replacing dvd-ram w/dvd-r

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there a dvd-r(internal) drive that is available to replace my dvd-ram drive on my g4 dual 500. If not, can anyone recommend an external drive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Go to <a href="http://www.lacie.com"; target="_blank">www.lacie.com</a> for external firewire DVD-R and DVD-RAM and DVD-RW drives.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    The same Pioneer drive that Apple uses is availible.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    If you are wanting to use iDVD, you will need to install an internal unit. External will not work- at least for now. I have given this idea some consideration, too. Also thougt about getting a Firewire case for my old DVD-Ram, if I do go through with it. What I would really like is an Apple brand Firewire external SuperDrive that iDVD will work with. Then again, with MWSF on the way, maybe I should just wait and see what kind of deal Stevie will offer on a new G5 with an improved (faster) Superdrive. Maybe I'll win the lottery before then (Your prayers concerning my win will be appreciated). Set me up with the top of the line!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    Im not so sure that the external drive wont work..... have a look at the iDVD and DVD studio pro forums on the Apple boards - I seem to recall that a few people have the pioneer going externally.

AS for the DVD-ram drive. i am keeping mine becaue it gives me so much flexibility with back up , and I have a DVDram camera that uses 8cm dvdram discs - neat! <a href="http://www.softarch.com"; target="_blank">www.softarch.com</a> are about to release an upgrade for their DVDram Tuneup pro which will allow me to convert the mpegs on my DVdram discs to QT. of course, this is easy for me to say as I also have a 867 with the super dirve (the best of both worlds).

Unrelated, but combined with the above, Panasonic have brought out a set top DVD recorder whcih records DVDram, DVd-r called the DMR-E20. There is even a new model in decembe called the DMR HS1 which is the same and has a 40gig HD too. With the Softarch software I will be able to record DVDram from TV, then put it in my Dual 500 and watch/edit the program too. Kind of neat.

cheers

ada,
  • Reply 5 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    DVD Studio Pro works with external DVD-R drive. iDVD doesn't.

iDVD scans for the drive in the Internal IDE bus. If it detects no superdrive in the bus it will refuse to launch
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]iDVD scans for the drive in the Internal IDE bus. If it detects no superdrive in the bus it will refuse to launch<hr></blockquote>Um... then how come Steve Jobs was running iDVD 2 from a TiBook at the last show? (iPod launch)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I found that info out from XLR8Yourmac's forum