RealPC on a G5?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Over here someone reports that RealPC actually runs on the G5, and runs well at that. If this is true, that would mean emulation under emulation (since it is a Classic app), which is somewhat cool.

Anyhow, has anyone out there been able to try this? I wish I could, but I have no idea where I could get my hands on the software.

Similarily, has anyone tried out Bochs on a G5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    <SNIP>

• Reply 2 of 8
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

http:// ...

You may want to try that link again.

Oops! I think I'll just blame the fact that I'm using an HP at work right now for my copying and pasting not working

But the link is now fixed...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

that would mean emulation under emulation

Not exactly.

Classic on Mac OS X is analogous to WINE on x86 Linux systems. It's not emulated (WINE stands for Wine Is Not a (CPU) Emulator). It just translates the APIs and runs on the native processor without emulating any hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Not exactly.

Classic on Mac OS X is analogous to WINE on x86 Linux systems. It's not emulated (WINE stands for Wine Is Not a (CPU) Emulator). It just translates the APIs and runs on the native processor without emulating any hardware.

Really. That's interesting. That would be why everything in Classic is so fast on my G5.

Still, no matter the tech behind it, I'm intrigued to see this in action.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Over here someone reports that RealPC actually runs on the G5, and runs well at that. If this is true, that would mean emulation under emulation (since it is a Classic app), which is somewhat cool.

Anyhow, has anyone out there been able to try this? I wish I could, but I have no idea where I could get my hands on the software.

Similarily, has anyone tried out Bochs on a G5?

Just for kicks, I launched my old abandoned copy of SoftWindows 3.02 with Windows 3.1. I have it set up to require a manual launch of Windows for the C: prompt. At any rate, it booted into MS DOS just fine. However, it crashed when I typed "win".
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Just for kicks, I launched my old abandoned copy of SoftWindows 3.02 with Windows 3.1. I have it set up to require a manual launch of Windows for the C: prompt. At any rate, it booted into MS DOS just fine. However, it crashed when I typed "win".

In the same vein, has anyone tried an old version of VPC (before they started using pseudo little endian mode...would this be version 4 or 3?) on a G5? Man, I wish I had this software to try out (since reading about how to gte Bochs working is flying way over my head ).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    I would also like to see if this works, at work i have a probram that requires windows and internet explorer.

If emulation of windows vpc/realpc works especially if it works with my snow airport BS, then i could get rid of my dell and get another mac (PB)

has anyone tried vpc--airport, would you have to change anything in the airport administrator or configure in windows a "wireless" connection???

when for a native os10 vpc??
  • Reply 8 of 8
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    I bought Open OSX but I have as of yet got it to let me install W2k. I did however boot linux Redhat 6.0 seems ok on my dual G5.