Mac model names - where do they come from?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I often see people refer to Macs by various names, including:
  • Pismo

• Lombard

• Wall Street

• MDD

• Quicksilver

• etc.

Are these official names, code names, or just something someone tagged on that stuck? Are there any more?

Thanks,

Dave.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Clamshell, Cheese Grater, Toilet book, I hear these all the time
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cyclops, wind tunnel, Speed holes and lampy are heard a lot too
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Don't forget the Lapzilla
  • Reply 4 of 11
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Pismo, Lombard, Wallstreet, and Quicksilver are codenames. MDD refers to the last generation of Power Mac G4s with the Mirrored Drive Doors. Most of the time, people will use these names to differentiate one Power Mac/PowerBook model from another.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    What was the iPod's codename?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

"Digital Jukebox"
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Cigarettes
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Pismo: Codename

Wallstreet, Kanga, etc.: Codename.

B&W G3: Nickname

PCI G4, AGP G4: Name

iMac/00, iMac/Early01, iMac/Late99, etc.: Nickname

iBook (FireWire), PB (Bronze Keyboard), etc.: Name

Cheetah, Puma, etc.: Codename

Jagwire: Delibartely mispronounnced codename (like SJ says it because of accent or something.)

MDD G4: Name

Quicksilver, etc. Codename.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Many are internal Apple code names. I think there are generally two official names Apple gives to a product - the "short" one and the longer "descriptive" one. So if you buy an iBook, it's called just that - an iBook. Apple always chooses one descriptive term to add on to the end of the model name. With the last revision of the PowerMac G4, they choose "Mirrored Drive Doors" so everyone started calling them MDD G4s. Sometimes they're based on when the machine is released (i.e. iBook Late 2001) or on a certain specification of the machine (i.e. iBook 16 VRAM).

The "Pismo" as it is often referred to is actually a "PowerBook G3 Series (Firewire)" or a "PowerBook G3 Series (Feb 2000)." Pismo is just an internal code name.

You could look at the original Titanium PowerBook. Official name was simply "PowerBook G4," while the internal code name was "Mercury" and the nickname is "TiBook." Later PowerBook G4s were also called PowerBook G4s by Apple, and people still called them TiBooks, but their internal code names changed - Onyx was the 550/667 MHz "Gigabit Ethernet" revision, while Ivory is the 667/800 MHz "DVI" version. But no one calls their PowerBook an "Onyx" or "Ivory."

Let's see...

All CRT iMacs are just called iMacs as far as I know, with the only distinction normally being whether it's a tray-load optical drive or a slot-loader.

LCD iMacs are generally called by their screen size. Just 15" iMac or 17" iMac. Additional qualifiers are added as needed.

eMacs are just eMacs.

iBooks are sometimes called "iceBooks," "Dual USB iBooks" (for the white versions), or "Clamshells" (for the colored ones).

All PowerBook G4s except the aluminum ones are just "TiBooks."

PowerMacs go in order - Yikes! (PCI graphics), Sawtooth (AGP graphics), Gigabit Ethernet, Digital audio, Quicksilver, Quicksilver 2002, Mirrored Drive Doors, and MDD 2003.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    MacKido's list of codenames

Apple Museum's codename pages

a comprehensive all-in-one list from Apple Linkage (Japan), including OS, input devices, moniters [sic]

best of all is the tale of the Powermac 7100, codenamed Sagan after clever Carl.

It seems Carl (or his lawyers) expressed displeasure over news the internal codename echoed his

and made enough fuss and/or threats that Apple folk decided to change the name to... B.H.A.

which represented Butt-Head Astronomer

some rumours suggest recent models named "Q37" or such, but these may be mule 'build' #s

i prefer the old days of speculative metaphor abstraction
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Thanls for the replies everyone . Very helpful and inofrmative.

Dave.