Quality control issues with new PowerBooks...particularly the 15"?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just taking a casual cruise through the AI, macnn, arstechnica and Macworld message boards...

Is it me or does there seem to be an inordinate amount of problems and issues with these new PowerBooks, particuarly the 15" model?

White spots on the display, lines on the display, dead pixels, squeaking, misbehaving latches, etc. (most complaints seem to be display-oriented).

Am I just reading more sites than I used to or does it seem that this new batch of 15" PowerBooks has some things that need to be ironed out?

I was just curious...

Also, the usual round of noise and "shit, it's HOT!" complaints, but those are more of a subjective thing and don't concern me as much as the stuff listed above.

Take a quick spin through the PowerBook forum at macnn.com, the Mac section at arstechnica.com and the Mac Portables forum at Macworld.com for examples.

Is this higher than usual OR, since I'm getting one, am I just noticing every little thing and all new products from Apple have these gremlins (for the record, I don't recall such talk about the iMac DV and the G4 iMacs...).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Just taking a casual cruise through the AI, macnn, arstechnica and Macworld message boards...

Is it me or does there seem to be an inordinate amount of problems and issues with these new PowerBooks, particuarly the 15" model?

White spots on the display, lines on the display, dead pixels, squeaking, misbehaving latches, etc. (most complaints seem to be display-oriented).

Am I just reading more sites than I used to or does it seem that this new batch of 15" PowerBooks has some things that need to be ironed out?

I was just curious...

Also, the usual round of noise and "shit, it's HOT!" complaints, but those are more of a subjective thing and don't concern me as much as the stuff listed above.

Take a quick spin through the PowerBook forum at macnn.com, the Mac section at arstechnica.com and the Mac Portables forum at Macworld.com for examples.

Is this higher than usual OR, since I'm getting one, am I just noticing every little thing and all new products from Apple have these gremlins (for the record, I don't recall such talk about the iMac DV and the G4 iMacs...).

I think you are noticing every little thing. That being said, I'll think of you tomorrow when my 15" display has one less dead pixel than will cause Apple to replace it, and white spots galore.
  • Reply 2 of 588
    i'm totally getting worried about my soon to arrive powerbook. i don't think it's just you. every mac forum i go to there are threads about the latch or dead pixels or that white thumbprint smudge or warped lids or the squeak. it's freaking me out! i've thought about the ole "only users with problems post on boards while many happy users don't" theory, and while this probably is true to a degree, there are MANY users posting with problems. the thing that worries me is that they only started shipping. so there are alot of people out there who are excited and psyched to be getting a 15"er (like me), but i just wonder how it'll be in a month when alot of people have them and the problems start growing.

i've actually thought about cancelling my order and see how it pans out in the coming weeks because dealing with the whole returning/repairing scenario is a huge pain for me, but i'm just gonna stick it out and hope i get a good one.

funny, a couple months ago i thought getting the powerbook was gonna be such a fun experience, but everyday i check out forums and it kinda stresses me out...don't even get me started on airborne express....anyways i do hope the problems are isolated and from now on the powerbooks are solid!
  • Reply 3 of 588
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Shut up Shut up Shut up, if I don't hear about it, it isn't true! I'm worried but am confident that Apple will provide me with a good PBook. If not I can always find the nearest bell tower near SJ's house (bit extreme?\)
  • Reply 4 of 588
    I was actually concerned as well, but there are bound to be a certain number of units that get through quality control and end up in the users hands with one problem or another.

For instance, I've only read a few places where there is a latch related problem. So a few out of tens of thousands shipped is not bad. Same goes for the white spot.

I'm not worried about the heat, through personal experience and most other reports, it seems to be much less than the Ti's...

I've also read many positive reports as well. Like anything, there are going to be some issues, and like all of you, I hope mine doesn't have anything major wrong with it.

I'm not going to cancel my order or lose major sleep over it, I'll keep a positive attitude and will only deal with issues if I have too.

From what I have read, those that are happy with the new book are VERY happy!

I'm looking forward to getting my new powerbook .
  • Reply 5 of 588
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, true. I'm not anywhere near "freaking out" or "losing sleep". But it just seems that - after taking as damn long as they did to make their debut - it's kinda an extra "ouch..." that there should be such talk of latches not closing, white spots on the display, etc.

I've read lots of good reports too, of course. But TONS of not-so-good.

But, as mentioned above, it's human nature to shout and carp about the negative. I'm quite certain there are thousands of happy, completely satisfied new PowerBook owners with perfect machines.

They're simply too busy digging them to post about them.

I sure hope I fall into that category...

I was going to do the mail-order/BTO thing from the Apple store. But now I think I'm going to go to Atlanta and buy it in person, open it right there in the store and make sure I don't have one of these goofy models before I drive the 2 hours back home and find out.
  • Reply 6 of 588
    Well, I am starting to get worried to. Say Steve has a big ego and wants not only to increase A) Apple market share but also B) demonstrate that when he says ?2003 is year of the notebook? he means ?50% will be notebook sales?. BTW, during his Paris keynote it seemed to me that he wasn?t happy with people using his earlier statement to label the G5 Powerbook as a ?sure thing?, while all Steve-o just wanted was to increase the relative Powerbook share in Apple hardware sales (don?t we feel stupid! ).

But how would they go about A) then? Increasing market share when you?re in an high-end user market, would probably be lowering your sales prices, right? But in which segment?

Fact is, that Apple?s low-end hardware (iBook for notebooks, and eMac and iMac for desktops) is already more expensive than comparable (if not better) offerings in the PC market! So probably a no-go for price-competition with Powerbooks and Power Macs. I guess we?ll see a (substantial) price cut with the next low-end model updates.

What I am worried about now, is that once Apple enters into price competition to increase their market share, it starts to change their profit margins. Obviously, there is the risk that Apple will cut back on quality (production costs) in order to maintain their profit margin, instead of waiting for a higher market share. This way it are the current Apple buyers that are financing this little endeavor instead of the company. And given brand loyalty with Apple users, Apple will probably get away with it.

However: lowering iMac and eMac prices makes it harder getting the 50% notebook sales ratio! So, problem for goal B! Not lowering iMac and eMac pricing? Lower iBook prices even more? Lowering also Powerbook prices to compensate? A combination of the above?

In any case, it seems lowering Powerbook prices has to be beneficial to the cause. And that?s exactly what we have seen when the new Powerbooks were introduced (plus even a price correction in Europe). But once again, lowering prices brings quality (costs) into the equation. And I must say, it is striking how much people already have to complain about the new 15?PB, while not that many are being used \. It all points to reducing production costs: cutting back on screen quality, not putting in the expensive L3 cache, putting in a cheaper battery, charging outrageous amounts for BTO upgrades, maintaining the 4200 HD, ? where can we save most and what will be less noticed? But in order to sweeten this sour pie, let?s put in the ATI9600! Who wants to bet that?s the graphics card the new eMac, iMac and iBook will get (top models that is)?

But? there?s a solution to all of this: Steve just has to give up goal B, that will make everyone but one happy. Good trade-off, not?!

I did not write this.
  • Reply 7 of 588
    Hey all!

I'll try and help you folks out, OK?

I picked up my 15" Superdrive PowerBook last Saturday, so it's got to be from an early batch, right?

So far, NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER!

This thing is awesome and solidly built. I can't hear the hard drive unless I put my ear to the keyboard. It feels much more solid than the TiBooks (had a Rev. A 500Ti). Every pixel works, and I have no "spots", "lines" or anything short of a big smile on my face.

I've tried regular networking (100Mb, not 1000Mb), and wireless networking both at home and at school. No problems whatsoever. I'm getting wireless signal in a concrete school building! That didn't happen with my Ti.

Don't have any bluetooth devices so I haven't tried that. Haven't tried video out either since I don't have any reason to at the moment.

I've spent only a few minutes with NeverWinter Nights and the graphics are delectable. I have setting @ 1280x854 and scrolling is smooooth. The semi-transparent smoke effects from the lanterns are realistic looking. I don't know framerates or anything like that, but it's pretty cool. It's also about the only thing that causes the fan to come on as well.

Speaking of the fan, it's quite silent. You'll be able to tell when it comes on, but it's a quiet whirring, as opposed to the blasting sounds that the Ti's have. The fan makes less noise than the optical drive when it's spinning.

In short, this computer is really cool!
  • Reply 8 of 588
    Quote:

[snip]

I was going to do the mail-order/BTO thing from the Apple store. But now I think I'm going to go to Atlanta and buy it in person, open it right there in the store and make sure I don't have one of these goofy models before I drive the 2 hours back home and find out.

pscates,

That's exactly what I did. I drove 1.5 hours so I could pick it up from the Chestnut Hill Apple Store. After completing the sale, I opened it up right at the genius bar.

The battery comes charged more than halfway, so I booted it up to the Welcome screen, looked around for any dead pixels (none) or anything else weird. Not seeing anything, I shut it down and left. I drove home really carefully (don't ask how I drove up there, let's just say I'm surprised the drive didn't cost me the price of a ticket or two).
  • Reply 9 of 588
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'm not sure what the Apple Stores' policy is regarding opening up a box to check that everything's working fine.

Most other Apple dealers here locally won't let you do that without some sort of re-stocking fee. Kind of a gamble and hassle with the dead pixels issue especially if it's through a mail order store.
  • Reply 10 of 588
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I'm not sure what the Apple Stores' policy is regarding opening up a box to check that everything's working fine.

Note that he did it after the sale. They can't tell you not to open the box when it's yours.
  • Reply 11 of 588
    Amorph is absolutely correct. I didn't open the box until after I had completed the purchase. I specifically mentioned that in my earlier post to eliminate confusion.

Basically, I didn't want to drive all the way home (1.5+ hours) to find out I had a DOA unit or some other kind of problem. The store still had two other units at the time so if I had a DOA, I had two more tries to get a working unit. The store will swap a DOA without a restocking fee, and I'd rather take care of that at the store then to get home and have to deal with Apple over the phone since that would've delayed my gratification for at least a week.
  • Reply 12 of 588
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, that's what I'll be doing. There's a slight chance that I'm getting my PowerBook tomorrow.

We'll see. It goes without saying that if I DO, you people will certainly hear about it.

• Reply 13 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

This thing is awesome and solidly built. I can't hear the hard drive unless I put my ear to the keyboard. It feels much more solid than the TiBooks (had a Rev. A 500Ti). Every pixel works, and I have no "spots", "lines" or anything short of a big smile on my face.

Likewise. I still prefer the looks of my Ti, but I have to admit, this machine is mechanically superior. It's quieter and cooler than my Ti, the fan has not yet come on (I got it three days ago), the optical drive is quieter and there are no cosmetic flaws that I can see.

My only complaint is that I had to borrow a gorilla from the zoo to get the screws out of the RAM access panel. Man, those things were torqued down like nobody's business!
  • Reply 14 of 588
    Quote:

I tell you what, if I could do that, I sure would have (Institutional PO purchase here). I'm a bit nervous, mostly because out of 5 portables from Apple, I've had not a single bad pixel or quality problem knocks wood. I just checked my Pismo's screen last night, and it looks brand-new in quality, pixels, etc.

Now I gotta go --- I just heard what kind of ethernet cable the VT cluster is using, and I want to start a new thread about it.
  • Reply 15 of 588
    Quote:

Yeah, that's what I'll be doing. There's a slight chance that I'm getting my PowerBook tomorrow.

We'll see. It goes without saying that if I DO, you people will certainly hear about it.

pscates,

Should that read "I called the Atlanta store and they said they were expecting a shipment tomorrow."?

You know you want it. What are you waiting for?
  • Reply 16 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Me too but it is a bit worrying nonetheless.

What if something nasty were to actually happen, would Apple just replace the book no questions asked ?

Anyone know the procedure ?

I posted a bit about this in another thread. Mine didn't turn on, which is perhaps atypical and warranted a bit more respect from the AppleCare folks. Of note, the latch didn't hold the lid closed reliably and the lid looked a bit warped (more of a gap on one side than the other when closed.) Since I never got it to turn on, I can't comment on the screen issues. I don't know how Apple would treat those complaints. I just really hope my replacement doesn't have any issues.
  • Reply 17 of 588
    Quote:

An excellent idea given my experience (I was a latch problem guy). Nothing like being able to go in and exchange it right then and there. The happy ending is that me new machine is, so far, perfect. Secure latch, nary a single dead pixel (yet), and making me very happy.
  • Reply 18 of 588
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    This will be my first post from my new 15"

My screen looks perfect, not white spots, or a single dead pixel as far as I can tell. I am having a latch problem though. I think the problem is that the spring that pulls the latch back in is too strong. So I did this a couple times...and plan on doing it every once and a while for the next couple days is grabbing the latch and stretching it farther then it would normall stretch. I hopefully can let it ease up and make it work so I don't have to send this back. I called AppleCare and they said I can use it for a while before I send it back to see if the problem goes away. So that is my plan and I hope it works out!

So far not a thing I dislike about this computer...well I have to get used to the keyboard but it's an amazing keyboard (very quiet) and although I havn't done any hardcore processing it is only SLIGHTLY warmer then room temperature, and this beast is silent. It takes silence to tell it's on. Ethernet, DVI, S-Video, USB all seem to be working fine, I tested them just by fooling around as soon as I got it.

Here is my battery life information...

I havn't recharged it yet and it is at 26%. I guess they start at 75% and I have been using it for 2 Hours and 20 Min. Besides playing with the keyboard and brightness for a few min, I've been running on bar 3 of brightness and keyboard brightness off. I installed Photoshop and Ghost Recon so far. I have a wireless mouse hooked up...not bluetooth so I have a base receiver for the mouse (not sure how much energy that takes up. I turned off bluetooth and airport maybe 10 min after I got it. So batter life looks good...especially if you get better battery life with Panther. I hope this posts helps anyone and if you want to ask me questions or offer advice then please feel free...I need it

Besides the latch which I hope will go away I couldn't be happier!
  • Reply 19 of 588
    well it's good to hear all these 15" success stories, gives me hope! *crosses fingers*
  • Reply 20 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

This will be my first post from my new 15"

Cool! Congrats. I can't wait for that first AI post/iTunes rip/DVD movie on my first Mac.

Which PB did you go for? Combo or SD? 4200RPM or 5400?