10.2.8 gone wrong?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have received two independ reports on problems after upgrading to 10.2.8.

One trashed system after installing Stuffit 8 and 10.2.8 - not even single user would work.

One failure to reboot after installing 10.2.8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 154
    i experienced problems after installing 10.2.8

briefly:

G4 dual 450 gigabit Ethernet

1 gig ram

80 gig hd

Partitioned into 2 volumes, hfs+ format

Os x 10.2.6

Os 9.2.2 for classic mode

Running fine, no major apps installed yet on this machine.

Installed 10.2.8 upgrade via apple's software update, install went fine, no errors.

Upon restart: grey apple screen, never moves beyond that point. No startup counter, nothing.

Can still boot from cd or hd into 9.
  • Reply 2 of 154
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    FWIW, I just did a 12"PB and a G4/500...no problems.
  • Reply 3 of 154
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    G4 733MHz 10.2.6 Server --> 10.2.8 Server no probs

iBook 600Mhz 14inch 10.2.6 Client --> 10.2.8, no probs
  • Reply 4 of 154
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

G4 733MHz 10.2.6 Server --> 10.2.8 Server no probs

iBook 600Mhz 14inch 10.2.6 Client --> 10.2.8, no probs

iMac 333 10.2.6--->10.2.8 no problems

30 gig drive, 384megs of ram

Today is my iMac's last day of work as my powerbook will arrive tomorrow. Should i buy a cheap gold watch as a retirement gift?
  • Reply 5 of 154
    Dual 800 Quicksilver 10.2.6 --> 10.2.8 combo updater

No problems so far... everything seems ok. Repaired permisionss before update (it fixed a bunch of stuff) and after update (only fixed 1 thing). Here's hoping it cures my random freezes.
  • Reply 6 of 154
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    dual 1.25 g4 and a pismo powerbook 500 mhz g3. no problems on either. used both the software update system pref and the standalone combo updater (now available from apple.com). mind you, i had JUST done a clean nuke & pave of both systems earlier in the week, which may have helped matters.
  • Reply 7 of 154
    iMac 17", 1Ghz, 1Gig RAM + Bluetooth.

I think it came with 10.2.4 back in March, I have been to 10.2.6, and now to 10.2.8 without any problems.

Infact, the only real problem I have had is my bluetooth stopped workinging... but a quick PRAM/VRAM (or whatever is called) reset cleared all that up.

very happy with this iccle machine... all I need now is for someone on eBay to buy it so I can buy a 15" PB.

• Reply 8 of 154
    I have installed this on a Dual GHZ G4 with 22" Cinema Display.

1.5GB of RAM. Four external FW HD totalling over 400GB. Two internal Drives as well. Not a problem yet.
  • Reply 9 of 154
    I don't remember one update that didn't lead to something broken on someone's computer. This is no exception. Of course things will go wrong. The number of possible (hardware- & software-) configurations is, for all intents and purposes, infinite. However, this update, as other updates, should work fine for the biggest majority of Mac OS users (at least 99.99%). So: if you're paranoid: don't install, but if not, do.
  • Reply 10 of 154
    DP 450 10.2.8 install easy no problem

bob
  • Reply 11 of 154
    12inch PB... no problems!
  • Reply 12 of 154
    10.2.8 and Stuffit 8 on both G3/400 B&W and G4/450 Sawtooth - no problems at all with either.

But then, I repair my permissions and run DiskWarrior once a week.
  • Reply 13 of 154
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Ok here's my experience. Install went fine. First restart seem to take longer than usual. After that my Kensington wireless mouse refused to work. Upon shutting down and resetting my mouse and receiver, restarting twice it worked fine. Everything has been fine since. Seems to be a little ( and I do mean a little ) faster. Otherwise not much difference.

G4 450 tower, One gig of RAM, Radeon 8500.
  • Reply 14 of 154
    The install was fine, optimizing and restart took some time. After repairing permissions, which found really nothing, and other restart everything is perfect. Been working fine for me, iTunes and everything else is still there.
  • Reply 15 of 154
    It was just pulled
  • Reply 16 of 154
    Yikes! Well i've been using it all day on my dual 800 and its been peachy here. I haven't had my typical "random freeze" all day. (knock on wood). Flash MX on the other hand can continue to bite me, its a crashy bitch with big projects grrrrr.

Hope they release a 10.2.9 for all the users having issues. :/
  • Reply 17 of 154
    No problems so far 1 Gig iMac 17 inch with Superdrive. When an upgrade comes out should I re-install or keep this version?
  • Reply 18 of 154
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Probably fine to install the new one, but be sure to check into and follow whatever Apple suggests.
  • Reply 19 of 154
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    I just went to download .8 on my eMac, it's already on my iBook without issue, it's been pulled from the apple site. I guess it was serious enough to withdraw it.
  • Reply 20 of 154
    Apple claims that the update was pulled because there was a network issue with some G4s. Here's a statement from Apple that was published in a MacCentral artical:

"We have temporarily removed the Mac OS X v10.2.8 software update while we resolve an issue affecting Ethernet networking on small number of Power Mac G4 desktop systems. We anticipate that the issue will be resolved soon."

Everyone else complaining that their computer locked up during restarting after applying the updater needs to remove any haxies and try again with the stand alone updater, which has since been pulled. I have a copy if anyone wants it.