How Much RAM for OS X Speed?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all,

I'm just wondering how much RAM would be good to run OS X with ample memory. Obviously, the more the better, but what's reasonable?

I have an iMac G4 800 MHz with 256 MB RAM currently.

Do you recommend 512, 640, ...?

I know the question's vague, but I'm curious as to how much others would use... m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    512 minimum, more if you can spare the cash
  • Reply 2 of 9
    For everyday consumer-type usage (ie: Safari, MS Office, Mail, iCal, iMovie, iPhoto,iDVD, iTunes) 512 Minimum, 1GB nice.

For typical (files in the 10-200 MB size range) work with PhotoShop, other 2d apps (InDesign, XPress, Illustrator, etc) 1GB minimum, 2 GB nice.

For 3D work, Pro video, large 2D Files, As much as you can afford.

So, what sizes to buy? Buy the 512MB sticks until the 1Gbs get cheap.

If you're worried about money, start with a good 512 stick, then add on when/if you see you need more.

The short answer, as you stated, is "as much as you can afford."
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I'm running on 320MB and it's just fine (old iBook) ... but it made a huge difference in my old iMac when i had to remove some ram .... it really slowed down running at 192MB ....

256 will run things adequately ... 512 is better ... of course more would be even better if you like to keep more than one app runnning at the same time.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have 640 MB (128 + 512) but I'm seriously considering switching out the 128 for another 512, giving me a GB of RAM in my eMac.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    With a variety of computers, the ones with 1GB RAM do run better than those with less. So much so that we upgraded across the board. If you got the cash, do it!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

Hello all,

I'm just wondering how much RAM would be good to run OS X with ample memory. Obviously, the more the better, but what's reasonable?

I have an iMac G4 800 MHz with 256 MB RAM currently.

Do you recommend 512, 640, ...?

I know the question's vague, but I'm curious as to how much others would use... m.

I used to have a G3 266 with 192 -> turtle

I have an 800 iBook, with 128 the system was pretty slow, not very friendly, i have upgraded to 384 and all seems to flow in armony, I believe 640 would be better but for the money I spent ($ 69) its an outstanding result
  • Reply 7 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I get by fine on 256. On my power book I plan to max out the open slot one of these days. Maybe when I start doing digital video?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I've got 384mb in a 450mhz G4 cube. I run multiple programs all the time, for example; right now I have Safari, Mail, Address Book, Photoshop, and iTunes running. Speed is great. Stability is great. No problems. I run Final Cut Pro 3 and other apps at the same time with no problems. I'm on 10.2.8. I would like to get more ram someday, but right now I really don't think I need it. I'm extremely happy with the speed and stability of my Cube. I don't know why you would need a whole lot more than 512mb. If I can run FCP 3 and several other apps at the same time and have them still be speedy, you should have no problems at all with small amounts of ram.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I have 1GB of RAM and I`m looking to get an other GB, Like everyone else said, Get as much as you can.