QuickTime and stuttering Matrix trailer

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The Matrix 2 Reloaded trailer stuttered a little. The 3rd one is terrible. Jerky, out of sync. I have 10.2.8 on a PowerBook 12" there is zero reason. I waited until it was downloaded, saved as source, and opened in QT player with nothing else running. Did they not encode it right? I haven't looked at it on PC yet. You'd think being on Apple.com/trailers they would have checked this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Again, maybe it was an 10.2.8 glitch.

I thought you were talking about reloaded...I didn't even know a new revolutions trailer was out(till just now)

It stuttered on my computer too...don't know why...I do have a lot of shit open...but from your guys' reports that won't matter.

I guess I'll try other players.....it still looked aawesome

I am soooooo stoked for november.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I had no issues with it. Perhaps you were running too much stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    A single 1.4 GHz G4 (Giga designs upgrade) couldn't handle the trailer full screen (Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB VRAM) at 1280 x 1024. I am using OS X v10.2.6. 1024 x 768 was better, but still a bit choppy. 800 x 600 full screen was smooth as silk. Try reducing your screen's resolution to accomodate the decoding and reduce the strecthing needed.

Drooling over The Matrix Revolutions,

Blueflame
  • Reply 4 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No I am running nothing else. Also as evidence, MPlayer plays it nearly perfectly with only 1 or 2 skips. I am running NOTHING else. The second one did this too. Maybe it's just the way they encoded it. For example, Family Guy DVDs look REALLY messed up in DVD Player but play fine on a PC and some set tops.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    There must be something weird going on, because MPlayer plays it like a flip book on my computer. I couldn't watch that for more than a few seconds without worrying about seizures.

Strange, Quicktime does OK with lower resolutions for me, doesn't work for you, while MPlayer works for you but becomes psychedelic for me. Could this be attributed to a difference in hardware? Something else?

Blueflame
  • Reply 6 of 14
    What hardware do you have?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    PowerMac (Gigabit Ethernet) ca. 2000

1.4 GHz G4 (previously 400MHz G4...sloooooooooow)

1,408 MB RAM

Radeon 9000 Pro 64 MB Mac Edition

WD 120 GB HD 8MB cache (the trailer is on this drive)

Maxtor 20 GB HD 2MB cache

Apple Studio Display 17" CRT w/ ADC

Assorted other add ons that are probably irrelevant to the performance of the trailer.

Blueflame
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Ok, what's up with your computers. Works fine on a 400Mhz Powerbook on battery with OS 9! Yea, that's the large version.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Don't watch the trailer in "Present Movie" (CMD-F) mode. Use CMD-3.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Still lags. Lags in Safari too. Very weak.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

I am soooooo stoked for november.

Yep. Me too. Looks like it will wrap up a lot of loose ends left by Reloaded.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Yep. Me too. Looks like it will wrap up a lot of loose ends left by Reloaded.

of course
  • Reply 13 of 14
    The third one looks ridiculously good. Can't wait for Return of the King too. I saw a ghetto bootleg trailer for it. Who knows if it was legit. But it looks good. Finally some good movies! Now if only Keanu Reeves could act, and do love scenes. And not show his ass.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    On my single G4 with 400 MHz, it lags and stutters and does the whole charade.

But on my dual G4 with 800 MHz, it's no problem playing the big trailer in full-screen mode at 1024x768.