggy or not, so I can't say anything about how buggy I would thing 10.3.0 is going to be. I'm just hoping for the best.

10.2 was not NEARLY as buggy as 10.1 (that's part of the reason I upgraded to Jaguar) but the first few releases of Jaguar (prior to 10.2.4) created a few software and hardware problems for me ... certain PC cards not being recognized, programs shutting down when they shouldn't, etc. Those problems have since been corrected by the most recent versions of Jaguar and the most recent updates from 3rd-party software and hardware manufacturers.

No matter how good Panther is, I suspect I will have to endure a period of time during which some things just don't work right. A $10 discount won't relieve me of that kind of frustration, but it would make me firmly believe two things:

1) Apple realizes that it takes a while before all the bugs are worked out of new OS releases ... particulalry when the new OS offers so many improvements/changes. And Apple sympathizes with its customers who have to endure problems before Apple can release updates.

2) Apple is committed to its new OS and wants to make sure you know how much they believe in it and how much they want you to make the switch as soon as possible.

A $10 discount on all pre-orders during a one or two week period wouldn't hurt Apple's bottom line ... and would go a long way to making people take another look at upgrading to Panther before the end of the year.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    You said: "No matter how good Panther is, I suspect I will have to endure a period of time during which some things just don't work right. A $10 discount won't relieve me of that kind of frustration, but it would make me firmly believe two things:

1) Apple realizes that it takes a while before all the bugs are worked out of new OS releases ... particulalry when the new OS offers so many improvements/changes. And Apple sympathizes with its customers who have to endure problems before Apple can release updates."

-->

I say: You gotta be kidding, right? How is offering a 10$ pre-order discount showing that Apple realises that it takes a while before all the bugs are worked out? Oh, okay. You mean that if they give it 'cheaper' to you, they know it's not really _worth_ that much... Ah, crap.

I still think preorders for Panther would have been a nice idea. Too late now, with 24. of October being the release date. ;-)
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by fryke

...Too late now, with 24. of October being the release date. ;-)

We hope! m.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    If that's the case, then there's around 30 days left.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    I've been using 7B53 on a G3/350 and a G5/1.6G, no problems with EVERYTHING I've thrown at it.

photoshop

fcp 3/4(4 only on the G5 for obvious reasons)

UT2003, QuakeIII, UT.

!! AND EVEN !! right clicking.

-hhmm..I should probably check out 7b74, but I've already got a good thing now.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    marketing might want to steal packaging ideas from this thread

• Reply 13 of 25
    Given the outrage regarding late G5's and PB's I would assume that this would never happen. Delivery times seem to be very vague at the moment!
  • Reply 14 of 25
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    curiousuburb: That second box (the black panther) looks great! I sure wish that would be the official enclosure of what looks to be a grrreeeaaat OS-update. Keep up the good work mate!
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

curiousuburb: That second box (the black panther) looks great! I sure wish that would be the official enclosure of what looks to be a grrreeeaaat OS-update. Keep up the good work mate!

not my mockup, but definitely my favourite, too.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    I'd like the Pink Panther one!
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

I'd like the Pink Panther one!

Somehow, I think Owens Corning (the company that secured the rights to use the Pink Panther for their pink insulation) would bring a lawsuit against Apple.

Besides, I really like the second box with the black panther. That said, I suspect Apple will make the "X" on the box look like black fur or just skip the Panther tie-in completely and use a new glossy/aqua-looking metal logo similar to the new startup screen.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

Somehow, I think Owens Corning (the company that secured the rights to use the Pink Panther for their pink insulation) would bring a lawsuit against Apple.

Besides, I really like the second box with the black panther. That said, I suspect Apple will make the "X" on the box look like black fur or just skip the Panther tie-in completely and use a new glossy/aqua-looking metal logo similar to the new startup screen.

Owens Corning's has complete rights to the Pink Panther toon? I'd think DePatie-Freleng or MGM/UA would still control those rights.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Owens Corning's has complete rights to the Pink Panther toon? I'd think DePatie-Freleng or MGM/UA would still control those rights.

I'm not sure. I was really just making a joke regarding the new "Apple vs. Apple" lawsuit.

I can just see the media calling it "Panther vs. Panther."
  • Reply 20 of 25
    One word;

"Bengal"

That is all.