Laptop vs. Desktop Help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this board, and I was wondering if some of you could give me your opinions on my dilemma. I haven't yet switched to Mac, so at this point I don't know much about them other than what I've read online, plus I've messed around a little with an iMac in a computer lab at my school. What I need to know is your opinion on whether I should get an iMac or Powerbook. Here is my situation. I'm a grad student in college finishing up my last two semesters of coursework, soon to be entering the work force. If I was starting college, the choice would be a no-brainer because a laptop would help me so much in my schoolwork. I figure I'm close enough to the finish that this is a non-issue. So do those of you in the work force suggest a laptop or a desktop? I'm going to use the computer mostly for music and digital photography, as well as basic word processing and the like. I don't have a job lined up yet, so I'm not sure if I would need the portability of the laptop. I guess if I ever needed a laptop for work, I could get a cheap ibook later on down the road. This will be my only computer for a while, so I could really use some suggestions on which way to go. Oh, and if I can save some money going the desktop route I might be able to pick up more peripherals at the time of purchase. Sorry about this being so long, I just don't know what to do. Either way I'm excited about entering the world of Macs. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Ask yourself this: Do you think you need portability?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yozah

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this board, and I was wondering if some of you could give me your opinions on my dilemma. I haven't yet switched to Mac, so at this point I don't know much about them other than what I've read online, plus I've messed around a little with an iMac in a computer lab at my school. What I need to know is your opinion on whether I should get an iMac or Powerbook. Here is my situation. I'm a grad student in college finishing up my last two semesters of coursework, soon to be entering the work force. If I was starting college, the choice would be a no-brainer because a laptop would help me so much in my schoolwork. I figure I'm close enough to the finish that this is a non-issue. So do those of you in the work force suggest a laptop or a desktop? I'm going to use the computer mostly for music and digital photography, as well as basic word processing and the like. I don't have a job lined up yet, so I'm not sure if I would need the portability of the laptop. I guess if I ever needed a laptop for work, I could get a cheap ibook later on down the road. This will be my only computer for a while, so I could really use some suggestions on which way to go. Oh, and if I can save some money going the desktop route I might be able to pick up more peripherals at the time of purchase. Sorry about this being so long, I just don't know what to do. Either way I'm excited about entering the world of Macs. Thanks a lot.

Get the new 15" PowerBook. It's a treasure. And, you can take out the somewhat slow 4200 RPM Hard Disk -- the only component, in my opinion, that makes the AL Book slightly less desirable as a production machine -- and replace it with a 7200 RPM 60 GB notebook drive (www.newegg.com has them for $299 with free shipping). Then the PowerBook will become the fastest single G4 1.25 GHz computer you can get from apple today. Not bad, huh?