I did it! Whoo Hoo!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I took the plunge. I just ordered a 12" stock PB (w/combo drive)-$1999.00 Cdn and added a usb keyboard -$69 Cdn. Man am I ever excited! My first Mac. I got some good pricing since I'm a student (I saved $300). The order for the PB will take 1 to 2 weeks apparantly...I guess they're a little behind the ball in production? Anyways, I can wait...I think. LOL.

I really wasn't too sure about whether to get the 15" or 12". I liked the new 15" but a little pricey for me....Finally, a store close to me had the 12" albeit last years model and I took it for a test drive...played a movie on it etc.. For my needs (writing, playing the odd movie), it should do just fine. I'm planning next year to buy a G5 3Ghz for home anyways, so I didn't need the "superdrive" or a bigger monitor..the $$ I saved ($1300) can be used to buy a 20" LCD monitor next year....

All in all, I'm quite excited about it and would like to hear any other 12" new powerbook owners how they like their machine. Thanks for all the tips and advice...as a "switcher" I greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chikan

Well, I took the plunge. I just ordered a 12" stock PB (w/combo drive)-$1999.00 Cdn and added a usb keyboard -$69 Cdn. Man am I ever excited! My first Mac. I got some good pricing since I'm a student (I saved $300). The order for the PB will take 1 to 2 weeks apparantly...I guess they're a little behind the ball in production? Anyways, I can wait...I think. LOL.

I really wasn't too sure about whether to get the 15" or 12". I liked the new 15" but a little pricey for me....Finally, a store close to me had the 12" albeit last years model and I took it for a test drive...played a movie on it etc.. For my needs (writing, playing the odd movie), it should do just fine. I'm planning next year to buy a G5 3Ghz for home anyways, so I didn't need the "superdrive" or a bigger monitor..the $$ I saved ($1300) can be used to buy a 20" LCD monitor next year....

All in all, I'm quite excited about it and would like to hear any other 12" new powerbook owners how they like their machine. Thanks for all the tips and advice...as a "switcher" I greatly appreciate it.

Cool! One of my roomates has his PB 15 on the way. Hope you enjoy it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Picked up my 12" pbook 2 weeks ago (867mhz) and I like it very much. A buddy of mine at school has a Toshiba 15" centrino and he is very tempted to sell it and get one of these.

You should have bought an iPod because there is a $300cdn rebate if you buy it with a laptop.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I've had my 12" for about 4 weeks, and it's simply the best piece of computing hardware (PC or MAC!) that I've ever owned. Beautiful, durable, SMALL, infinitely portable, yet amazingly capable. With WIFI, Bluetooth, and a CD-R, I'm always able to share data, hop online, or join a network...

Monitor spanning makes work great (17" CRT on my desktop) because I can keep e-mail open on one monitor and all apps etc. on the other...

BTW, the 17" iMac I bought 3 months ago was my first Mac...Since then, I bought 2 iPods, the 12" Powerbook, and an old Pismo G3 Powerbook (ebay)...I also recruited 2 friends to buy Macs and iPods...Over $10,000 to my local Apple Store...

Why? It's like crack...You fall in love with your Mac, and Apple, and ITMS...etc.etc. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.

(I even got my boss to OK the Powerbook purchase as my sole laptop, thereby giving up my last PC (work)...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by chikan

Well, I took the plunge. I just ordered a 12" stock PB (w/combo drive)-$1999.00 Cdn and added a usb keyboard -$69 Cdn. Man am I ever excited! My first Mac. I got some good pricing since I'm a student (I saved $300).

Hooray for you! They're very sexy little machines - I'm sure it will be cool...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    im jealous. i handled one at a local dealer and it was awesome. I never thought another laptop would make my icebook look small! plus that g4 and qe going on... mmmmm... performance
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I don't know why but I'm considering upgrading to the 15" 1.25 Ghz model (with Combo and 60 Gd Hd)...it's "only" $800 more and I get sooooo much more. lol. I don't know if you can change your order once you place it.. Anyone know if you can? I'd still be happy with the 12" 'er if they said "no"..but the 15" looks "oh so sweet!" I'm hooked for sure!

Also, I wonder if I can get the 15" before the 12" since there seems to be a backlog........
  • Reply 7 of 7
    As long as it hasn't shipped you dhoulf be able to change your order. since the 15ers are shipping now you probably would get it sooner.

I have 12er i got a month ago and i couldn't be happier with it... it's my 14th Mac (since 1985) but this one really hits the sweet spot for me.

NeilyB