G5 owners please test VPC!!!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone who can do this I would greatly appreciate it.

I have an opportunity to get a dual use machine through my wife's firm and it must perform "well" in window emulation!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xhorxhi

Anyone who can do this I would greatly appreciate it.

I have an opportunity to get a dual use machine through my wife's firm and it must perform "well" in window emulation!

Both Apple and M$ have stated VPC won't work on a G5 (yet?).

Sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    SHIT
  • Reply 3 of 33
    SCORE: Microsoft 1, Apple 0.

(not counting the past million wins by Microsoft)
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Dont' worry, I'm fairly confident that VPC will be updated to work on G5's within the next few months. Call it a hunch.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xhorxhi

SHIT

A dual G4 will run VPC.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Power Apple

Dont' worry, I'm fairly confident that VPC will be updated to work on G5's within the next few months. Call it a hunch.

...but it'll be significantly slower on the G5 than it was on the G4.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    God, I hope not.. but I know you are probably right, Brad.

Damn MS for ruining a good thing!..

I guess I am going to have to be resolved to having a dual G4 around for site testing.. (at least its better than having a PC box!)
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by SCARECROW

God, I hope not.. but I know you are probably right, Brad.

Damn MS for ruining a good thing!..

MS has nothing to do with it. I'm not sure of the spesifics, but I believe the G5 is incapable of executing big- and little-endian code in the same manner as the G4. Thus, it has to convert, and it takes time. M$ actually did a pretty good job with VPC 6.1, IMO.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I've read that 6.1 was simply a re-branding and that nothing physical was changed.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

...but it'll be significantly slower on the G5 than it was on the G4.

Significantly slower? I bet the fact that the G5 is faster than the G4 will cancel out any loss of speed from the endian issue.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    IIRC, the G5 lacks l3 cache which is critical for VPC to run with any decent speed.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

IIRC, the G5 lacks l3 cache which is critical for VPC to run with any decent speed.

but the G5's bus is faster than the G4's l3 cache...?
  • Reply 13 of 33
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Hey all!

This may not be a satisfactory solution, but it's what I ended up doing (and my G4 will run VPC).

IMHO, VPC was simply too slow for me. I have to run MS Access now and again, and performance just wasn't there, even version 6.0 on a G4 1.25 with a ton of memory.

As such, I repurposed an old PC, connected it to my Ethernet LAN, and am connecting to it via VNC. It's quick, it doesn't eat up a ton of RAM on my Mac, and it doesn't eat up tons of processor power on the Mac either.

I know the solution isn't for everyone, but when you look at VPC selling for $200-300, something like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=51113

(An IBM Intellistation dual 500MHz P3 system, with four minutes left in the auction it was at $86.00 US. Similar prices should be available through your local Pennysaver, Buy & Sell or Bargain Finder)

starts looking pretty good. Just purchase an O/S, and you've got a MUCH faster solution for about the same price, if not a bit less. Set up filesharing on the PC, and you've also got the convenience of drag-and-drop file transfers between the Mac and the PC.

No, it won't be the optimal solution for everyone, but it works perfectly for me!

Just me $0.02,

-John
  • Reply 15 of 33
    ....no need to use VNC. Just use Microsofts free Remote Desktop Connection software. I use it to use and administer my PC at work.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

It's not the cache... that wouldn't be a make-or-break issue. If it mattered, cache would just a performance issue.

It's the G5's lack of a "pseudo little-endian mode". The current VPC code doesn't just benefit from PLEM, it requires it. Before VPC 4.0, VPC got along -- more slowly -- without using PLEM, so VPC can do without PLEM again.

Once it's rewritten to not require PLEM.

Blaming Microsoft is easy (not to mention fun), but in this case it's not Microsoft's fault. You might blame IBM for not being backward-compatible with the G4 (and G3) in this regard, but who knows what the trade-offs were in the chip's design? PLEM might have been easy in the old G4 design, but not in a chip derived from the Power4.

How much longer would you have been willing to wait for the G5 to get PLEM? How much more would you have been willing to pay?

If PLEM would have been easy to add to the G5, but it wasn't added anyway... that would be something to get steamed about.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by mooseman

....no need to use VNC. Just use Microsofts free Remote Desktop Connection software. I use it to use and administer my PC at work.

I tried to use the MS Remote Desktop Connection, but it wouldn't replicate the 16-bit or 32-bit desktop on the PC; it was limited to 8-bit (who knows, maybe I did something wrong?). VNC seems to work at least as fast as the MS software, and high-color desktops / applications are no problem.

-John
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

Hey all!

This may not be a satisfactory solution, but it's what I ended up doing (and my G4 will run VPC).

IMHO, VPC was simply too slow for me. I have to run MS Access now and again, and performance just wasn't there, even version 6.0 on a G4 1.25 with a ton of memory.

As such, I repurposed an old PC, connected it to my Ethernet LAN, and am connecting to it via VNC. It's quick, it doesn't eat up a ton of RAM on my Mac, and it doesn't eat up tons of processor power on the Mac either.

I know the solution isn't for everyone, but when you look at VPC selling for $200-300, something like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=51113

(An IBM Intellistation dual 500MHz P3 system, with four minutes left in the auction it was at $86.00 US. Similar prices should be available through your local Pennysaver, Buy & Sell or Bargain Finder)

starts looking pretty good. Just purchase an O/S, and you've got a MUCH faster solution for about the same price, if not a bit less. Set up filesharing on the PC, and you've also got the convenience of drag-and-drop file transfers between the Mac and the PC.

No, it won't be the optimal solution for everyone, but it works perfectly for me!

Just me $0.02,

-John

I do the exact same thine on my Mac. I swap back and forth, most of the time I run the Mac from the PC and sometimes, the PC from the Mac. I have larger screen on the PC, and the iMac screen is fixed at 1024x768.

Get OSXVnc for the Mac to control from the PC. Next VNCThing to control the PC from the Mac.

Unfortunetly, it looks like the developers of VNCThing have vanished. I was hoping that they would update it to alow for thumb wheel scrolling to the host system. Maybe the OSXVnc folks might pickup on this and make a Mac to PC client. They already have a good start!

-Scott

P.S.: I also have one of those USB keychain thingies and that I a great way to swap files. I can easily move file from home to work.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Does anyone know for sure if the really early versions(pre-PLEM) of VPC will run on a G5? Is there any reason they won't run in Classic?
  • Reply 20 of 33
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    We're positive. It's just some basic fact of the G5s architecture. There's no way to bypass gravity.

Speaking of little endians...