how to replace hard drive on 12" 500/600mhz ibook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi... my friend and i are trying to replace the hard drive on an ibook. but he doesn't have manual anymore and i could not find it on apple site (but i am sure it's there). can someone help me on where i can find a manual on how to replace hard drive on an ibook (it's pearly white one, and i am sure it's 600mhz-12" screen). and can i use hard drive that came from titanium 500mhz powerbook (20gb) into this ibook? thank you for any information and have a great day!

regards,

kim

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Be very, very careful.

A MacInTouch reader (whose email is given in the link above) used this PDF as a guide in replacing his iBook 500 HD.

This is not an official Apple guide, and what you are trying to do is not easy. I haven't tried it, and I can't guarantee anything. You may damage your computer, and you will void the hell out of your warrantee if you have one. Proceed at your own risk.

And good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If you're going through the trouble of this procedure, why not go for broke and get a really nice big hard drive? Replacing a 10 GB with a 20 GB is an improvement, but you don't want to have to do this procedure more than once. If you put a 40-60 GB drive in, you probably won't ever need to do it again.