Panther: CDFS?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Will Panther FINALLY make OS X able to read the basically ubiquitus (yet un-Mac friendly) CDFS file system? I mean, if it will read NTFS, it's GOT to be able to read CDFS, right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Doesn't Mac OS X already support CDFS? Classic does.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Will Panther FINALLY make OS X able to read the basically ubiquitus (yet un-Mac friendly) CDFS file system? I mean, if it will read NTFS, it's GOT to be able to read CDFS, right?

Don't you mean the Joliet File System?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    The Mac does NOT support it. Burn a CD on a PC (XP). and try to mount it on a Mac (OS 9 or OS X) It won't even show up as a CD at all, or the Mac will tell you it's unrecognized. I have done major tests with this. Trust me, it doesnt work. I have tested G3s G4s G5s using various OS versions and usied a lot of vendors for optical devices including CD drives, Combo drives and even the newest SuperDrives. it doesn't work.

If you burn a Joliette or other ISO 9660 CD in Toast on a Mac, it shows up on a PC and a Mac as expected, but try to burn a CD on a PC using the OEM burner software in XP for example, and the CD will NOT mount on a Mac..
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I agree with you. This has been a major problem with OS X. It is things like this that give macs a bad name.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Of course part of it is that the Windows CD burning libraries are buggy... they don't properly close out sessions on burning ISO CDs, so they're non-standard-compliant.

The driver in MacOS X *is*, so it has problems with these broken CDs.

MS, in classic MS fashion, instead of fixing the burning libraries, added a workaround to their driver so that it can read them. To the uninitiated, it looks like the Mac is failing. It isn't. It just hasn't been hacked to handle a non-compliant screwup.

CDFS is another issue, but this one is also in there to watch out for.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

The Mac does NOT support it. Burn a CD on a PC (XP). and try to mount it on a Mac (OS 9 or OS X) It won't even show up as a CD at all, or the Mac will tell you it's unrecognized. I have done major tests with this. Trust me, it doesnt work. I have tested G3s G4s G5s using various OS versions and usied a lot of vendors for optical devices including CD drives, Combo drives and even the newest SuperDrives. it doesn't work.

If you burn a Joliette or other ISO 9660 CD in Toast on a Mac, it shows up on a PC and a Mac as expected, but try to burn a CD on a PC using the OEM burner software in XP for example, and the CD will NOT mount on a Mac..

You mean Joilet. Windows XP CDs are Joilet, not CDFS
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I use that Joliet CD extension that a guy wrote for OS 9. Still have to boot into OS 9 for it. I bet he'd be willing to share the code and have somebody write an extension for OS X that supports this.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    CDFS is just the name of the ISO 9660+Joliet driver. The funny thing is that the CDFS.sys driver has a habit of bluescreening even the most carefully set-up Windows boxes I've ever seen. Many people end up removing it altogether...