Problems networking 2 macs in X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Having no luck connecting my old G4 350 Desktop with my brand spanking new G4 15" AL.

Have new Airport acting as router, and while both can see the internet (DHCP is on) they refuse to see each other.

Desktop is running 10.1.5; Laptop running 10.2.7.

Tried turning on Appletalk on both, no go.

Manually set IP on desktop: no go.

Dynamic addresses are being assigned to each, and they are different, so the Base Station is seeing them okay.

Really very annoying, since this is something I had trouble with since X came out.

Dang it, it should just work, but is giving me a headache.

I don't want to tell people all the great things about this laptop and then end it with "but I can't network it worth a damn".

Thanks all for your help in advance.

Flatpainter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    turn file sharing on maybe?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    to be more specific ...

System Prefs - Sharing - (you might have to click the lock and enter your password here) - Enable Personal File Sharing .

For security reasons, i think the default on a new installation is to have file sharing DISabled
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

to be more specific ...

System Prefs - Sharing - (you might have to click the lock and enter your password here) - Enable Personal File Sharing .

For security reasons, i think the default on a new installation is to have file sharing DISabled

Thanks, King.

Idiot child me just didn't do all those things at the same time. Also, I was fooling myself that Personal File Sharing was only the Public Folder, not the entire chosen drive or folder. Sigh. Making it more complicated than it needed to be.

Thanks again.

Flatpainter

P.S. I'm so enjoying using my new laptop in the living room without having to worry about cables and the rest.