Java causing me problems. . .

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I use and like safari and Netscape (on the PC). Haven't ran into many problems. I was about to recommend a Mac laptop to a Realtor friend as the ease of use is exactly what he needs.

I did a favor for him today as he was out of town and need some info. I when to a site that he needs to view. The Java on my PC and the Mac seem to be Sun based Java, and the site didn't work at all!! The Java tried to load and just stalled out!

I finally uninstalled all the Sun Java, and the site worked correctly under IE on Windows. Now the Netscape on the PC has no Java capability! (arrgh!)

Is there any solution to this problem? I was hopping to set my friend up with a power book, but now can't recommend it as the Java problem will be the deal killer.

Thanks!

-Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    I am a realtor also. I have problems using the newer MLS systems with anything other than Internet Explorer. They are all Java based and the programers have decided to us MS standards instead of industry standard Java. Boo on them. So instead of using a Camino or Safari like I do with everything else I have to use a substandard explorer for accessing MLS.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by cylon

I am a realtor also. I have problems using the newer MLS systems with anything other than Internet Explorer. They are all Java based and the programers have decided to us MS standards instead of industry standard Java. Boo on them. So instead of using a Camino or Safari like I do with everything else I have to use a substandard explorer for accessing MLS.

Hi Cylon,

Is the IE on the Mac or PC?

We tried again this evening and after installing a newer version of IE on the Mac (5.2.3) the MLS thingy just killed the browser. Same thing with Safari, just "unexpectedly quit" as the Finder says.

This sucks as I'm in training right now to become a realtor too and was hoping to use a powerbook instead of a wintel note book and same for my friend. I wanted the great "sleep' feature that the Mac does so very well. No long boot up, or trying to recover from a hibernate that never comes back to life.

I guess we should tell the service that they should use php in stead of MS gunk of java. My old co-workers like the MS stuff because it is easy to write the code, and they don't have to really think. They didn't want to have to do any real programming and use other tools or (their "minds"), because it wasn't easy!

Let me know if you able to get the info on your Mac from the MLS.

-Scott
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    We are just switching to MarketLinks for our MLS. I can only only get part of it to work on my mac IE. Rappotoni we can also use for the next year and it works fine in IE. It did work ok in Safari until the last update they did to Rappatoni, now it refuses to work, except for a few buttons. The program won't crash on me, it just won't work when I click the buttons to do searches.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by scott_r

Hi Cylon,

Is the IE on the Mac or PC?

We tried again this evening and after installing a newer version of IE on the Mac (5.2.3) the MLS thingy just killed the browser. Same thing with Safari, just "unexpectedly quit" as the Finder says.

This sucks as I'm in training right now to become a realtor too and was hoping to use a powerbook instead of a wintel note book and same for my friend. I wanted the great "sleep' feature that the Mac does so very well. No long boot up, or trying to recover from a hibernate that never comes back to life.

I guess we should tell the service that they should use php in stead of MS gunk of java. My old co-workers like the MS stuff because it is easy to write the code, and they don't have to really think. They didn't want to have to do any real programming and use other tools or (their "minds"), because it wasn't easy!

Let me know if you able to get the info on your Mac from the MLS.

-Scott

Does it bring up an applet or are you talking about Javascript? If its an applet, is it necessary? There is a setting to disable java (in IE, not sure about Safari).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by cylon

We are just switching to MarketLinks for our MLS. I can only only get part of it to work on my mac IE. Rappotoni we can also use for the next year and it works fine in IE. It did work ok in Safari until the last update they did to Rappatoni, now it refuses to work, except for a few buttons. The program won't crash on me, it just won't work when I click the buttons to do searches.

Cylon,

Thanks for the info about the other options. We'll have to check them out.

-Scott
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

Does it bring up an applet or are you talking about Javascript? If its an applet, is it necessary? There is a setting to disable java (in IE, not sure about Safari).

Hi Jukebox,

When you click certain buttons, another window opens and says loading "java" with a progress bar (on the PC Netscape) and just a blank box on the Mac (Safari). Not sure if it's an applet. When it works correctly, you just get a list that you can click on one the the lines and click ok. I think it's over kill for what their trying to do.

What ever Java Netscape, Mozilla or Safari use (pretty sure it's Sun, especially on the PC), it seems to have problems with certain sites. And I'm sure it must be some MS specific stuff. I've even had some problems between IE 5 and IE 6 on the PC. 5 works and IE 6 doesn't. So their not even consistent between there own versions.

I'd like to see these site use php as I haven't had and problems with anything using php.

Would like to be able to specify which one is used so I can have both loaded and switch on the fly (on the PC). Not sure what options we have on the Mac. I like to use a powerbook, but looks like that won't be happening.