What's happening with WebObjects?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is it dead in the water? Is it going to get updated? Does anyone know if Apple is still actually working on it, or is it going to become HyperCard v2?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Well, since the iTMS is using it (and I assume it will be used in some form for the Windows version), I would assume it's still being developed. If I recall, didn't Apple purchase the technology from someone else? Was it part of the IP they got from NeXT?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Yeah, I believe it was NeXT. But, it always seemed so promising, but hasn't ever blossomed. It had potential, especially after they reduced the price. I guess I just feel like it never acheived the potential it could have. I may be wrong.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It was yet another 'years ahead of anyone else' technology that got squandered.

Soon after the web appeared at *all*, NeXT engineers saw the utility of a UI that could be streamed across it ala X Windows, but with enterprise in mind. So, WebObjects. You create a WO app and can run it 'local', or run it 'distributed' over a web server. It's essentially client/server applications, ala .NET, but from *1995*.

And it works.

But, NeXT didn't do much of anything with it outside of their core market of Fortune500 companies, and no one else had ever heard of it. It's simply amazing stuff that of course got copied elsewhere. Now, it's looking a bit dated because it was left to languish while MacOS X became the focus, and WO5 went off into Java land for a while. No one's quite sure what the plan is at this point. It'd be nice to see it refocused on, and made into the stellar technology it could be.