Airport alternatives

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am considering buying a new basestation, and want to get the best value. Can anyone recommend any better alternative to Apple's Airport basestation, or give reasons why Apple's is the best solution?

B or G is really pretty irrelevant, as my powerbook isn't AE compatible. However, if someone can recommend an inexpensive PC card for the Tibooks, I might be willing to consider going with G for the increased range and speed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

I am considering buying a new basestation, and want to get the best value. Can anyone recommend any better alternative to Apple's Airport basestation, or give reasons why Apple's is the best solution?

I recently bought a Netgear MR814v2

I paid a bit over 100 Euro, an airport base station would have been about twice as expensive.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

I recently bought a Netgear MR814v2

I paid a bit over 100 Euro, an airport base station would have been about twice as expensive.

I was looking at the one. Seems like a good value. Couple questions for you:

1)Do you know if it supports appletalk? Not that it is critical for me, but I know the MR314 supported appletalk.

2)How is the setup on a Mac? Is the admin done via a web interface or an application of some sort? I really like Linksys interface as it is web based, so platform agnostic. I noticed the description at a retailer says that Installation is simple - the Install Assistant guides you through each step and the Smart Setup Wizard automatically detects your ISP connection type. Wizards always sort of give me pause, as they imply windows only setup utils.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Seriously, the 'best' base station alternative is the cheapest one. Search google for 'cheap 802.11b wireless router', and you can find them for far less than 100 euros. Like 45, after rebates.

Search google.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

1)Do you know if it supports appletalk? Not that it is critical for me, but I know the MR314 supported appletalk.

I thought it supports Appletalk. I just checked the documentation but Appletalk wasn't mentioned in the list of supported protocols.
    Quote:

2)How is the setup on a Mac?

There's a webinterface with (IMHO) extensive documtentation next to each setting. The webinterface also had an "assistant" but I didn't find it very useful. I used the "manual" settings instead and didn't have any problems.

You can download a manual from the netgear support site
  • Reply 5 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

I thought it supports Appletalk. I just checked the documentation but Appletalk wasn't mentioned in the list of supported protocols. There's a webinterface with (IMHO) extensive documtentation next to each setting. The webinterface also had an "assistant" but I didn't find it very useful. I used the "manual" settings instead and didn't have any problems.

You can download a manual from the netgear support site

thanks